• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Juliano's World Frenzy/Tech's Trip Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.

rg177

Established Member
Associate Staff
International Transport
I can empathise with the waning interest in the UK scene. I still love a good bash in London for example but my requirements are plummeting and there's less and less motivation to spend the money on going down there. Bashing in the continent is far more interesting and is often a lot more cost effective with the possibilities indeed being far greater!

As for the social life balance, it's a difficult one to get right but a good one to get right.

As for the weight loss, driving and moving into your own place. Good luck with all those. It sounds like 2018 may well be your year if you persevere.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
After the trip to london I've seen very little mysèlf or had the inclination to go out. Chasing 2 VTEC coaches and 1 rake of GC HST trailers for sight, barely sets my pulse racing or motivates me to go chasing them.
Work and Xmas shopping have also curtailed any money to even contemplate going anywhere too. Theŕes been the odd stuff going past the house but if I miss out seeing it, I've been, oh well so be it.
I think the silly season puts us all the back foot too tech. So I guess your not alone tech.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
I've been a crank for nearly forty years; during that time I've had several periods, some lasting into years, when I've had little to no interest in railways.
Currently, my interest is at an all time high but there's no guarantee that'll continue for ever.
If you don't feel it, it's pointless, possibly even destructive, to force it.
My advice, therefore, is go with your gut.
The enjoyment of the UK scene may or may not return at some point.
Whichever way it goes, good luck in your endeavours.

I have to agree with your comment it's pointless forcing it. I always trust my gut, it's only wrong a couple of times out of every thousand after all. Thanks for the good luck, I know for a fact I will need it!

I’m still playing catching up with reports. They don’t half build up over a few weeks.
I read your statement of fact and can see exactly where you’re coming from. I’ll always love the railways and travelling by train but I wouldn’t spend my money personally on chasing units these days. I could see me trying to do all the shacks or all the branch lines if I had more time and money maybe.
As far as getting fit goes I actually when for a run yesterday morning and quite enjoyed it. Maybe it’s a mid life crisis I’m having :lol:. I haven’t even got any proper trainers. Going to try again later.

Chasing units does get boring, not to mention expensive!

There must be a small part of me that thinks I'll return to the scene though, as this time I didn't delete all my needs files on my phone. They're all stored just on the off-chance, as I deleted them once and I regretted it majorly as it took days to re-create them!

Hope the run goes/went well, running is not my thing and I prefer to put the oomph into my walking instead!

I can empathise with the waning interest in the UK scene. I still love a good bash in London for example but my requirements are plummeting and there's less and less motivation to spend the money on going down there. Bashing in the continent is far more interesting and is often a lot more cost effective with the possibilities indeed being far greater!

As for the social life balance, it's a difficult one to get right but a good one to get right.

As for the weight loss, driving and moving into your own place. Good luck with all those. It sounds like 2018 may well be your year if you persevere.

I quite sympathise there, it costs a fortune to get to/from London after all. Euro cranking sure has caught on, as I know someone else who's recently discovered the joys of it! The balance is near enough there, and it has to be said there's a big gap to fill so I'm figuring out how to fill my days off and keep active. Easier said than done, but I do know someone who loves photography and I might find myself getting into that too. I just need to decide on the subject matter which appeals to point a camera at.

As I said to my group, The Green Army, my 33rd year is scheduled to be my best year ever if everything works out.

After the trip to london I've seen very little mysèlf or had the inclination to go out. Chasing 2 VTEC coaches and 1 rake of GC HST trailers for sight, barely sets my pulse racing or motivates me to go chasing them.
Work and Xmas shopping have also curtailed any money to even contemplate going anywhere too. Theŕes been the odd stuff going past the house but if I miss out seeing it, I've been, oh well so be it.
I think the silly season puts us all the back foot too tech. So I guess your not alone tech.

Aye but don't forget LSG you've got far more needs than most of us, so a trip to London has to be extremely exciting! Don't get me wrong, it's not like I'm at Kite's levels of needs down there, so I could score big relatively easily. The desire to do it though, no I just don't have it. One day, maybe, but right now the answer is no.

What *does* appeal is exploring more of the world. I have two other countries on my Bucket List that are scheduled to fall as soon as physically possible next year, and I already have a plan for both of them. Just need the time off first and I expect to have the details announced in February.

That's the other thing, while buses/coaches and trains no longer excite me I'm more than happy to jet off whenever possible. I mean, given the choice of the following two options, which would you all choose?

1) Trekking up and down the same area all day at significant expense
2) Taking off and exploring somewhere new, somewhere exciting

I know which I would choose happily

fowler9

Established Member
Hey Tech, whatever you decide to do I
I have to agree with your comment it's pointless forcing it. I always trust my gut, it's only wrong a couple of times out of every thousand after all. Thanks for the good luck, I know for a fact I will need it!

There must be a small part of me that thinks I'll return to the scene though, as this time I didn't delete all my needs files on my phone. They're all stored just on the off-chance, as I deleted them once and I regretted it majorly as it took days to re-create them!

Hope the run goes/went well, running is not my thing and I prefer to put the oomph into my walking instead!

I quite sympathise there, it costs a fortune to get to/from London after all. Euro cranking sure has caught on, as I know someone else who's recently discovered the joys of it! The balance is near enough there, and it has to be said there's a big gap to fill so I'm figuring out how to fill my days off and keep active. Easier said than done, but I do know someone who loves photography and I might find myself getting into that too. I just need to decide on the subject matter which appeals to point a camera at.

As I said to my group, The Green Army, my 33rd year is scheduled to be my best year ever if everything works out.

Aye but don't forget LSG you've got far more needs than most of us, so a trip to London has to be extremely exciting! Don't get me wrong, it's not like I'm at Kite's levels of needs down there, so I could score big relatively easily. The desire to do it though, no I just don't have it. One day, maybe, but right now the answer is no.

What *does* appeal is exploring more of the world. I have two other countries on my Bucket List that are scheduled to fall as soon as physically possible next year, and I already have a plan for both of them. Just need the time off first and I expect to have the details announced in February.

That's the other thing, while buses/coaches and trains no longer excite me I'm more than happy to jet off whenever possible. I mean, given the choice of the following two options, which would you all choose?

Hey Tech, whatever you choose to do I hope you enjoy it and keep us posted.

D841 Roebuck

Established Member
I've been a crank for nearly forty years; during that time I've had several periods, some lasting into years, when I've had little to no interest in railways.
Currently, my interest is at an all time high but there's no guarantee that'll continue for ever.
If you don't feel it, it's pointless, possibly even destructive, to force it.
My advice, therefore, is go with your gut.
The enjoyment of the UK scene may or may not return at some point.
Whichever way it goes, good luck in your endeavours.
That sums me up as well - a somewhat dilettante approach for the last 46 years.

Tech - enjoy yourself whatever you do; that's the most important thing...:)

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
You could almost wipe all our messages out and just go with this one - :lol:
Tech - enjoy yourself whatever you do; that's the most important thing...:)

That’s basically it isn’t it?
It’s a hobby. We don’t have to do anything other than enjoy it for our relaxation.

Keith Jarrett

Fully agree with all preceding comments. As folk will know, a change in circumstances last year has forced me to be far less prolific both here and on the bashing front. I'm currently neglecting both bashing and the social front to a certain degree (e.g. I used to go for an after work pint or two almost every Friday with a friend - now I am lucky if that happens once a month). By the sounds of things, we've all dipped in and out of the hobby to a greater or lesser extent but it seems as though no matter how hard you try to resist, once a basher, always a basher!

So Tech, we all fully understand that you wish to do something different and reprioritise your life at the same time (that employer of yours is not helping though) but you'll be missed. So feel free to pop back even if it's just for a friendly bit of banter or even to let us know that you are still in the land of the living.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Afternoon all,

Well I am still about! As is clear to all and sundry, I've been silent here lately. I just haven't had the desire to come on here or do anything train-wise for a while. I got an email advising of the latest PSUL list for 2018, and while I went through some of it I just couldn't be bothered to check through the whole lot.

Last Monday was a very...interesting, shall we say...day for me. I won't go into detail, but I can tell you that I haven't yet found anything to fill the void that the UK railway has left. To be honest there's been no time for working it out either, I've been enjoying myself but also because I've been sorting out implementation of my 2018 Grand Plan. I've talked about it before, but I'm actually working on it now and making progress.

While one phase of the plan has been put on the backburner, I've learnt a lot from the initial experience and the second implementation of that phase may well go better. It took me nearly a week to recover from that big decision, but for the sake of an amazing friendship I'm glad I've made that decision.

Anyway, that's not the big news. Phase 1, the excess mass shredding, is still going but there's bigger news still...

Tomorrow, assuming the weather behaves, I'm going to begin my move out of my Mum's house! Only a double room in a shared house, but it's a start and one day I may move on from that too but this will all be good experience!

It will make all other phases of 2018's grand plan much more workable, although it has to be said the UK railway still doesn't feature in that plan. Exploring the world, yes that is in there but the next phases of the plan involve much bigger things...

I do plan to share the story of my Alicante trip, once that is done in less than a month, which will of course get posted here. All trips beyond that, no-one knows and that includes me!

Hope everyone is well and getting ready for Christmas!

fowler9

Established Member
Afternoon all,

Well I am still about! As is clear to all and sundry, I've been silent here lately. I just haven't had the desire to come on here or do anything train-wise for a while. I got an email advising of the latest PSUL list for 2018, and while I went through some of it I just couldn't be bothered to check through the whole lot.

Last Monday was a very...interesting, shall we say...day for me. I won't go into detail, but I can tell you that I haven't yet found anything to fill the void that the UK railway has left. To be honest there's been no time for working it out either, I've been enjoying myself but also because I've been sorting out implementation of my 2018 Grand Plan. I've talked about it before, but I'm actually working on it now and making progress.

While one phase of the plan has been put on the backburner, I've learnt a lot from the initial experience and the second implementation of that phase may well go better. It took me nearly a week to recover from that big decision, but for the sake of an amazing friendship I'm glad I've made that decision.

Anyway, that's not the big news. Phase 1, the excess mass shredding, is still going but there's bigger news still...

Tomorrow, assuming the weather behaves, I'm going to begin my move out of my Mum's house! Only a double room in a shared house, but it's a start and one day I may move on from that too but this will all be good experience!

It will make all other phases of 2018's grand plan much more workable, although it has to be said the UK railway still doesn't feature in that plan. Exploring the world, yes that is in there but the next phases of the plan involve much bigger things...

I do plan to share the story of my Alicante trip, once that is done in less than a month, which will of course get posted here. All trips beyond that, no-one knows and that includes me!

Hope everyone is well and getting ready for Christmas!
Alright mate. Good to hear from you and made up to hear things are moving forward. I am completely unprepared for Christmas always. My favourite part of Christmas has been and gone already, the lads Christmas day out on the lash in Chester. Unlike some other parties this time of year we are very well behaved and just visit a few real ale pubs.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
I was meant to be on a Christmas bash last night, but I got stranded where I currently am and was again today. Might well be tomorrow unless things brighten up fast, sick of being stuck here and want my darn freedom now!

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Thanks lrd and Keith!

7th night tonight in my new place, not quite totally used to it yet but nearly there. Being good at budgeting helps a lot in this situation, although there's still a lot to sort out yet on that front. I must remember to call Beer52 tomorrow and cancel that subscription...

Other things are progressing in the right direction too, but no further details yet. My return to the rails is still a long way off, if indeed it happens at all. I have my holiday in Alicante in a few weeks time, which will be much needed.

Nothing else to tell really, just thought I'd pop on here with that update. Laptop screen has died on me so my DVDs are just sitting there waiting to be watched. As much as I'd love to get on with watching them, I don't have that option right now which sucks!

fowler9

Established Member
Thanks lrd and Keith!

7th night tonight in my new place, not quite totally used to it yet but nearly there. Being good at budgeting helps a lot in this situation, although there's still a lot to sort out yet on that front. I must remember to call Beer52 tomorrow and cancel that subscription...

Other things are progressing in the right direction too, but no further details yet. My return to the rails is still a long way off, if indeed it happens at all. I have my holiday in Alicante in a few weeks time, which will be much needed.

Nothing else to tell really, just thought I'd pop on here with that update. Laptop screen has died on me so my DVDs are just sitting there waiting to be watched. As much as I'd love to get on with watching them, I don't have that option right now which sucks!
Good to hear you are getting there mate. Sorry to hear about the laptop though, have had that happen to me, pain in the neck. Hope the people you are living with are alright. (You are in a share house aren't you?)

heart-of-wessex

Established Member
Just remember don't throw away your books! You taught me that once, when I nearly threw my book away when I was about to give up, but I kept it and then managed to get back into it again.

I know the scene was different then, and maybe you will pack in UK stuff and of course it's your choice, but I'm just saying in case you regret throwing it away, I would have regretted it for years if you didn't stop me throwing it away :)

Established Member
Good tip that. Also keep.your flat, if you get in with a woman and it goes sour, you still have somewhere to live and store your books, notebooks etc, remember what my ex did.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Glad to hear you’ve got your own place Tech. Have a great Christmas.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
07/01/2018 - Tech's World Frenzy 2018, Day 1

Hello all, welcome to 2018's first instalment of my world exploration trips! It has been quite a while since a trip report of any variety, indeed it's been ages since my last proper trip anywhere! This instalment of the series takes me on my first ever visit to Spain, in this case Alicante. I'd got a brilliant deal some months ago with Jet2 Holidays, £192 for Birmingham to Alicante and back with 4 nights in a reasonable hotel including breakfast.

So this trip began with having to get to Birmingham the day before the outward flight, thus being the first rail journey of 2018. I had originally planned to leave Hereford in the afternoon, but my body clock still had me awake by 0618 so it was up and about to do final prep and some housework. This was also to be my first journey with WMR, which took some doing to remember it was no longer LM!

Some of you at least will be wondering what I've been up to in my absence from the rails. Well, not masses of stuff. I've moved into Hereford since my last trip, and it's been socialising when possible and working loads. I've also been putting into action some of my 5-phase Grand Plan, although Phase 3 has kind of fallen by the wayside for the duration. Moving out was Phase 2, and Phase 5 is back in the consideration phase after a failed implementation. Before you ask, no there will not be details! Phase 1, the excess mass shredding, is still underway and is a long-term project. I've also started on Phase 4, which shall be discussed in fuller detail another time. That's basically it, except I'm determined I'll conquer Dry January. Not proving as easy as I thought, but my other friends have already failed it so I'm pleased to be doing well. Still a long way to go yet mind! Oh, and since the original typing of this trip report I've added a Phase 6, which is to explore at least one more country in 2018.

Finally, since I'm now paying rent my trips away will be few and far between during 2018. I still want to get through more of my Bucket List, but I simply cannot afford to do much yet. This may or may not change as we go through 2018, but don't take this long-ago-booked trip as a sign I'm back full time on the rails!

So with that all discussed, let's get back to the trip itself...170635 became my first train of the year, and I passed the time to Malvern Link reading a book I'd been given for Christmas. I bailed there as there was rumour of a Paddington to Great Malvern being booked for an 800, alas the fester in the cold proved fruitless as it was a 165. However, as it was required it was to feature later...To get out of the cold, I joined 172338 to Super Dud it on a leap to Worcester Foregate Street. 10 minutes after alighting, I joined winner 165106 for the 50 chain leap to Worcester Shrub Hill.

Just under an hour left to fill before the next service to Birmingham, I ended up in Cafe Loco for a bacon baguette and a coffee for a slightly early lunch. The next Paddington to Malvern was an HST so I made my way over to 172219+172342 for the trek via Kidderminster to Birmingham Moor Street. 107 pages of my book read by the time I reached Smethwick Galton Bridge, that would do for the time being while I figured out what to do during the afternoon.

Upon arrival at Moor Street, I spied a required 168/3 heading to Snow Hill, so after checking the Leamington stopper which was dud 165016, I got a Daytripper and then a large coffee. Double duds 172218+172212 took me up the hill to Snow Hill to join dud 168328 and winner 168327 on a leap to Moor Street. Sadly the next Chiltern runs were all duds, so I went to check in at easyHotel Birmingham. A really nice modern place, and really close to Brewdog Birmingham, and the temptation to visit, as you can imagine, as a beer enthusiast was enormous!

Back at Moor Street, my luck was still not in and I was regretting buying a Daytripper! However, just as I was going to head to New Street, I realised I could Super Dud 165016, so on I went to do just that for a trip to Dorridge. A supply raid was carried out at Sainsburys, and it was getting colder outside to the extent I felt warmer when I went to Norway! 168110 got the Super Dud treatment on the way back to Moor Street, and I headed to New Street. 390045 got a bit closer to Super Dud status on a trip to Coventry, just because I could, before joining 390123 for the same reasons on the journey back to New Street.

I had by now decided my Dry January ruling was too draconian, and my original plan of the odd beer here and there was the better plan. If Brewdog hadn't been so close to my hotel I daresay this may not have happened, but equally I was bored off my derriere too! Two winner beers had there and I felt a bit tipsy, and I retreated to my room to de-rancify and unwind before crashing out. Or at least, that was the plan...

Kite159

Veteran Member
Good to know that Easyhotel is easy enough to locate :)

Good also on you picking up a couple winning units, although the Birmingham area for you is slim pickings to a handful of Chiltern units.

Enjoy your holiday to the South of Spain

noddy1878

Established Member
As Kite has said considering you have very little to go after in the west mids you did all right. I think turning Dryjanuary into Tryanuary was a much better idea, especially as you're now on holiday.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Thanks for the positive comments lads :) Yes it is indeed slim picking in the Midlands these days, and a large part of me wished I'd stayed home to finish off How I Met Your Mother season 9 (I've been on a mission to re-watch all 9 seasons in the last month) and left in the afternoon. Either way, it's done now!

08/01/2018 - Tech's World Frenzy 2018, Day 2

Having finally got to sleep around 10pm, I was not happy to be awoken at half 2, 3am and half 3 by the drunks on my floor causing disturbances! I used some time to update my books, and I was still super early for my intended train. First Class single bought, and the lounge doesn't open until 0615 on a Monday so I was struggling to work out what to do as it was like Stranraer in 2011 outside. Thankfully I remembered McDonalds and I note they're open 24/7 so that was quite a saving grace! Double cheeseburger and large coffee was well worth £3.18 and I got my trip report back up to date.

The 0529 to London Euston was formed of 390130 today and I got it a step closer to Super Dud on this run. Why go First Class? I just fancied it for the leap to Birmingham International! To my surprise there was a hot drink run in coach K halfway to Birmingham International, which I only just finished before I alighted! Bag drop was cleared within 10 minutes and security in about the same, after which it was my first Pret coffee in months. Tech's Favourite Flying Tunes playlist helped pass the time before another visit to Pret, this time including a bottle of water for the flight.

Gate 59 for me, the first time at this one, and I was first in the queue which gave me time to grab a photo of my 737-800 and to update this report. Rather cold on this side of the airport too! Eventually got going with boarding, and my seat had been changed at bag drop from 32E to 7C which was most welcome. Late running passenger assistance meant I was outside in bitter winds for ages, so the warmth on board winner G-JZHM was most welcome! Doors closed at 0739, push-back was at 0751, 6 down, and I was finally in the air after a long taxi at 0809.

Much reading was done over the following 2 hours, and the book I started only 24 hours previously was now nearly finished! I noted the Kenco coffee has been replaced by Starbucks Via on board, and gone up by 20p to £2.70, so there was no on-board purchase from me! Similarly with the sales trolley, I had my eye on one of the model 737-800s to build my collection. Umm, yeah, they were only interested in serving the women their creams, watches and perfumes and went past me rather rapidly, and to be honest I couldn't be bothered to chase them down. Maybe on the return flight!

Decent to Alicante began around 1000 UK time, at 1109 (GMT +1 from now on until further notice) we were 20 minutes from landing and over Valencia. Landing was at 1131 and arrival at the terminal at 1137, 12 down. After baggage reclaim, which took a while as my case was almost the last one off, I got a bus for €3,85 into Alicante and nearly missed the stop for the tram. €1,45 later and I was soon on winner tram 4106 to La Isleta.

A 7 minute walk to base camp, Hotel Albahia, and I was soon checked in. Huge room with a decent size bathroom too! Unpacking and a bit of a catchup later, I was soon headed to the nearest bit of beach and ended up enjoying a pint of Cruzcampo at La Ola. Really nice beer that was! Eventually I found my way to the beach at Albufetera which was far nicer, and after a quick visit I was off to the trams to get into town for an explore.

Winner tram 4223 took me to Luceros, the end of the line, and I had a good walk around the city before finding a supermarket for supplies, which ended up mostly being required beers. I then found the best beach of the lot, Playa del Postiguet, and enjoyed a couple of small beers while soaking up the sun. Eventually I decided I needed food, and 6 chicken nuggets from Burger King got chosen. I then found tons of places selling better food at similar prices, d'oh!

As it was dropping off fairly fast now, I went to Mercado tram station and joined winner tram 4212 to La Isleta. I was also rather tired by now, so a nice rest in the hotel was more than welcome. I got this report caught up with then, as it was included in the room rate, I had a short session in the gym. Why not I say! The other two reasons were not having the patience to do bookwork and that now it's 2018 Phase 1 of the year's plan is being ramped up. So much so that, if successful, I'll have managed to shred a quarter of my mass in a year come 21st November 2018. Ambitious, I know, but it needs to happen to be in a position of strength in 2019...

fowler9

Established Member
Great read that Tech and I'm glad the trip is going well so far, will look forward to any photos you post when you get to it (Just enjoy yourself, don't faff around doing that now). Have you tried any of the local tapas?

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Kite, the trams aren't too bad in terms of comfort and are quite nippy. I haven't had a decent length run on one yet so may change that opinion later!

fowler9, I'm killing time before breakfast with uploading yesterday's photos to Flickr, I suspect at some point they will get added to this trip report too. Not tried tapas yet, might do at some point this week. Not a massive amount to do in Alicante for 4 days so currently exploring options.

noddy1878

Established Member
Don't do bookwork when you're on holiday! Enjoy the time off work and the weather because i know it's better than here!

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Oh I'm enjoying the time off, don't worry about that! It's also nice to sit outside at gone 8pm in early January to enjoy a cool breeze after an intense session in the gym. Going to miss having a private gym when I leave here, will have to use it on Friday morning before I leave!

09/01/2018 - Tech's World Frenzy 2018, Day 3

After a solid 8 hours sleep, I was awake just after 6am. The time until breakfast service began at 0730 was filled by replying to messages and uploading the photos so far to Flickr. A fair ol' feast was had for breakfast to make up for the lack of food on Day 2, and I was well set up for the day. Eventually I left the hotel and joined winner tram 4205 for the run to Luceros, standing almost all the way on the 9 minute journey.

A quick look at the less than impressive mainline terminal got a few photos of local and Renfe trains, and I decided upon a look on the TVM to go to Valencia for a few hours explore. €29,75 later, declaring this to be a trip vice going to London this month, I had my tickets and proceeded through the security area. This involved my jacket going through an X-ray machine and a scan of myself with the wand. Aside from on Eurostar, I had never seen such a thing on the railway before but I don't blame them for doing so in this day and age.

Eventually my DMU, and I had hoped this train would be a loco-hauled one but never mind, arrived and I joined coach 1 to find seat 44 which I was allocated on the TVM. 599 030 was obviously a winner on the 1003 to Miraflores. No, before you ask, I have no idea where that is! I was due to travel on this for just under 2 hours to Valencia Nord. We passed a yard somewhere about 16 minutes out from Alicante where, to my pleasant surprise, I noted several former Class 58 locos! My NREA was in the room at this point, so whether any of them were required for sight or not remained to be found out. It was still a most welcome sight!

For reference, these DMUs are 3-car trains and I would say they are similar to 175s for comfort and legroom, in terms of noise my comparison would be a cross between a 158 and a 170. They have power sockets at airline seats, of which I was sat on one of, between the seatbacks. The fold down tables at these seats were massive too, almost big enough to have a 2-course meal and a drink on! Also of note on these DMUs is that there are vending machines in the middle coach. Oh, and the seat recline quite a recent amount!

There appeared to be a new high speed line being built somewhere before Xativa, although where I have no idea as I didn't bring my atlas with me. 22kg baggage allowance and my case only weighed in at 8.7kg when I was at bag drop, so I could have easily brought my other books with me! The high speed line runs alongside the route I was on from Xativa onwards for a while, although it looks rather new so might not yet be in use. Arrival at Valencia Nord was at 1159, 3 minutes, and my Regional Express train back was booked at 1502 so it was straight onto exploring the city.

I hadn't realised Valencia had a Metro network, and after working out the route I needed for the beach I tried using the TVM to buy a ticket. A return would have cost me €5, but it was exact cash only and I didn't have that on me so I gave up and tried finding it by foot. After over an hour of walking, and at a decent pace too, I had clearly got lost and gave up. Wherever in the city I was, at that point I was outside Bar Sandra and popped in for a beer. That turned out to be a 330ml bottle of Amstel Oro, which for €1,80 was incredibly nice and good value.

10 minutes later, and that sit down was most welcome, I finally figured out how to decipher the bus route map and figured out where I was. Following bus route 8 would get me back to the station, so I did just that! After a good while I was alongside the railway and could follow that. It still took 40 minutes from Bar Sandra to get to the station so I must have been quite some way out! Some exploring of the city centre then followed, although to be honest I don't know what most of the buildings were that I took photos of.

It was time for a supply raid next, although with no real supermarkets around that took some doing. Of all places, I found a sweet shop where a 330ml can of Mahou and a bottle of water were sourced for €2,30. The shop on the station would have charged me at least €4 for the same stuff so I'm pleased I shopped around! It was then time to find my train back to Alicante, and I discovered to my disappointment if I'd booked the one about 15 minutes earlier I'd have had a loco hauled train. Instead I got 470-123, a 3-car EMU, on the 1502 to Alicante and left 2 minutes late.

It was about 15 minutes of slow trekking through the suburbs before any real speed was had, and fair play we got a good bit of it going on. Much bouncier than the ride to Valencia had been mind, and in terms of comfort and legroom think 175s. In terms of noise, the only thing I could think of in the UK would be a quietened-down 334. I did prefer the walk around Valencia compared to Alicante it must be said, and if I'd had a map I probably wouldn't have got lost and had a very different time. Even so, I doubt I'd have had such a nice beer and I got to see a lot of the city, so it was still an enjoyable afternoon. As for that high speed line, the section west of Xativa is still being done I noted as a significant chunk of track is missing!

Some of you are no doubt wondering if Mahou was any good. I think I would want to try it on tap to be sure, but it wasn't too bad. By Xatvia the clouds had taken over, but at least this train wasn't roasting hot like 599 030 was! Arrival back at Alicante was at 1707, 3 minutes late, and it must be said I was glad I had my jacket as when the breeze was blowing today it made things quite cold. It was now time to go get some food, as breakfast had now worn off. On my way to known places from yesterday that did good food, I stumbled across baguetteitalia near the entrance to Mercado tram station. Two pieces of ham pizza, and generous pieces at that for €3,80 was a bargain and very delicious!

Onwards to the tram next and I had just under 10 minutes for a tram going my way. I joined winner tram 4203 on a leap to Marq-Castillo, before joining winner tram 4108 for the journey back to La Isleta and the walk back to base camp. An easy evening was to be had before the planned visit to the gym, and of course uploading photos needed doing as well. A good day was had, although I had no idea what to fill two more days with! Benidorm is on the cards for tomorrow, and I discovered some more beaches a short tram ride away that I'd like to try out at some point on Thursday.

We'll soon find out what happens! Today's photos have been put on Facebook (I don't think there's many forum members on my Facebook), a selection have been shared in the Live Trip Report on Twitter and just finished uploading today's lot to Flickr. I hope to be able to add some to this trip report at some point tonight or tomorrow morning.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Good to read your report Tech. Interesting to here about travelling in different countries too.
Keep it coming sir ;)

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Good to read your report Tech. Interesting to here about travelling in different countries too.
Keep it coming sir ;)

Glad you're enjoying the read so far! I do feel it's less likely you'll find a UK trip report from me for some time, as I just find Europe so much more appealing. It might change of course, I do have to re-visit London at some point so it will be interesting to see what happens during the year!

Just had breakfast and currently on my last small black coffee before I head to the gym for a short session on the weights. I suspect Benidorm is on the cards today, but given it rained last night here I need to make a decision. No rush as I have all day!

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Glad you're enjoying the read so far! I do feel it's less likely you'll find a UK trip report from me for some time, as I just find Europe so much more appealing. It might change of course, I do have to re-visit London at some point so it will be interesting to see what happens during the year!

Just had breakfast and currently on my last small black coffee before I head to the gym for a short session on the weights. I suspect Benidorm is on the cards today, but given it rained last night here I need to make a decision. No rush as I have all day!
Well I’ve got about two square feet of concrete floor to paint today so think of me while you enjoy an afternoon beer over there ;)

rg177

Established Member
Associate Staff
International Transport
Sounds like a most relaxing time out there.

Coming to you from a BR648 on a Berlin to Wittenberg RegionalExpress having the opposite sort of holiday :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.