• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

TeesTrains

Status
Not open for further replies.

OMGitsDAVE

Well, i've never heard of these before!

http://www.hartlepoolmail.co.uk/news/local/rail_plans_still_on_track_1_4092466

Published on Monday 26 December 2011 16:37

BOSSES at a company with ambitious proposals to bring new rail services to Hartlepool and east Durham say plans are still on track to deliver the scheme.

Chiefs at Tees Trains, a new community-interest company, say their trains could be up and running by May 2014 if their plans get the go-ahead.

The Hartlepool Mail reported in July that the Castle Eden-based firm proposes new rail services which would include a route linking east Durham, Hartlepool, Billingham and Teesside.

WHAT DO YOU THINK? Email the newsdesk

It plans to apply for private funding for its own trains and money from authorities such as regional development agencies or European funding for stations.

The company has been holding public consultation meetings across the area over the last few months and listening to people’s views.

It has also began talks with industry partners, including Network Rail.

David Masterman, one of the company’s four directors, said: “We have started negotiations with all the people we need to speak to.

“We haven’t signed any contracts yet.

“We also had a week of going to various places across Teesside, east Cleveland and east Durham and some of the meetings were well-attended.

“There were a few people who were not quite cynical, but did wish us good luck and doubted we would make progress.

“But everybody without exception we spoke to has been positive about what we propose and said it is a good idea.”

Mr Masterman, who has 20 years experience in the railways, said all the industry contacts the company has been in touch with have also given positive feedback.

“We have had initial discussions with Network Rail and our contact there was quite positive about our proposals,” he added.

“We have spent all of this year finding out those things we need to do.

“The next step is to actually go and do them and that’s to agree things like contracts for leasing trains and getting access onto the railway network.

“The date we are working to is May 2014 for getting the first trains on the tracks.

“We are working through all the different contracts with various industry partners and building up a management structure.”

Mr Masterman said following consultations, there had been slight amendments to the plans, including “relegating” proposals for new stations at venues including Hart Station, Blackhall Rocks and Old Billingham.

Mr Masterman added: “We are quite optimistic for 2012.

“We have made some really big steps this year.

“Everybody we speak to, such as members of the public, people in the industry or rail user groups, have all been 100 per cent positive.”

From Hartlepool Mail.
Discuss.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Pumbaa

Established Member
Good luck to them. But unless there is a serious sponsor prepared to fund a loss-maker, it will never happen.

Pumbaa

Established Member
Until it goes through to somewhere BIG WITH £ it'll never happen looking at that map.

Established Member
They should know that One North East doesn't exist any more (along with any other RDA), and that funding for something such as this is going to be hard to come by.

It would be good if they were to form some sort of open access operator, perhaps contributing a few new stations in the process. Not entirely sure how big the market for rail is at the Loftus end (sure that is only a small village anyway).

bluenoxid

Established Member
Been bumbling along for the past six months or so on my radar but not really pushing much. Then again, it tends to be the quiet ones that make the progress compared to the wibblely ones.

Their Twitter is probably the thing to keep an eye on.

Problem is that it will not really take off until there is a real market for stock in the UK and there is not much of it.

Yew

Established Member
Problem is that it will not really take off until there is a real market for stock in the UK and there is not much of it.

When the 'Main' Toc's start to get their 150's replaced with new/cascaded things? (as long as the dft doesnt let them run them into the ground)

DarloRich

Veteran Member
total and utter pie in the sky! Are they actually suggesting a service from Seaham to Loftus?

Sorry but that is wibble

Poolie

Parmo is a teeside thing......not Hartlepool, still proud to be part of Co. Durham. Pie in the sky, but trains to Castle Eden, Wingate, Sedgefield, Hurworth have happened in the past......would love to see any photos members might have.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Surely it would be a Parmo round there.

Damnit now I want a Parmo!

But anyway whilst I wouldn't object to these services I can't ever see them getting off the ground. For one thing as a non-profit company I suspect they struggle to attract much in private investment (seeing as they won't get a return on their investment) so their only revenue streams are going to be through the fare box (which isn't going to be much) and any money they can get from the EU or from either central or local government.

They also need to track down rolling stock they'll never be able to get hold of new build (unless they manage to tag something onto someone else's order) so they're going to need second hand rolling stock and as we are know there aren't many spare DMUs around.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
mmmmmmmm Parmo!

I just cant see a return on the investment - where are the passengers going to come from? Line speeds are low and the route doesnt serve anywhere from which you can expect to pick up a large commuter flow. Add in the downturn in the north east employment market and you have a recipe for disaster. Plus there is no stock! :lol::roll:

Poolie

The Tall Ships was the most recent highlight in Hartlepool. 47 shuttles and Leander made an amazing few days. Now down to GC for variety, but quite a few coal trains down the coast. Where from and to and who runs them?

Blindtraveler

Established Member
its a nice idea but like others I feer for its longterm success. If they had the backing and all the rest of it they could maybe try get a cupple of ECML paths and run an all stations stopper through newcastle to EdB but it woant happen. Stil good luck to them

DarloRich

Veteran Member
I'm from an industry and fishing city, have lived in fishing towns, former mill towns and in the middle of a desert... And I don't think that's appetising...

13 pints of bitter say otherwise! lol

It is quite nice, honestly!

Maybe this train compnay could serve them up from the buffet

Nym

Established Member
Although I will be honest here, I thought San Jacobs where nice (the're spanish or german, found on the canary islands)

San Jacob sandwich for breakfast :)

It's cheese, wrapped in ham, deep fried in breadcrumb, and you shallow fry it, butter a breadcake and shove it in, eat it for your trek cross desert to work at 6am because sunrise set the allarm off again...!

Back onto topic, I don't see any money in this as a reigonal operation, too many stations being re-opened to make any money, unless the're opened private and charge NT services to stop there, but then they just won't stop...

PS: I didn't put that much weight on when I lived out there, mainly thanks to the heat and walking 1.3miles to work and back... (and working 18hr days)

Even though I did have donner meat and chips and sausage baguettes all day, and basically lived off Dorada and fried foods...

Nym

Established Member
I could say I only know parma ham from delivering it for a wholesaler (same reason I know cheese) but I knew it before I worked for the company with big black vans ;)

Jonny

Established Member
its a nice idea but like others I feer for its longterm success. If they had the backing and all the rest of it they could maybe try get a cupple of ECML paths and run an all stations stopper through newcastle to EdB but it woant happen. Stil good luck to them

Or even better, a Tees to Edinburgh stopper - might abstract some traffic from buses (a good thing IMO - buses should never compete with "heavy" rail) and generate some new tourist traffic for the North Northumberland Coast.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Just found their 'official site' : http://www.teestrainscic.co.uk/

...and their proposed route: http://www.teestrainscic.co.uk/coastliner.html

I think there are three others, one of which is "Dunelm" (old name for Durham). An all-stops "circular" of Newcastle, Seaham, Tees-side and Durham would be really handy.

Established Member
but quite a few coal trains down the coast. Where from and to and who runs them?

Normally Tyne Dock to some power station down south (probably Drax). Plus there is the occasional nuclear flask to Seaton and pipes from Hartlepool Pipe Mill.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Or even better, a Tees to Edinburgh stopper - might abstract some traffic from buses (a good thing IMO - buses should never compete with "heavy" rail) and generate some new tourist traffic for the North Northumberland Coast.

I think there are three others, one of which is "Dunelm" (old name for Durham). An all-stops "circular" of Newcastle, Seaham, Tees-side and Durham would be really handy.

Are you seriously suggesting there is a market for Boro/Hartlepool to Edinburgh? Why not just drive to Darlo or Durham and get the East Coast.

Abstract some traffic from the bus? How when it is only £15 or £20 for a North East - Scotland ticket.

You might have some luck with people going further north ( Aberdeen etc) but Eastern Airways fly out of Teeside and can do the journey in an hour or so.

For an open access operator to make money there has to be an abstraction point (think York/Doncaster for GC) and something to make people get on the trains ( think London) Where is your abstraction point and what is your selling point on this flow? Add to that the question of pathing north of Newcastle along with the neccessary reversal at Central Station in order to go north form the coast line and you are creating a lot of problems (unless you suggest south and then north via Darlo - but then you have to reverse at Boro)

Sorry but this idea is just not going to fly
You call someone a philistine for knowing about parma ham and not about the parmo? I'd say that makes him enlightened

that was called HUMOUR! :D I dont think many people (except us lucky north easterns) have experianced the full pleasure of a parmo

It is the most disgusting think I've ever had the misfortune to taste! Enough said! :)

BlythPower

Loftus is already well served with buses. It's a large ex-mining village. Having driven through it a few times, the locals don't look the sort to travel far. Just to Boro once in a while for a new shellsuit.

Seaham seems an odd choice for the northern end too. Surely better to try and tap into Sunderland or Gateshead. I guess constraints caused by the Metro may scupper that.

Now... a pork parmo with proper parmesam on... :D

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Loftus is already well served with buses. It's a large ex-mining village. Having driven through it a few times, the locals don't look the sort to travel far. Just to Boro once in a while for a new shellsuit.

Seaham seems an odd choice for the northern end too. Surely better to try and tap into Sunderland or Gateshead. I guess constraints caused by the Metro may scupper that.

Now... a pork parmo with proper parmesam on... :D

Now you see a pork one IS the correct parmo. However many of the take aways are now owned by muslims who dont eat or touch pork, hence a chicken parmo. I beleive the first ones were veal based. It is also possible to obtain a parmo pizza!

I wonder what else Tees Trains could serve?

What about a Fat Rascal ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fat_rascal ) served with a pot of tea. Perhaps that could be a good addition to the afternoon tea menu.

See that East Coast - THAT^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ is menu planning :lol: (Call it a 100k consultancyfee if you like and we will be quits!)

Nym

Established Member
Coming from someone who is applying to work for both ARUP and Atkins I am offended that you would only offer a £100k constltancy fee for that!

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Coming from someone who is applying to work for both ARUP and Atkins I am offended that you would only offer a £100k constltancy fee for that!

ah but i am not greedy! ( plus it isnt a governemnt contract!)

If they want the FULL menu it will cost a lot more

Parmo's are vile. I honestly don't know a single person who isn't from the Tees area who actually likes them. I think it is brainwashing from the locals to create a sort of misguided identity.

As for the plans. There is more chance of Alec Salmond joining the conservatives than this going ahead.

Firstly, no link to Sunderland? Secondly, pathing issues through Hartlepool. Thirdly...FINANCE. Fourthly, no evidence of patronage. Fifthly and finally, it will not be approved as an open access route as it is completely in Northern's territory.

I admit that the line is not as well served as it could be. But until they build a station at Peterlee/Hordon and attract people away from the buses to Sunderland, there never will be enough interest to increase the services.

Status
Not open for further replies.