• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Telephoto Lens Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BJMorley

Hello, after I get an Canon SLR (Xmas Pressie + Saved up), I am thinking of a few lenses that would be good. I have been told that a 50mm is good for linside shots, but I'm looking at 2 Telephoto lens, and can't decide which would be the better lens.
The 2 lenses are:
Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS
Canon EF 70-300mm f4-5.6 IS USM
I know theres an advantage of an extra 100mm with the last one, but is the 55-200mm any good?
Any help appeciated!!!
Brandon

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

eos

The choice of lens depends on the camera you are getting- the EF-S doesn't work/will not fit a full frame sensor camera...

eos

The 70-300mm , because the camera has a less than full size sensor, with a crop factor of 1.6 will be the equivalent of (70x1.6) -(300x1.6) , ie 112-480mm.
The EF-s lens will stay as it is as it already been corrected and will only fit cameras with APS size sensors. Both lenses will fit and work with the EOS450D, but I think you will have problems with the 70-300mm... Photographing trains , you will need to be at least the width of a football pitch away to get a shot. Imagine trying to take a picture thru a telescope!!!...

If you are rethinking your choice of lenses , remember that EF-S lenses are as per their specification, EF lenses multiply by the crop factor ( usually 1.6 for Canon and the sort of cameras around today.)

BJMorley

Well it says the closest focusing distance is 1.5m, but is the 55-200 any good? also I have seen the 75-300, I think Sam (IL165's) has a 75-300mm, can't remember.
Thanks for that eos (EOS ;) )
Brandon

eos

I don't have personal experience of 75-200mm IS lens myself, but from what I remember its a fine lens. I've certainly not heard any 'bad' comments about its performance or reliability.

One final point to bear in mind in your choice of camera and that's the next one you might buy in a few years time.

EF-S lens only fit EOS cameras with APS size (small) sensor. They will not fit full frame cameras, because they extend too far into the shutter area, and will hit it if the shutter was released..
So , If you think you may buy a 'better' camera in a couple of years , and that may be the full frame sensor, then EF-S lenses cannot be taken forward... You could end up spending a lot of cash now on a lens, and in 2-3 years virtually be worthless. Its your call what you want, just trying to see you don't waste your money now...

BJMorley

Thanks for that!!! I am thinking of buying second hand (LCE Group or people like that), so If I do change my camera it's not going to cost an arm and a leg. If I do move up some time, it's probaby going to be the 40D or 50D, or, if it's our by then, the 60D!!
Brandon

Craig

Established Member
Do you have a budget?

Also you need to think about the type of shots you want to take. Most of the ones on my site were taken with an EF-S 17-55mm f2.8. I also used to have the EF 70-200mm F4, but recently got rid of that as I wasn't using it much.

BJMorley

I normally use it to take pictures of things that are further away, eg. in yards, also, locos in stations and that kind of stuff. As I said I'm looking for second hand stock, from what I've been looking is from £50 for the 50mm, and upto £200 for some of the zooms.
I'm not just going to use the lenses for rail photography, I am hoping to use the camera in school as I'm regulary asked to be the paparazzi ;) :lol: :lol:
Brandon

devon_metro

Established Member
I normally use it to take pictures of things that are further away, eg. in yards, also, locos in stations and that kind of stuff. As I said I'm looking for second hand stock, from what I've been looking is from £50 for the 50mm, and upto £200 for some of the zooms.
I'm not just going to use the lenses for rail photography, I am hoping to use the camera in school as I'm regulary asked to be the paparazzi ;) :lol: :lol:
Brandon

Do you really need a DSLR for station shots??

BJMorley

well, I don't want a compact as I can't do anything without the flash going off.. and don't you read? I said I want to use it for other stuff.

16CSVT2700

Established Member
Do you have a budget?

Also you need to think about the type of shots you want to take. Most of the ones on my site were taken with an EF-S 17-55mm f2.8. I also used to have the EF 70-200mm F4, but recently got rid of that as I wasn't using it much.
I would love it if they made a 17-85mm f/2.8..

devon_metro

Established Member
well, I don't want a compact as I can't do anything without the flash going off.. and don't you read? I said I want to use it for other stuff.

DSLRs arent the only cameras with flashes that can be disabled on the universe you know :roll: jeeez

BJMorley

I am thinking of buying second hand (LCE Group or people like that), so If I do change my camera it's not going to cost an arm and a leg. If I do move up some time, it's probaby going to be the 40D or 50D, or, if it's our by then, the 60D!!
Brandon
Also, I'm saving up, so don't get yer hopes up!!

Last edited:

Craig

Established Member
If you've got a spare £10k to invest and produce one be my guest :lol:

Actually, I might just get one of these with the money instead :lol:

EF%20800mm%20f-5.6%20L%20IS_w200_tcm14-498978.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.