• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Telescope required to buy cigarettes !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Butts

Veteran Member
Have just returned from Tesco having had to purchase some cigarettes as I have finally exhausted my "Luxembourg Supply":oops:

On approaching the counter I thought they were changing the prices as I could not make out how much each brand were in the display. They are microscopic the price labels even with 20/20 unreadable. The products themselves are clearly visible. Imagine if they did this with prices displays in any other area of the supermarket. If anything the price is a deterrent I would have thought.

New Government legislation according to the lady behind the counter and coming in September "Sliding Doors" Yes folks from that date the purchase of a packet of cigarettes becomes somewhat akin to that of a "top shelf product" or "something for the weekend" at the Barbers in the old days. I wonder if they will be issuing the product in brown paper bags;)

The Elephant in the room - corner shops are exempt from the legislation for the first couple of years .....and where do most kids buy their sweets etc and hence be more likely to see the evil weed .....

Answers on a postcard .....<D

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

phil8715

It's ridiculous. Kids will still buy fags whether they are locked away or on display.

It doubt it will be long before alcohol with go the same way because of binge drinkers.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Yew

Established Member
Unfortunately the current view of all governments is that we smoke and drink too much, despite statistical evidence to the contrary. Hence some of these silly laws comin into existence

SS4

Established Member
Wouldn't one use a microscope instead? Unless of course the price is astronomical
rimshot.gif

Alas it's too easy for successive governments to hike the price of cigarettes, alcohol and petrol - the former two is still a minority and the latter is a captive market.

Badger

I'm probably alone in saying "good".
... I really hate cigarettes.

But there's no excuse for the prices being unreadable.

Nonsense

I noticed at motorway services the other day that my old favourite is now £7.90 for 20 :shock: And I could easily get through 40 a day.

Give em up, you'll wonder what you ever got from it. The answer of course is nothing.

Nym

Established Member
I went from over 100 to 160/day down to 15 odd in a month or so, was a complete **** for weeks, not as much as when I stopped...

Butts

Veteran Member
I went from over 100 to 160/day down to 15 odd in a month or so, was a complete **** for weeks, not as much as when I stopped...

100 to 160 a day is that a misprint Nym ???? - makes me look like a social smoker :lol:

Nym

Established Member
No, it's not a misprint...

I went into work in the morning with a pack of 200 and usually only had 3 or 4 packs left over, took one of them home and finished it that night...

Calling bingo is conducive to chain smoking...

*drag* red one and three, thirteen. *blow* Green five and seven, fifty seven *have a sip of my pint* (etc etc.)

It did surprise them at the PTS medical when I gave them that number... heh

richw

Veteran Member
apparently fake ciggys have increased ten fold in the uk, being sold by similar to drug dealers, since the new white shutters have been introduced!

Butts

Veteran Member
No, it's not a misprint...

I went into work in the morning with a pack of 200 and usually only had 3 or 4 packs left over, took one of them home and finished it that night...

Calling bingo is conducive to chain smoking...

*drag* red one and three, thirteen. *blow* Green five and seven, fifty seven *have a sip of my pint* (etc etc.)

It did surprise them at the PTS medical when I gave them that number... heh

I used to be a Bingo Hall Manager we were not allowed to smoke when calling -well at least not officially- I got out before the ban came in - how can you work on promotions without a "fag on" :oops:

Talking of Medicals all the managers on our area had to have a health screening - one guy defied medical science....

Fry Ups.......
60 a Day........
10 Pints a day.....

According to the screening he ought to have been pushing up daisies but he was probably the exception to the rule :idea:
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
apparently fake ciggys have increased ten fold in the uk, being sold by similar to drug dealers, since the new white shutters have been introduced!

Have these shutters arrived in England already then ? - forgive my ignorance but I can't see why there would be a correlation between their introduction and counterfit snouts on the increase - thats more to do with price surely ?
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I noticed at motorway services the other day that my old favourite is now £7.90 for 20 :shock: And I could easily get through 40 a day.

Give em up, you'll wonder what you ever got from it. The answer of course is nothing.

Ah Motorway Services second only to WHS Rail and Air outlets in the price stakes:p

I think to give up you must really want to - I don't - but I wouldn't mind cutting down a bit :roll:

WestCoast

Established Member
It's a far cry from some of those cigarette vending machines that you still see on the streets in certain countries in Europe (although they are much less common now).

Nym

Established Member
I used to be a Bingo Hall Manager we were not allowed to smoke when calling -well at least not officially- I got out before the ban came in - how can you work on promotions without a "fag on" :oops:

This wasn't in the UK ;) or even the EU...

But yeah, the shutters have been here for a while in the new asda...

Have these shutters arrived in England already then ? - forgive my ignorance but I can't see why there would be a correlation between their introduction and counterfit snouts on the increase - thats more to do with price surely ?

Yep, all major supermarkets have them in England now (at least in London and Leeds from what i have seen) but ironically there is a price list which is clear to read on the counter so you might prefer it Butts.
I have no idea either why counterfit ciggs would be on the up just because of this either, it seems unlikley

Butts

Veteran Member
It's a far cry from some of those cigarette vending machines that you still see on the streets in certain countries in Europe (although they are much less common now).

I remember them in the UK alongside the Beechnut and Cadburys Dairy Milk...:p

10p or 2/- for 10 :roll:

HowMuch?

Price tickets in Asda are ridiculous in ALL parts of the shop. I quite literally have to kneel on the floor to read prices of items on the bottom shelf. My eyesight is no worse than most people who wear glasses. Aso, Asda and Tesco are both good at blurring (!) the distinction between price per item and price per kilo by having (on some items) large numbers but small letters.

They would claim that it's not deliberately confusing - but "cui bono" ("who benefits" from a customer, once they are in the store, not being clear about prices) ?

Status
Not open for further replies.