• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Television technical query

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
I wonder if anyone on here has knowledge of the technicalities of modern TVs?

We have a Sony Bravia and the TV guide menu on it is one where you can select an upcoming program and press a button to select it, and when it starts the TV automatically turns over to it.

Or it did.

That worked very well, up until January 1st from when it has simply said "this data event is invalid" and it just won't set a turnover; we now have to manually change channels every time we want a different one.

Any ideas why?

Is it possible that my wife - an inverterate random button pusher when she has a remote in her hand - could have somehow disabled the function?

Or, given that it was January 1st when it stopped working... please don't tell me that some of these TVs were only programmed to work that function up until the end of 2020...?!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Have experienced the same issue on an otherwise perfectly serviceable Sony TV.

General consensus is that it's a Sony software issue (built in obsolescence?)

Trackman

Established Member
Is there a software update available (I assume it has internet connectivity), or even a reset to defaults option?

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Apparently not yet. Plenty of folk moaning about this on the Sony Community forums. Might have to collectively mither Sony's Customer Support and shame them into action.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Is there a software update available (I assume it has internet connectivity), or even a reset to defaults option?

It's not a smart TV... this one is a few years old.

Well, at least I now know it's not just ours, then...

Bevan Price

Established Member
Not had a similar problem with my Sony Bravia.
Possibly silly questions, but have you tried a channel retune? Freeview keeps "fiddling" with channel settings, and may have done something that upset your TV. Alternatively, could the batteries in the remote be getting a bit "flat". In the past, I have noticed that my remote does not work some of the functions when one or more of the batteries are low on charge.

A0wen

On Moderation
Not had a similar problem with my Sony Bravia.
Possibly silly questions, but have you tried a channel retune? Freeview keeps "fiddling" with channel settings, and may have done something that upset your TV. Alternatively, could the batteries in the remote be getting a bit "flat". In the past, I have noticed that my remote does not work some of the functions when one or more of the batteries are low on charge.

Won't be batteries - because that's merely sending the command to the TV, which is clearly happening.

Might be worth retuning the set (do a factory reset) as it may be the EPG (Electronic programme guide) has been changed as part of a retune.

Also in the settings there is usually one about choosing which EPG to use, check to see if it's on the standard Freeview one - a while back some sets (not Sony) used the Guideplus EPG which was discontinued and the sets stopped displaying anything until it was switched to the Freeview EPG.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
As mentioned upthread, this is almost certainly a firmware issue affecting certain older (10 years +) Sony TVs.

Status
Not open for further replies.