• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Temporary Railcard?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pjthefarmer

I'm travelling to London on Wednesday morning and have just noticed that my railcard is expired. I've already ordered my train tickets based on me having a railcard so I'm going to need to have one for this journey.

I'm about to renew my railcard on Railcard.co.uk but I doubt I'll receive it by Wednesday morning. So....

Is there anyway I can get some sort of temporary card (maybe at the station or somewhere else) to cover me for this return journey. Or is there any alternative to get me a railcard for Wednesday morning.

Any help would be HUGELY appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

theblackwatch

Established Member
Sensible option would be just to renew your railcard at the station rather than doing it online.

djw1981

Established Member
If you have a valid photocard, just complete the form.

If you have a bank issued all in one card you will need a new photo and completed form.

pjthefarmer

Be on the safe side if you're in a rush.

Take £26, proof of age and a passport photo

Would I not be issued with a fine if I didn't have an actual card on me?

Ideally I'd rather wait on the Railcard.co.uk version as they stand up to the wear and tear better than the station versions.

If you have a valid photocard, just complete the form.

If you have a bank issued all in one card you will need a new photo and completed form.

I've one like this top one:

sample-cards.jpg

So based on that I'm guessing I'll need a new photo. Oh goody, will have to spruce myself up for that one :D

Thanks everyone

Yep, you'd have to pay the full single fare to your destination if you don't produce a valid railcard, this doesn't mean pay the difference between what you have already paid and the full fare.

Hope this helps, and makes sense. :)

djw1981

Established Member
If in doubt about your station one, just stick it thru a laminator.
Are the online ones printed onto a plastic card instead of just pic stuck on? Do you submit pic electronically?

pjthefarmer

If in doubt about your station one, just stick it thru a laminator.
Are the online ones printed onto a plastic card instead of just pic stuck on? Do you submit pic electronically?

Yeah the photographs are submitted electronically and printed on to a plastic card. They're finished in a similar way to bank cards.

First class

Established Member
You COULD be issued a "fine" of £20 or twice the single fare if you fail to carry a valid railcard on railcard discounted tickets.

This is known as a Penalty Fare and would only apply if travelling on an operator that issues Penalty Fares, such as London Midland, Southern, Southeastern, SW Trains, FCC, Merseyrail etc...

Helvellyn

Established Member
If you renew online don't you get some sort of e-mail issuing a temporary railcard? I'm sure in the Manual there is something about temporary issue railcards, including a picture in the ticket stock section. Might be worth checking on the website and say what it says.

tony_mac

Established Member
Yes; I am pretty sure he meant take those things to buy a railcard, not to use instead of a railcard.

You only get the free YHA membership if you buy online.

A60K

If you do get a railcard at the station, don't put it through a laminator! If I were checking tickets and came across a railcard that had been laminated I would be suspicious that it had been tampered with in some way and that the lamination was to prevent close examination of it. You risk the hassle of the railcard being withdrawn for examination by a ticket examiner if it's not in original condition.

If your railcard does deteriorate while valid then it can be replaced free of charge at the station on application.

jon0844

Veteran Member
If you can renew online, submitting your photo electronically, then perhaps you can try this;

1) Apply for the new card.
2) Print out all the supporting information/confirmation to show you've applied.

Then either go to the ticket office and see if they would let you travel with just the confirmation (probably not - and even then, onboard staff might disagree) or pay for a full priced ticket and claim back the difference afterwards.

It's not ideal, I know, especially if the railcard starts from the date it is produced/sent (which means even then, you may not technically have a railcard on the day of travel).

Now, if the railcard IS valid from when you've applied - that conjures up another issue; surely you're unable to benefit from the card while it's being processed/sent?

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
Presumably you elect the start date when you buy or renew online, as with rovers and rangers?

I do a lot online, but I will go to the station if I want a railcard or season ticket to use in the next few days. No delays waiting for it to arrive, and no chance of it getting lost!

djw1981

Established Member
Interesting..... I was advised to laminate my old cardboard one by the staff at Victoria (Southern) due to the flimsyness of the cardboard. In the end I found a bit of an old credit card holder so had ID card visible one side and yearly card visible the other kept together in my wallet - but removabl;e if needs be.

theblackwatch

Established Member
Interesting..... I was advised to laminate my old cardboard one by the staff at Victoria (Southern) due to the flimsyness of the cardboard. In the end I found a bit of an old credit card holder so had ID card visible one side and yearly card visible the other kept together in my wallet - but removabl;e if needs be.

Why not just get a railcard/ticket wallet from the station when you buy the railcard - or won't Southern give these out?

djw1981

Established Member
because thats crazily big to fit into your normal wallet. The online credit card sized all in one is the most useful size - cf Oyster.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I was wondering that too, as I always keep my tickets and my wallet separate!

djw1981

Established Member
If I keep the railcard separate to my wallet I run the risk of not having it. If I keep them together I can get my Subway (Glasgoiw underground) multijourney pass and railcard in behind Tesco card etc - thus less likely to find myself without it at an unplanned trip etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.