• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Terminals you have never exited?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GodAtum

On Moderation
I've occasionally used London Euston and St Pancras but funnily enough have never exited the stations, only changed at them.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Iskra

Established Member
I've never exited London Liverpool Street, London Bridge or Waterloo only changed. I think this is going to be more common than you think. I'm assuming you are counting the Underground as a change rather than an exit?

trainmania100

Established Member
Never exited Paddington, I've gone to spot at the station but not actually left. Same with Marylebone and euston

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
I’ve not exited Waterloo to the street more than a handful of times in over 40 years of passing through, however it could be considered that the original route to Waterloo took you outside, although the street you crossed was not really a public one...

GodAtum

On Moderation
Yeah I'm counting the underground as a change, but not buses. However, for 10 years I changed at Waterloo going back on myself to Vauxhall on Network SouthEast

D841 Roebuck

Established Member
Can think of only four off the top of my head:
Fishguard Harbour (didn't have a ticket to Ireland)
Neilston (was raining cats and dogs, and the nice traincrew let me remain on the unit whilst it visited the headhunters to cross to the other platform)
Bodiam (K&ESR) (Hot day, so rather than visit the castle I had an ice cream on the platform)
Holt (NNR) (Diesel gala, jumped straight on the next train back)

Cletus

Established Member
Blackpool North and Great Yarmouth are the only ones I think.

Edit
And Sheerness-On-Sea

Last edited:

Kite159

Veteran Member
Ones which spring to mind:

Ebbw Vale Town - Next service was showing as cancelled
Fishguard Harbour - Platform was busy and I wanted to get a decent seat for the trip back towards Cardiff
Pwllheli - Train was late so turnaround was less than 5 minutes
Llandudno - Didn't have time to explore the area due to needing to get back
Largs - Weather
Stranraer - I visited before it gained a roughly 2-hourly service so next train was in 4-odd hours
East Kilbride
Paisley Canal
Bishop Auckland
Whitby
Barton on Humber
Matlock
King's Lynn
Braintree
Sheerness-on-Sea
Bognor Regis
Seaford
Lymington Pier
Gunnislake
Looe
St Ives
Falmouth Docks
Penarth
Rhymney
Treherbert
Maesteg
Felixstowe

So quite a lot terminals at the end of lines, mainly due to doing the line for route coverage back in 2014, or due to poor weather (or due to there not being a lot around)

Last edited:

PeterY

Established Member
I'm similar to Kite159 I just go to the end, on route coverage and if there's nothing to do, get the same train back.
Last weeks stations were
Morecambe
Barton on Humber.
Felixstowe
Harwich.

Footnote
I dad have a wander around Lymington because the weather was so nice, so I do occasionally leave the station. :lol::lol::lol:

Kite159

Veteran Member
I'm similar to Kite159 I just go to the end, on route coverage and if there's nothing to do, get the same train back.
Last weeks stations were
Morecambe
Barton on Humber.
Felixstowe
Harwich.

Footnote
I dad have a wander around Lymington because the weather was so nice, so I do occasionally leave the station. :lol::lol::lol:

Forgot about Felixstowe, a line which I had hoped to had revisited back in the summer had I not run into engineering works

Established Member
Shanklin, Lowestoft, Great Yarmouth, Gunnislake, St Ives, Blackpool North, Portsmouth Harbour (Only used it for the Catamaran), Meldon Quarry, Severn Beach

Gathursty

Established Member
Kirkby (Merseyside) - There is no attraction in leaving the station.
Treherbert
Coryton
Hayes (Kent)
Battersby
Larkhall
Maesteg
Fishguard Harbour
Milford Haven
Looe

At many termini, I have at least walked outside, sometimes even to go to the town centres for food.

Last edited:

mrcheek

Established Member
This is gonna be quite a list. I regularly venture to terminals and back again. Often without even leaving the train let alone the station

Aberdare, Merthyr Tydfil, Treherbery, Rhymney, Coryton, Maesteg, Fishguard Harbour, Ebbw Vale Parkway (when that was the terminus. I recently went back to Ebbw Vale Town, but got out to use the stairlift), Lymington Pier, Gunnislake, Severn Beach, Marlow, Greenford, Shepperton, Kings Lynn, Stanstead Airport, Matlock, Barton-on-Humber, Tweedbak, Gourock, and Largs.

I think thats all.

DanNCL

Established Member
Left on the train I arrived on:
Milngavie
Stourbridge Town

Changed from NR to LU:
Paddington
Euston
Liverpool Street
Charing Cross

Changed from NR to tram network:
Manchester Piccadilly

I've got quite a few on light rail networks and LU where I've not left the station too:
Cockfosters (LU)
Woolwich Arsenal (DLR)
Toton Lane (Nottingham)
Clifton South (Nottingham)
Phoenix Park (Nottingham)
Middlewood (Sheffield)
Malin Bridge (Sheffield)
York Place (Edinburgh)

D McCormick

Severn Beach [multiple occasions; only there for the journey],
Paddington, Waterloo [always leave on the Tube],
Chesham,
Stranraer,
Dalegarth for Boot,
St Erth [did St Ives to St Erth and back twice on the same ticket -- along with passing through the latter beforehand and afterwards, on the way to and from Penzance]

Esker-pades

Established Member
Some may not count:
Perth, Dundee, Mallaig, Thurso, Balloch
Chathill (possibly depending on how one counts walking across the level crossing at one end of the station to cross from one platform to the other)
Saltburn, Manchester Piccadilly, Norwich, Lowestoft, Ipswich, Birmingham New Street, Cardiff Central, Barnstaple, Exmouth, Gunnislake, Looe, Newquay, Falmouth Docks, St Ives, Aylesbury, Bedford,
Alton (only used heritage services to/from there)
Heathrow Terminal 4, Cockfosters, Uxbridge, Chesham, Watford, Mill Hill East, High Barnet, Elmers End, Gospel Oak, Richmond.

Established Member
Ones I can think of:
Balloch
Stranraer
Neilston
Larkhall
Lanark
Wemyss Bay
Gourock
Largs
Ardrossan Town
North Berwick
Bishop Auckland
Barton-on-Humber
Corby (if that counts?)
Worksop (if that counts?)
Holyhead
Rhymney
Treherbert
Aberdare
Carmarthen (if that counts?)
Fishguard Harbour
Milford Haven
Stratford-upon-Avon
Redditch
Brighton
Weymouth
Hayes
Caterham
Tattenham Corner

Light Rail wise:
South Hylton
Halfway
Phoenix Park
Mill Hill East
High Barnet
Brixton
Elephant & Castle

Only ones I can think of off the top of my head.

Last edited:

Cambus731

Not that many as when I've gone to a terminal when track bashing, I've generally preferred to venture out and see what is there, and if there are any interesting buses going anywhere interesting. And over the decades I have arrived in every London terminal at some point and proceeded on by foot or by bus.
but there have been a few:
Mill Hill East
Marlow
Greenford
Severn Beach
North Berwick
Tweedbank
Llandudno (I think)
Caterham
Hayes (Kent)

Last edited:

Cambus731

I have thought of a few terminal stations that I've never exited but I have entered and caught a train from, usually when track bashing:
St Ives
St Albans Abbey
Addiscombe
Falmouth Docks
Wick
Henley on Thames
Uckfield

pieguyrob

How about a terminus station you can leave in two different directions, one on a diesel and one on a 3rd rail electric? I never left Ormskirk station. I live in Blackpool so have no choice with that one.

A Challenge

Established Member
I've never left:
  • London St Pancras International - I've always come straight off/gone onto London Underground there! I have sometimes got off LU and not gone on to trains though.
  • London Liverpool Street - similarly
  • Marlow on my Thames Rover (I did at Bourne End though, even if that counts)
  • Windsor and Eton Central on Thames Rover (though I have both arrived and left on the same train and walked through the station, I have never got on a trai)
  • Alton NR (went straight to/from heritage)
  • Alton Watercress Line (returned straight away or come from NR)
  • East Grinstead Bluebell Line (returned straighyt away, never used NR)
  • Epping LU - visited twice but never got further than the car park!
  • Wimbledon (LU)
  • Wimbledon (Tramlink) - though I did go from NR via the shopping centre for the toilets
I think I did this with Uxbridge, Stanmore, Watford, Edgware, Hammersmith (H&C) [across to D&P] as well on LU and possibly London Victoria I can't remember. If you count Waterloo LU as a terminus for the W&C I have never not come from London Waterloo NR onto any line, not just the W&C.

Cambus731

A new one for me today was New Addington. I finally cleared the Croydon Tramlink system today

Status
Not open for further replies.