• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Terror Attack 'Foiled'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guinness

Established Member
Just saw on the News this morning that a big plan to take down several Aircraft in Britain was foiled by MI5 early this morning.

Currently no Hand Baggage may be checked into the hold and only essential items are allow into the Aircraft.

Hopefully nothing serious will develop in the next few days.

Thoughts?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

nutter

IMO it's the BBC making a mountain out of a mole hill. According to intellegence the police stopped them when they got the first equipment to but the plan into action.

If it was foiled at the airport or within 72 hrs of the plan then i'd be concerned, but as from what i can gather it was at least a few weeks away there was plenty of time to stop it.

Yes it is a threat, and a major one at that, to national security, but we have MI6 and as a last resort the SAS to stop these plots. Yes, July 7th did get through, but just think how many plots have been maide and foiled without it coming into the public dormain, there'll be hundreds, so the british security services are doing a bl**dy good job IMO.

These are my opinons will propably end up being contraverial, but they are my opinions

devon_metro

Established Member
Why are people so sick and twisted that they would do such a thing. Complete scum whoever planned to do it.

H

HR2

I have posted this elsewhere on the forum also just make sure that none of you guys fall foul of the authorties while this heightend security level is in place.

As this morning bring news of new security arrangements at airports I would ask other members who are keen photographers to be careful when you do so. If you are seen snapping away somewhere in a corner of a station or other facility you may well arouse suspicions from staff and public alike. "Whats he taking pictures for" will flash though their minds so get permission for ANY activity involving cameras. The boot can be on the other foot too. You snappers are the ideal folk to have around if YOU see someone acting dodgy or furtively. If you do, GET A PICTURE as it could be vital evidence if your suspicions were confirmed and he was indeed 'casing the joint' or even train for that matter.

Tom B

Established Member
Heathrow Airport is reported to be closed - other air travel suffering severe disruption.

If anyone is planning on travelling by plane today or in the next few days, check with your airline as to what's happening / alternative arrangements.

The Snap

Established Member
Tom B said:
Heathrow Airport is reported to be closed - other air travel suffering severe disruption.

If anyone is planning on travelling by plane today or in the next few days, check with your airline as to what's happening / alternative arrangements.

Me, tomorrow, 6:30am! :(

Simming

This Is Arse

friend's meant to be travelling back from italy tonight, looks like shes gona have fun :glasses7:

nutter

Apprantly Gatwick is shut now too. The only reason i can think for the masss delays to stil be occuring (flights grounded) is that they don't think they have all the gang, other wise they could effectivly place say a 20 minute delay on take-offs so they have extra time for the security checks, whilst also allowing planes to land.

What i also find intresting is the ban on liquids on flights, and people just put there water in the corner and leave it, as far as anyone knows there could be a few bottles of explosives lying around, desgised as water. Surley taking out a terminal will have more impact than just an airliner. I know this sounds phsycotic, but if you want to beat the 'enemy', then you have to think like them

All i can say is i'm glad hat a) i don't fly and b) i ain't in the ATC this afternoon

Lesjordans

Is there a possibility this could be cleared for Monday, im supposed to be flying from Prestwick and would sooner have my camera in Hand Luggage than leave it to the hands of Baggage men!

Coxster

Established Member
Heathrow Express
Advising passengers not to travel to the airport unless absolutely necessary.

Gatwick Express
Advising passengers not to travel to the airport unless absolutely necessary.

Stanstead Express
A normal service is currently in operation.

Ben

Metroland said:
With the delays, it's like the railways I guess..a lot of delay gets caused because trains are occupying platforms that should be vacant. I guess it's the same with aircraft occupying stands. Perhaps the plane enthusiats on here can enlighten us?

According to The BBC thats the exact reason. :)

A bloke on the BBC said with a exlosion to the fuselage of a plane it would easily implode, it's been proved even a bullet sized hole in the fuselage the plane wouldn't implode. In the worst scenario it would explode.

H

HR2

Lesjordans said:
Is there a possibility this could be cleared for Monday, im supposed to be flying from Prestwick and would sooner have my camera in Hand Luggage than leave it to the hands of Baggage men!

I can tell you now from a good source I have that this heightened level of security will not be relaxed anytime soon. Airlines are looking to introducing check-in time 3 HOURS before flight departure and also you will have to wait for your kit to be re-checked and cleared before repossesion at the end of the flight. What is now a 2 hour flight will quite possibly take 5 or even 6 hours with all the check-in and outs for security. Be careful with items like toothpaste also they have a particular worry about toothpaste in squeezy tubes and mouthwashes as well. Ideal containers for some explosives.

So if you're camera is not insured then leave it at home.

Lesjordans

Oh bloody hell!! It'll have to be wrapped, bagged, the bag wrapped then a suitcase, well its insured at least, but i hope those baggage folk dont go tossing it about! maybe i should label it ;)

H

HR2

Lesjordans said:
Oh bloody hell!! It'll have to be wrapped, bagged, the bag wrapped then a suitcase, well its insured at least, but i hope those baggage folk dont go tossing it about! maybe i should label it ;)

I hope it is not an old film type camera as the airport X-Ray machine will wipe the film clean! It may be a good idea to put it in one of those plastic sandwich type boxes for luggage purposes. Well cocooned in bubble wrap

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
HR2 said:
.... Airlines are looking to introducing check-in time 3 HOURS before flight departure ...
For the railways this would be excellent news, and could lead to a massive increase in passengers on all "InterCity" TOCs, and it would also be great news for the environment. Hopefully the government would invest further in increasing the capacity of the ECML as well as the WCML to take the increase in Anglo-Scottish passengers.

H

HR2

Just to confirm gents that if you are travelling by air for the next few days take as little as possible and no non essentials like CD players and cameras etc. My brother is off to Spain tomorrow with his family and that is the advice given to him by his airline yesterday evening.

If possible leave tan lotions face creams and sun block at home and buy those at your destination. In essence what BA said was to take less clothes to wear and towels and medicines. If you come with too much gear there is a chance it will not be loaded on the plane owing to limited hold space.

THE AIRLINES ALSO SAY THAT YOU MUST, REPEAT MUST, TELEPHONE BEFORE LEAVING HOME AND MAKE SURE YOUR FLIGHT IS ACTUALLY GOING AND HAS NOT BEEN CANCELLED. IF IT HAS BEEN CANCELLED YOU WILL BE SENT HOME AS THERE IS NO SPARE CAPACITY ON OTHER FLIGHTS. YOU WILL HAVE TO CLAIM A REFUND FROM YOUR TRAVEL AGENT IN THAT CASE. BE THERE AT LEAST FOUR HOURS BEFORE THE FLIGHT TAKES OFF AND EVEN THEN IT MAY BE LATE GOING.

YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!

devon_metro

Established Member
Well, there is one simple solution. Deport all trouble making muslims (quite a few of them then :roll:) and don't let any more in. Our country can't cope anyway. We need to rehouse our English homeless people first before we worry about the muslims.

And don't you just hate it on the news when they announce.

"The terrorists were british muslims." It just gives Britain a bad name.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Liam said:
Well, there is one simple solution. Deport all trouble making muslims (quite a few of them then :roll:) and don't let any more in.
No, there isn't a simple solution, and that's not it. I don't recall anyone saying "Deport all trouble making Catholics" when the IRA was bombing us.
Liam said:
Our country can't cope anyway. We need to rehouse our English homeless people first before we worry about the muslims.
Huh? I am quite concerned at this statement - what exactly are you saying?
Liam said:

Yes, I hate it, it doesn't give anyone a good name, but then neither does intolerance and prejudice.

H

HR2

Liam said:
Well, there is one simple solution. Deport all trouble making muslims (quite a few of them then :roll:) and don't let any more in. Our country can't cope anyway. We need to rehouse our English homeless people first before we worry about the muslims.

Careful Liam what you say lad. I voiced similar comments out loud a little while back and got 'spoken to' by people in authority after complaints from the PC brigade s*itheads..
[EDIT]
yorkie said:
Yes, I hate it, it doesn't give anyone a good name, but then neither does intolerance and prejudice.

Where's the intolerance and predjudice Yorkie?
Thats just PC claptrap. What the lad is saying is just common sense. Close the damn door and don't let any more in. Those that are here will be tolerated but if they cause trouble then send 'em back. Israel knows how to deal with these bomb making muslim fools and much as I hate Blair and Bush the only way to deal with them is to HIT THEM REALLY HARD.

devon_metro

Established Member
Metroland said:
Well one of my mates (hint he's on this forum) was nearly sacked for a joke about such things.

For the record I don't have a problem with *anyone* who is a decent human being, I do have a problem with scumbags though.

Precisely, i was referring to Radicalist muslims, i don't have a problem with them although i do feel that there are too many baing allowed in to our country and it needs to be controlled.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
*sigh*
HR2 said:
Where's the intolerance and predjudice Yorkie?
here:
Liam said:
We need to rehouse our English homeless people first before we worry about the muslims.

Liam said:
*sigh* no longer allowed an opinion. And i agree with you HR2.
Yes, you are allowed an opinion, I asked you to clarify it.

HR2 said:
Israel knows how to deal with these bomb making muslim fools and much as I hate Blair and Bush the only way to deal with them is to HIT THEM REALLY HARD.
"Hitting them really hard" will breed more terrorism.

As for Israel, they treat Palestinians as 3rd class citizens, and refuse to recognise their right to self-determination. If a country treated us like that, we'd fight back.

H

HR2

yorkie said:
*sigh*

here:

Yes, you are allowed an opinion, I asked you to clarify it.

"Hitting them really hard" will breed more terrorism.

As for Israel, they treat Palestinians as 3rd class citizens, and refuse to recognise their right to self-determination. If a country treated us like that, we'd fight back.

No you are wrong Yorkie. That is how you percieve things. There is no predjudice on this forum only people stating an opinion. There's too much of this poor Lebanon and wicked Israel piffle going on. If the Arabs would just accept that Israel exists and let them live in peace there would be no trouble. I am afraid you have been taken for a sucker and fallen victim to Muslim propaganda. THAT is where the predjudice is.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
HR2 said:
No you are wrong Yorkie. That is how you percieve things. There is no predjudice on this forum only people stating an opinion. There's too much of this poor Lebanon and wicked Israel piffle going on. If the Arabs would just accept that Israel exists and let them live in peace there would be no trouble. I am afraid you have been taken for a sucker and fallen victim to Muslim propaganda. THAT is where the predjudice is.
No, you are wrong, it's just how you percieve things. ;) (In my opinion)

Now, Isreal is recognising as existing, but Palestine is not. How is that fair?

Imagine if someone carved up England and said that we don't have the right to exist as a country (as England, or the UK, or whatever) and created a new state and then when we fought back, they said "you need to recognise our right to exist"!

H

HR2

yorkie said:
No, you are wrong, it's just how you percieve things. ;) (In my opinion)

Now, Isreal is recognising as existing, but Palestine is not. How is that fair?

Imagine if someone carved up England and said that we don't have the right to exist as a country (as England, or the UK, or whatever) and created a new state and then when we fought back, they said "you need to recognise our right to exist"!

I feel sorry for you with your rose tinted spectacles Yorkie. PALESTINE does not exist anymore and has not done so since 1948! The folk that live there like to pretend that it is still a country though. One day they'll have to give up the land to it's rightful owner as defined by history ISRAEL. They wiil have to move to Lebanon or Jordan or elsewhere as they are of no consequence. I am not going to get involved in long winded arguments with you over your prejudiced view of things. I prefer to see the world as it is.

I must explain the line 'they are of no consequence'. I do not mean to imply that these people are of no consequence as human beings, of course they are, but for the two protagonists in the conflict they count for nothing in the desire for victory. Hezbollah deliberately place rocket launchers in residential areas and housing knowing full well that Israel will retaliate and bomb them. Hezbollah can then scream to the world about 'Israeli atrocities' This is as much a war of minds as it is weapons. The only solution is to return the entire west bank and Gaza to Israel as defined by historical precendent. The land was theirs from after Exodus and it is also theirs by right of religion too. Judaism being the oldest surviving religion in the world

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Liam said:
Precisely, i was referring to Radicalist muslims, i don't have a problem with them although i do feel that there are too many baing allowed in to our country and it needs to be controlled.
ok, thanks for correcting that, I have no time for any radicals of any religion who want to harm others or spread prejudice and hate. I wouldn't want any radical entering this country, but I don't think that's an easy thing to control - after all, how can you measure what people are thinking?

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Virgin Trains are accepting air tickets for travelling today (as well as yesterday) that have been endorsed by airlines for CrossCountry and between London & Manchester on WestCoast for domestic flights (why on earth anyone would fly London - Manchester anyway is beyond me).

Status
Not open for further replies.