• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Terror Attack 'Foiled'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave A

Mojo said:
(why on earth anyone would fly London - Manchester anyway is beyond me).

BECAUSE ITS CHEAPER!! :angry1:

I remember reading that it was cheaper to go Manchester via Brussels, Amsterdam (or somewhere close to us in Europe), from London, by flying, compared to London to Manchester by train! :mumum:

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Guinness

Established Member
David V2 said:
BECAUSE ITS CHEAPER!! :angry1:

I remember reading that it was cheaper to go Manchester via Brussels, Amsterdam (or somewhere close to us in Europe), from London, by flying, compared to London to Manchester by train! :mumum:

No doubt you read something about the £188 Standard Open Single Return somewhere.

It's cheaper by Train if you book way in advance. Besides the Train is quite flexable rather than travelling by Plane. Every 30 minutes by Train compared to 2 Hourly by Plane.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
That's probably comparing an Open Return, valid on any train, buyable up to departure, versus a ticket limiting you to one plane, booked in advance - neglecting to mention the cost of City Centre - Airport travel by taxi, train or bus.

To do a fair test, I'll choose the same dates, and roughly the same departure times from City Centre stations and airports. [Outward date: 25 Aug - return: 01 Sep]

I just looked up on TravelSupermarket.com for the cheapest way of doing London [Any Airport] to Manchester. It said BMIBaby was the cheapest. Their 'Tiny Fare' was £10 each way, plus taxes at 48.10 return make a return fare cost £68.10. The flight leaves at 2050 and arrives 2150 on the outward, and 2100-2205 on the return.

For Virgin Trains, London [Euston] to Manchester [Piccadilly] on the 2105 the cheapest ticket avaliable is £37.00, and that's first class. On the return, the 2045 has the cheapest ticket of £12.50, totalling £49.50, including one half first class.

Even a Saver Return, valid evenings on both dates is cheaper, and weighs in at £57.10 - let's not forget this is even better vs. Air as it can be used on most trains that evening, with certain changes free, and other changes or refunds avaliable for an admin fee - it doesn't have to be booked in advance and further discounts are avaliable for Railcard holders.

Also, both offer a better choice of a refund should there be delays.

Oh, and BMIBaby charge a £4.75 credit card fee.

Julian G

Established Member
Mojo said:
Virgin Trains are accepting air tickets for travelling today (as well as yesterday) that have been endorsed by airlines for CrossCountry and between London & Manchester on WestCoast for domestic flights (why on earth anyone would fly London - Manchester anyway is beyond me).
Why would anyone use Paris to Brussels?, because you have Thalys to take
With the Plane, you have to go through Security, wait for other air traffic to pass you, etc

Guinness

Established Member
Julian G said:
Why would anyone use Paris to Brussels?

Good with Airline connecting traffic.

For example,

New York JFK - Paris Charles de Gaulle - Brussels
Change Planes in Paris is easier than getting Thalys and is also quicker than going to Train Station for the Thalys where you could be on your way to Brussels on a Plane.

ikar

HR2 said:
I feel sorry for you with your rose tinted spectacles Yorkie. PALESTINE does not exist anymore and has not done so since 1948!

HR2 said:
Such a long time... 58 years...

The folk that live there like to pretend that it is still a country though. One day they'll have to give up the land to it's rightful owner as defined by history ISRAEL.

What rightfull owner, "that's our old land that we had 1000 years ago, let's go there", we had Bosnia less than 200 years ago bu that doesn't allow us to go there and terrorise other people there.

HR2 said:
They wiil have to move to Lebanon or Jordan or elsewhere as they are of no consequence. I am not going to get involved in long winded arguments with you over your prejudiced view of things. I prefer to see the world as it is.

So the Palestinian people will have to GO... Why Serbs didn't had to go after their made up country failed.

HR2 said:
I must explain the line 'they are of no consequence'. I do not mean to imply that these people are of no consequence as human beings, of course they are, but for the two protagonists in the conflict they count for nothing in the desire for victory. Hezbollah deliberately place rocket launchers in residential areas and housing knowing full well that Israel will retaliate and bomb them. Hezbollah can then scream to the world about 'Israeli atrocities' This is as much a war of minds as it is weapons. The only solution is to return the entire west bank and Gaza to Israel as defined by historical precendent. The land was theirs from after Exodus and it is also theirs by right of religion too. Judaism being the oldest surviving religion in the world

The claim that they place Rocket launchers in housing areas isn't true, the Israeli embassy showed us a movie that didn't claim nothing (rockets from hills); what about bombing the ambulances, what about bombing the houses with children etc. In 1948 when they wanted a country, the UK didn't want to gave them, so
you know what they did they blew up the British embassy killing civilians (David Ben Gurion was at the head of the organisation that did that), so see who is a terrorist. That what they do to the Arabs is greater the German treatment in WWII.

BTW Israelis use napalm and the same bomb for which a Serb is now in Hague...

I hope that Hezbollah gives them a nice beating...

Tom B

Established Member
Chaps...

I've heard concerns about this topic. So far it's just a healthy debate, but please keep it that way.

flamewar.gif

eezypeazy

Good day from the eezypeazy's holiday in Canada.

Well, the heightened security added about 30mins to our delay at NCL on the way out. EVERYTHING except our wallets, purses, travel documents and medications went in the hold - don't even try to take a magazine to read until you're through security, then buy it airside.

Must get back to the barbie....

eezypeazy

Tom B

Established Member
I'm sure the airlines are laughing all the way to the bank... must buy food / drink / books from *US*.

compsci

I've checked with AA and it seems that only the no liquids rule applies on their flights from the US to the UK. Of course all of this could change in seven weeks (hopefully for the better).

I went to the American Museum of Natural History today and got asked if I was carrying any liquids. I just said no, they took one look at my camera (never mind the pockets) and let me through. I'm starting to get the impression that security staff are instructed not to touch anything in a camera bag for fear of breaking it and being sued.

Tom B

Established Member
compsci said:
I've checked with AA and it seems that only the no liquids rule applies on their flights from the US to the UK.

That's what I've heard on the matter as well from a friend in the US.

Lesjordans

Thats some hand luggage being allowed on now, Laptops and Cameras will be X-rayed. Just in time for Dublin today then :)

Jordan

Status
Not open for further replies.