• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Tesco Clubcard Redspottedhanky offer going down from 3x to 2x on 01/12/11

Status
Not open for further replies.

SS4

Established Member
I'm not "demanding" anything, but as someone has likes train travel (obviously ;)) I am rather annoyed that I will have to return to spending my points on Restaurants and Avios (formerly know as Airmiles - the scheme is good for Eurostar) instead of spending them on UK train tickets. :(

I'm confused, why can't you continue to spend your points at RSH? I understand perfectly why you won't but it seems a case of cutting off your nose to spite your face.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Who cares whether or not ALR deals with his family's finances?

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

All Line Rover

Established Member
I think it is quite obvious that allowing one's child (how old are you?) to manage their financial status is actually very risky. Why do you think that banks have accounts specifically for children? It's so that they have the least amount of risk and complication.

Why do you need to know?

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
I'm confused, why can't you continue to spend your points at RSH? I understand perfectly why you won't but it seems a case of cutting off your nose to spite your face.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Who cares whether or not ALR deals with his family's finances?

Quite.

ralphchadkirk

Established Member
Why do you need to know?

Because I'm amazed that someone would entrust their children with their banking. And because you made the claim first - if you don't want people to question it: don't mention it!

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk

Tomonthetrain

Established Member
What kind of tesco vouchers is it that can be used? Is it the "£x off when you spend £x in store?"

All Line Rover

Established Member
Because I'm amazed that someone would entrust their children with their banking. And because you made the claim first - if you don't want people to question it: don't mention it!

This thread is about Tesco and Redspottedhanky only. My age and private life are irrelevant.

Last edited:

DavidBrown

My point of view as a Tesco employee,

It amazes me, as pointed out before, just how many people think that these deals are part of their human rights rather than the companies goodwill and marketing. The same thing happened when the double Clubcard points offer on normal shopping ended last month. Because the offer was a longer term one (it was around for about 6 months, IIRC?), people thought that it was their right to always get double points, and so they got angry when the offer ended, completely forgetting that "double" means twice the normal amount, and that all special offers end at some point.

You also have to compare it to what else is out there. The only comparable loyalty scheme is the Nectar card which, whilst you can collect more points in more shops, but having a look on their website, there seems to only be two 'double points' offers - one for theme parks, and one for the Orient Express. Hardly useful everyday purchases where you can save. Morrisons and Asda don't have any loyalty schemes whatsoever, so you're not going to save on train travel there.

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
This thread is about Tesco and Redspottedhanky only. My age and private life are irrelevant.

Then may I suggest that you refrain from bringing your private life on to the forum? No offence, but a thread about the change ot the terms is useful without attaching a rant about how outraged you are, which is then expanded to include how much money you spend on petrol, 4 star hotels and restaurants that can only make people who are less well off rather envious.

Also, as has been mentioned, if you introduce these things then you will undoubtedly be questioned about them. Probably best to leave them out altogether.

Hydro

Established Member
If you knew what I do behind closed doors, you would understand my actions and those of my parents - it is fair to say that I take more than the "normal" level of interest in our finances. However, there is no reason for me to tell you anything specific, and especially on a public forum such as this!

You're that drug dealing kid from RoboCop 2!

All Line Rover

Established Member
My point of view as a Tesco employee,

It amazes me, as pointed out before, just how many people think that these deals are part of their human rights rather than the companies goodwill and marketing. The same thing happened when the double Clubcard points offer on normal shopping ended last month. Because the offer was a longer term one (it was around for about 6 months, IIRC?), people thought that it was their right to always get double points, and so they got angry when the offer ended, completely forgetting that "double" means twice the normal amount, and that all special offers end at some point.

You also have to compare it to what else is out there. The only comparable loyalty scheme is the Nectar card which, whilst you can collect more points in more shops, but having a look on their website, there seems to only be two 'double points' offers - one for theme parks, and one for the Orient Express. Hardly useful everyday purchases where you can save. Morrisons and Asda don't have any loyalty schemes whatsoever, so you're not going to save on train travel there.

You have to realise that Tesco's Clubcard scheme is critical to their success and retention of customers. It is their only USP, and they are still struggling to retain over 30% market share!

For Ralph to suggest that Tesco offer 1:1 shows that he knows completely nothing about the Tesco Clubcard scheme, and I do not understand why he feels obliged to comment. For Tesco to offer 1:1 would completely negate the "rewards" scheme. Vouchers can be redemed at thier face value towards in-store purchases, Tesco Direct or petrol, but can be increased by up to 4x against rewards.

This is definitely not the end of the world for Tesco - plenty of excellent offers remain and I will continue to shop there in future.

Last edited:

ralphchadkirk

Established Member
ALR: 1:1 is quite obvious really. They could offer £10 on RSH for each £10 voucher. In fact, they double it which I think is pretty good - yet evidently not good enough for you.

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk

All Line Rover

Established Member
Then may I suggest that you refrain from bringing your private life on to the forum? No offence, but a thread about the change ot the terms is useful without attaching a rant about how outraged you are, which is then expanded to include how much money you spend on petrol, 4 star hotels and restaurants that can only make people who are less well off rather envious.

Also, as has been mentioned, if you introduce these things then you will undoubtedly be questioned about them. Probably best to leave them out altogether.

Just replace "4-star hotels" with Travelodge, and remember that the restaurants bit involves paying with paper money. ;)

That list was simply to show what other offers are available with Tesco, and why rsh is now comparatively poor value.

Yew

Established Member
Personally I think its disspaointing, as I was expecting it to go Up £10 quid instead of down

and david brown, keep an eye on the staff websites to see if we have any staff only offers on it (im at 5437)

All Line Rover

Established Member
ALR: 1:1 is quite obvious really. They could offer £10 on RSH for each £10 voucher. In fact, they double it which I think is pretty good - yet evidently not good enough for you.

You still do not understand, do you? Excluding bonus points offers, you have to spend £1000 in Tesco to get a £10 voucher. When this arrives in the post, it can be immediately redemed against, for example, groceries or petrol. If Tesco offered 1:1, why would someone then go to the hassle of converting the £10 Tesco voucher to a £10 rsh e-voucher, which can take up to 5 days to process and then ties you to making a purchase though rsh? If it cost you £1000 to get that voucher, surely you would use it against your next grocery or petrol shop? It is quite obvious why Tesco do not offer 1:1 rewards!

Last edited:

bnm

Established Member
That list was simply to show what other offers are available with Tesco, and why rsh is now comparatively poor value.

Its not a comparison though is it? None of those other places sell train tickets.

Twice the value of Clubcard vouchers is still an extremely good offer. It's a shame that it's no longer to be 3x, but c'est la vie. No need to pop a vein in anger.

If you feel that strongly about it then complain to Tesco and ATOS Origin. Let's see how they respond to your misplaced sense of entitlement.

All Line Rover

Established Member
Personally I think its disspaointing, as I was expecting it to go Up £10 quid instead of down

and david brown, keep an eye on the staff websites to see if we have any staff only offers on it (im at 5437)

Same. redspottedhanky never promoted this is as an introductory offer, and when Tesco said that they were going to put some "rewards" up to 4x, I was hoping that rsh might go up too! Tesco never said that any rewards would go down, which is why I feel somewhat misled by both companies. It is not the end of the world, by any means, but it is a disappointment.

Last edited:

Yew

Established Member
You still do not understand, do you? Excluding bonus points offers, you have top spend £1000 in Tesco to get a £10 voucher. When this arrives in the post, it can be immediately redemed against, for example, groceries or petrol. If Tesco offered 1:1, why would someone then go to the hassle of converting the £10 Tesco voucher to a £10 rsh e-voucher, which can take up to 5 days to process and then ties you to making a purchase though rsh? If it cost you £1000 to get that voucher, surely you would use it against your next grocery or petrol shop? It is quite obvious why Tesco do not offer 1:1 rewards!

I believe its £100 for a 10 quid voucher. I have to say I miss double points, especially when our store had been remerchandised, and somehow counted as a new store, double points + new store double points = lots of vouchers

Pumbaa

Established Member
It is not the end of the world, by any means, but it is a disappointment.

Then kindly stop acting like it is. And to be honest, when you start behaving like one of the Made in Chelsea cast, expect to get ridiculed. And besides it was you who brought your family's expenses into it.

I now extend my extend my list of polite requests that I have made to you to three. For the benefit of others who may have not seen the first two, I shall recap them.

1) stop presenting your opinion as fact.
2) have the balls to say so when challenged.
3) stop being livid at withdrawal of any deal that is not a basic human necessity. I would like to remind you that having a table of 4 to yourself in first class is not a basic human necessity.

WillPS

Established Member
I think you're making the fundamental mistake of thinking every penny of your tripled RSH voucher goes to RSH... it wont.

I know for a fact that Lightwater Valley (who are one of the 'Days Out' rewards) only get 50% of the face value of the Clubcard vouchers they accept.

RSH are on a smash and grab marketing strategy at the moment, and the 3x reward will have almost certainly resulted in a loss for them - this is okay as it draws attention to them (it's a Loss Leader). I don't know the specifics, but as booking agent (who charge zero fees of any kind), their margins must be absolutely minimal.

RSH will have renegotiated the deal, hopefully to a level which is sustainable as it's still a really good offer.

snail

Established Member
I believe its £100 for a 10 quid voucher.
No, it's £1 a point (worth 1p in basic rewards) though they doubled it through their offer. Compares favourably with Nectar which is 0.5p per point - spending £500 at Sainsbury's gets you £2.50 discount. I've just got £7 in Tesco vouchers, mainly from my E.On account. Clearly I shop differently to ALR! Probably because (shock, horror) there isn't a Tesco close to where I live.

This debate comes down to scale. If you're getting £100s in vouchers then the difference between 2x, 3x and 4x is significant. For me it would pay for a trip to Manchester. Wow. Either way, it's not something to get too wound up over. Even the big retailers are suffering these days yet people still think they are entitled to something for nothing.

Last edited:

Paul Kelly

Verified Rep - BR Fares
I think you're making the fundamental mistake of thinking every penny of your tripled RSH voucher goes to RSH... it wont.

I think that explains a lot of the anger!

Tesco specifically reduced the rate from 4x to 3x last year "to encourage other companies to join" (such as redspottedhanky) and all new companies have happily stayed at the 3x rate, which indicates that Tesco must fully subsidize (or almost fully subsidize) these "rewards."

I don't understand this point. If they were fully subsidising it, why would it make any difference to the companies whether it was 4x or 3x? Seems more likely that for 3x they receive a greater proportion of the face value of the vouchers from Tesco than for 4x. The rest of the value is probably written off as the advertising/marketing benefit RSH gets by being associated with Tesco (which is probably quite huge).

For companies with a large profit margin and perhaps selling leisure-based or "occasional treat" goods and services, or simply things that people don't buy every day, only getting 50% of the tripled vouchers may be sustainable, especially if they factor in the advertising benefit.

For a company like RSH that presumably has a very small profit margin and sells something that people can and do use every day, it was probably unsustainable. In fact double points is probably unsustainable too IMHO.

At least I have converted all my vouchers already - I have over £600 of Redspottedhanky e-vouchers.

Presumably this has already caused RSH a loss of several hundred pounds! Doesn't surprise me that they're pulling the offer if they have many other customers enthusiastically converting vouchers at this sort of rate - they might be glad to see the back of you ;)

Daz28

Same. redspottedhanky never promoted this is as an introductory offer, and when Tesco said that they were going to put some "rewards" up to 4x, I was hoping that rsh might go up too! Tesco never said that any rewards would go down, which is why I feel somewhat mislead by both companies. It is not the end of the world, by any means, but it is a disappointment.

Tesco deals go up and down all the time. Some deals get withdrawn, new ones get added.

Most of the 4x deals have restrictions such as only being against full-price and not against any other offer. When you compare against the lowest cost you can achieve without Tesco vouchers, you will often find it is really a 3x or even 2x deal.

At least with RSH you are getting a genuine 2x cash equivalent.

IanD

Established Member
It's actually a bigger drop than the OP thinks.

Until last month, every £1 spent in Tesco got you 2 clubcard points which would get you 6p worth of RSH evouchers.

Now £1 spent in Tesco generally gets you 1 clubcard point which can be converted in to 2p worth of RSH evouchers so their value has been reduced by 66% compared to last month rather than 33%.

Still money for nothing though.

HORNIMANS

TBH I was over the moon when Ifound out that I could use Tesco vouchers to buy train tickets, where else can you get tickets at a big discount?

All Line Rover

Established Member
3) stop being livid at withdrawal of any deal that is not a basic human necessity. I would like to remind you that having a table of 4 to yourself in first class is not a basic human necessity.

Oh yes - this again! :roll:

island

Veteran Member
The e-vouchers are valid until 2020! I would have liked to stock up on e-vouchers for a bit longer!!

My ones expire on 31/12/11.

What bothers me more is that they reduced the ClubCard accumulation rate last month. So we've suddenly gone from £1 spend = 6p of RSH vouchers to £1 spend = 2p.

I understand Tesco does not pay the ClubCard Deal suppliers the full face value of the vouchers (Pizza Express and several other retailers will not accept Deal vouchers to pay for any of their own special offers, only for full-price menu items) so what's probably happened here is that Tesco offered ATOS the choice of a worse conversion rate or paying ATOS a lower percentage of the face value of the vouchers while maintaining the ×3.

The best conversion for Tesco vouchers is probably now Avios, if you've got a lot of them. 20,000 Avios can have value of £1,627 in the right circumstances (by upgrading a British Airways World Traveller Plus ticket from London to Chicago to Club World). That's £85 in ClubCard vouchers.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.