• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Test run for LU 150th Anniversay, next year

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

anthony263

Established Member
I did hear about this it does sound very interesting and I am sure the Steam on the Met will be very popular.

You can just imagine peoples faces when they see a steam engine traveling around the circle line

trentside

Established Member
Fares Advisor
I can imagine that any event which does go ahead will be very popular.

The video is fantastic. Although I've always tried to imagine what the Underground was like in steam days, to actually see a steam train on the Circle is fantastic - I hope the trial proves a success :)

Nym

Established Member
Overheard something about this at TfL on Thursday, will be very nice to see, any ideas when it's actually going to run in service for the 150th?

Aictos

Established Member
Steam on the LUL would be impressive, if only to get some vibes of what it used to be like, :)

Chris125

Established Member
Overheard something about this at TfL on Thursday, will be very nice to see, any ideas when it's actually going to run in service for the 150th?

Page three of this document floated at a TfL board meeting last year should give you an idea of what they were considering for next year.

Chris

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Where would the steam go? The line is a sub-surface but still...

Emoticon-Facepalm.gif

Really? It would go where all steam goes! It would evaporate as it cooled and turn back into water!!!

trentside

Established Member
Fares Advisor
There are also various open sections along the north side of the Circle. Not as many as there used to be, thanks to developments above but there are still some.

Chris125

Established Member
I only asked because back in the day, people complained of getting smogged.

...by a service run entirely by steam loco's working an intensive passenger service stopping needing rapid acceleration from every station stop.

One engine working special services through a section of line that retains a large number of its vents and whose stations are almost all open-air is not going to cause great difficulties, as it appears the trial showed.

Chris

Tiny Tim

In the days when all Underground services were steam hauled the atmosphere was pretty awful. The companies placed newspaper stories by 'doctors' claiming that the smoky fug was beneficial to the respiratory system in an attempt to counter regular complaints. Passengers didn't really have much to compare it with until electric traction was introduced, and even then it took the Met and District until the early 20th century before their passenger trains were electrified. Steam locos still used parts of the Underground until the early 1970s, but not frequently enough to create the horrible smog of the pre-electric days. A steam excursion will be a great sight, but it won't be enough to return the Underground to it's former smoggy state.

NY Yankee

I don't think this is a good idea. Suppose someone has asthma. Can't they just display a steam engine at the London Transport museum?

Clip

Established Member
I don't think this is a good idea. Suppose someone has asthma. Can't they just display a steam engine at the London Transport museum?

They do but this is history and we like running historical tours round these parts :lol:

I believe there are enough places where the steam will be able to escape and i doubt it will be that much worse for persons with Asthma then it is already with all the brake dust that can fly about - hence why after 10 mins on the tube you have black snot

Metrailway

If anyone doesn't know, London Transport Museum are restoring Metropolitan Railway Jubilee carriage 353 built in 1892 to full working order for the anniversary. It's on schedule and should be done by October. Hopefully we will see it hauled by steam with the Ashbury and Dreadnought carriages.

Status
Not open for further replies.