• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Testing Signals And Points

Status
Not open for further replies.

RichmondCommu

Established Member
G'day,

I've often observed that seemingly seldom used cross over’s between the up and down lines and refuge sidings have survived where mechanical signal boxes are located. Just out of curiosity are NR staff encouraged to pull levers during quiet periods to ensure that everything is in working order in case they need to be used in an emergency?

Any replies would be most welcome!

Thanks in advance,

Richmond Commuter!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Daniel

Established Member
Not sure about NR, but on LU every route is pulled/thrown/cleared during the frame test, (usually around 5am), in areas controlled by a signal box :)

Johnuk123

Established Member
Not sure about NR, but on LU every route is pulled/thrown/cleared during the frame test, (usually around 5am), in areas controlled by a signal box :)

I never knew that was done,never thought about it really.Gives you some excitement at 5 am.

Established Member
Remember when I was learning a box with a small panel back in the mid 1980s; we were sitting having a chat between trains and the signalman was idly switching the points one by one until he got to the ones for the infrequently used siding and they failed to get detection when set back for the main line :oops:
Luckily the points were near the box and, as it was BR, signalmen were expected to be able to operate power worked points so I had an impromptu lesson in hand working clamp locks.

DXMachina

Would the frame have locked to prevent the change if a train had been near to or past the last protecting signal?

I assume it would - certainly now - but as 33056 said, the incident with a failing point during testing happened 30 years ago

Daniel

Established Member
Would the frame have locked to prevent the change if a train had been near to or past the last protecting signal?

I assume it would - certainly now - but as 33056 said, the incident with a failing point during testing happened 30 years ago

Yes, points would be approach locked if a train had been passed the last protecting signal, (at least with today's interlocking). Even during the frame test today, an release needs to be taken after the test because of the particular signalling set-up in my area for the Up/Down Main.

Tomnick

Established Member
For many, many years now, points have been locked (at the interlocking level) whilst the protecting signal is cleared or (slightly more recently, and still not always the case with trailing points) a train is between the protecting signal and the points. Approach locking (on NR - not sure, from Daniel's post, whether the terminology is different on LUL) provides additional protection if the signal is replaced to Danger before the train has passed.

DavyCrocket

The lever would return to the mid position and a release would be needed to normalise it. In many cases the train has to be at that signal (the procedure requires the train to also be at a stand). The real bother is when there is no release for a signal and it shouldn't have cleared!

Status
Not open for further replies.