• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

TfGM-website, timetable updates and general news concerning TfGM bus stations.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
I think it would be a good idea to open a thread like this to cover the bus services in "Greater Manchester" that have some TfGM timetable input in, plus news on any new TfGM bus station developments.

In the March 2013 TfGM service update news on their website, clarification has been made with details of the new operators for services previously run by Tyrer Bus, Bakerbus and Bluebird.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Shrimper

The Bluebird changes simply reflect their takeover by Stagecoach - there will be further changes next month as the main batch of TFGM tenders are renewed. AFAIK the 44 has been transferred to Manchester Community Transport; there are a few others which have changed too.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Tyrer Bus had operational problems in running the Hebden Bridge local town services with fleet service unreliability. Would matters such as this have been the case in those TfGM area.... or would it just be a commercial change ?

pemma

Veteran Member
FINGLANDS COACHWAYS LTD have put in a new application to operate Route 19 from Altrincham to Manchester Airport from 7th April and had their registration accepted.

gnolife

Established Member
FINGLANDS COACHWAYS LTD have put in a new application to operate Route 19 from Altrincham to Manchester Airport from 7th April and had their registration accepted.

So this'll be extending the current services which run from Altrincham to Helsby Road then. Will Arriva be continuing to run services on this route as well?

Shrimper

Evening tendered journeys (from Arriva) apparently. AFAIK daytime services will be remaining as they are now with both operators.

Established Member
The Bluebird changes simply reflect their takeover by Stagecoach - there will be further changes next month as the main batch of TFGM tenders are renewed. AFAIK the 44 has been transferred to Manchester Community Transport; there are a few others which have changed too.

If the 44 has been transferred to MCT then why does the 3rd March timetable say all journeys now operated by Stagecoach. There is also a registration on VOSA made by GM Buses South on 1st March commencing on the 7th April.

What has gone on behind the scenes?

Shrimper

If the 44 has been transferred to MCT then why does the 3rd March timetable say all journeys now operated by Stagecoach. There is also a registration on VOSA made by GM Buses South on 1st March commencing on the 7th April.

Because Stagecoach took over Bluebird effective that day and the tender transferred to the new ownership and hence the re-registration. You are correct on the commencing of a registration on the 7th April though, so I wonder if something has changed as MCT are shown as operating it daily in Notices and Proceedings. Maybe Stagecoach have the Sunday tender or something?

Shrimper

Interestingly, this appeared on the VOSA site on Monday:
PC0003681/342 - GREATER MANCHESTER BUSES SOUTH LTD T/A STAGECOACH MANCHESTER, HEAD OFFICE, HYDE ROAD, ARDWICK, MANCHESTER, M12 6JS
Cancellation Accepted by SN: Operating between Manchester and Manchester Airport given service number 44 effective from 07-Apr-2013.

cainebj

Established Member
Bluebird lost the tender for service 44, with the service passing to MCT from 8th April. None of it is remaining with Stagecoach. The Bluebird operators license wasn't part of the sale to Stagecoach, so Stagecoach had to register the service on their own license then cancel it again to cover the 5 weeks they'd run it.

Shrimper

Yes, but as 323235 pointed out there was a registration listed for them to run it starting on the 7th April when MCT take over.

cainebj

Established Member
Yes, but as 323235 pointed out there was a registration listed for them to run it starting on the 7th April when MCT take over.

Likely to have been an error when added to N&P, but not replicated on the database. The only listings showing on the database are Stagecoach registering 44, submitted on 25th February effective 3rd March, and cancellation submitted 5th March effective 7th April.

Shrimper

There is this one on the 1st March:

PC0003681/342 - GREATER MANCHESTER BUSES SOUTH LTD T/A STAGECOACH MANCHESTER, HEAD OFFICE, HYDE ROAD, ARDWICK, MANCHESTER, M12 6JS
Registration Accepted by SN
Starting Point: Manchester
Finish Point: Manchester Airport
Via:
Service Number: 44
Service Type: Normal Stopping
Effective Date: 07-APR-2013
Other Details: Service introduced.

However as it shows at the same time as every other Bluebird registration effective 3rd March I suspect this is a typo as well.

gnolife

Established Member
Can someone tell me what I'd put into the VOSA website to find Arriva North West's service changes. Specifically, I found a registration under Stagecoach's list to operates services on route 247 from Altrincham to Eccles via Sinderland, Partington and Flixton, which is an Arriva route currently, and want to find out if they've pullled out completely

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Can someone tell me what I'd put into the VOSA website to find Arriva North West's service changes. Specifically, I found a registration under Stagecoach's list to operates services on route 247 from Altrincham to Eccles via Sinderland, Partington and Flixton, which is an Arriva route currently, and want to find out if they've pullled out completely

The latest TfGM timetable for the 247 route dated 27th January 2013 shows the service being operated by Arriva North West and by Jpt. There is nothing with regard to the 247 route currently showing on the TfGM service changes database for either February 2013 or March 2013.

There is also no mention of the 247 service on the Arriva North West service updates on their own website that run up to the end of March 2013.

Sorry not to be any more help than this.

Last edited:

elarchibaldo

Can
someone tell me what I'd put into the VOSA website to find Arriva North
West's service changes. Specifically, I found a registration under
Stagecoach's list to operates services on route 247 from Altrincham to
Eccles via Sinderland, Partington and Flixton, which is an Arriva route
currently, and want to find out if they've pullled out
completely
Living in Partington, I was concerned about who would operate the 247. I have asked Arriva directly and they have said that Stagecoach Manchester are going to run the evening services from 1st April. I have seen the route training buses every day, on my way to school. If anyone wants an image, I'd be glad to upload :) also appears to be Stockport depot buses

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Living in Partington, I was concerned about who would operate the 247. I have asked Arriva directly and they have said that Stagecoach Manchester are going to run the evening services from 1st April. I have seen the route training buses every day, on my way to school. If anyone wants an image, I'd be glad to upload :) also appears to be Stockport depot buses

The evening services on the 247 route all show the symbol above them in the timetable to say they are financially supported by TfGM (i.e. tendered services), so it look Stagecoach Manchester have put in a lower bid in their tender submission than Arriva North West to run these.

radamfi

Established Member
Forthcoming changes to the bus network can be found here:

http://www.transportforgreatermanch...es_sub_committee-22_march_2013-meeting_papers

Notably the end of the Wigan night bus network and another round of quite savage cuts from Rossendale. The 181/2 which were doubled in frequency using subsidy from TfGM during the Oldham Loop works is going to be kept at the same level commercially for the time being, although the evening service will revert to hourly.

Last edited:

Shrimper

The significant bulk of changes won't occur until 7th April, hence the timetables won't yet be showing the changes on the routes. I have seen Stagecoach (Stockport vehicles) learning the 247 so I'm fairly certain it will go ahead!

To find out the state of various registrations, go to http://www.tan.gov.uk/tanen/vosa_selfserviceopbusregsearch_new.asp - there are various methods of searching. Notices and Proceedings (which lists any changes though can be a bit behind) can be found here http://www.dft.gov.uk/vosa/publicat...rafficarea/np-northwesterntrafficarea2013.htm.

This is the Arriva registration for the 247: http://www.tan.gov.uk/tanen/vosa_se...enceNo=PC0002598&cboRegNoFilter=PC0002598/311, which was varied at the same time Stagecoach put in their initial application: http://www.tan.gov.uk/tanen/vosa_se...enceNo=PC0003681&cboRegNoFilter=PC0003681/330

howittpie

Apparently the Wigan nightbus is coming off due to a large decrease in passengers in the last 3 years.

radamfi

Established Member
On the plus side, the Local Link service seems to be doing OK. Do you think Local Link is a good substitute for regular bus services? Is it value for money? The main problem I would say is that System One tickets are not valid on most (or all) of them, although acceptance would probably break the bank.

radamfi

Established Member

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Certain people can take advantage of the Ring and Ride service, which may be more appropriate

http://www.tfgm.com/ringandride/Pages/default.aspx

Local Link is intended to be a replacement for poorly used normal bus routes and to be used by everyone.

What wonderful socially aware services you have in the area that is administered by TfGM, of which I learn more about every day, hence my confusion as to both the two modes of travel stated in your quote above.

Of course, living in the rural northern hinterland of Cheshire East, we only have the choice between taking the Post-Chaise or the Barouche...:D

Status
Not open for further replies.