• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

TfGM-website, timetable updates and general news concerning TfGM bus stations.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
A further option is to change from the 368 to the 43 at the Broadoak Road stop on Poundswick Lane. That enables the journey to be made on a Stagecoach day ticket.

Agreed about the Stagecoach day rider, but the point that I originally sought to make was the 369 service before withdrawal gave Heald Green residents for very many years a direct service to the airport interchange.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Blackpudding

A number of cancellations from 1st September by First today:
24: Rochdale Bus Station to Manchester Piccadilly
38 and 39: Ashton Bus Station to Hazelhurst circulars
389: Ashton Bus Station to Hyde
393: Ashton Bus Station to Ashton Bus Station circulars
454 and 457 Rochdale Bus Station to Stansfield

Alexbus12

Something tells me they're trying to make it attractive for a possible sale..

Rod Harrison

Something tells me they're trying to make it attractive for a possible sale..
Slowly seem to be discarding all but the busy trunk services (81, 82, 83, 409, 430, 59 181/2) which would appeal to a few purchasers (Stagecoach, GANW, Transdev & Rotala).

Established Member

The 24 is just a handful of peak time journeys. Transdev (who recently started their own 457, creaming off daytime traffic on the busiest part of the route) would seem the likeliest candidate to replace the 454/457, Stagecoach for the Tameside routes. Whether they'll do it without subsidy is another question.

Rod Harrison

The 24 is just a handful of peak time journeys. Transdev (who recently started their own 457, creaming off daytime traffic on the busiest part of the route) would seem the likeliest candidate to replace the 454/457, Stagecoach for the Tameside routes. Whether they'll do it without subsidy is another question.
Agree about Rochdale, could see Stotts take 38/39 and possibly MCT the 383 and Stagecoach the 389.

Anthony ross

Established Member
First West Yorkshire have registered a 588 Rochdale to Rochdale circular from 1st September. I assume it's some sort of replacement for the 454/457 and a defensive move to protect passenger numbers on the 589/590 along Halifax Road to Littleborough from Rosso.
Basic details are here: https://www.vehicle-operator-licens...registered-local-bus-services/details/536293/

Presumably this means First will retain the service after selling Oldham, rather than ending up with three operators between Rochdale and Littleborough. It's still a bit weird though running a route the other side of the Pennines from Yorkshire. If ticket acceptance with their former Manchester operations ever ends I doubt this 588 would last long in the face of competition.

Could this maybe also be a sign that an announcement on Oldham is coming closer?

Deerfold

Veteran Member
Presumably this means First will retain the service after selling Oldham, rather than ending up with three operators between Rochdale and Littleborough. It's still a bit weird though running a route the other side of the Pennines from Yorkshire.

Todmorden has been in Lancashire.

Rod Harrison

Presumably this means First will retain the service after selling Oldham, rather than ending up with three operators between Rochdale and Littleborough. It's still a bit weird though running a route the other side of the Pennines from Yorkshire. If ticket acceptance with their former Manchester operations ever ends I doubt this 588 would last long in the face of competition.

Could this maybe also be a sign that an announcement on Oldham is coming closer?
Looks like positioning themselves for an early sale.

Andyh82

Established Member
The main road service from Littleborough to Rochdale is already split between First Manchester and First West Yorkshire (with Rosso now competing and Yorkshire Tiger running every 70 mins or so). It makes quite a lot of sense to transfer the First Manchester element to First West Yorkshire than to introduce another operator when Oldham is sold.

I’d guess the 589/590 would interwork with the 588. It’s actually not that strange as the same thing used to happen at the other end back in the 90s where GM Buses used to run part of the 590 and then would do a 591 within West Yorks before returning as a 590

lincman

The First Manchester depot at Oldham now remains their sole depot and also news is that their Bolton depot Vantage operations that ply their Guided Busway trade will still remain in their possession.
Do we know yet where Vantage vehicle maintenance will take place

WatcherZero

Established Member
Do we know yet where Vantage vehicle maintenance will take place

First proposed reopening Rusholme but after staff backlash with most of them living in Bolton they are now consulting on leasing space at Arrivas Bolton depot instead.

Established Member
The main road service from Littleborough to Rochdale is already split between First Manchester and First West Yorkshire (with Rosso now competing and Yorkshire Tiger running every 70 mins or so). It makes quite a lot of sense to transfer the First Manchester element to First West Yorkshire than to introduce another operator when Oldham is sold.

I’d guess the 589/590 would interwork with the 588. It’s actually not that strange as the same thing used to happen at the other end back in the 90s where GM Buses used to run part of the 590 and then would do a 591 within West Yorks before returning as a 590

The bit I think is strange is that there will probably soon be no First Manchester, so First West Yorkshire will be left operating a short distance route within a town in a different county, far from the depot, and in which they have no other network*.

*The one thing in their favour here is that they are for the moment retaining through ticketing with their former operations, but if that ends Transdev and whoever gets Oldham will have clear advantages for through journeys and reliability.

Deerfold

Veteran Member

I'm not sure what a 591 is.

Are you thinking of the former 562 (Oldham to Halifax / Oldham to Denshaw alternate hours) and 561 (Halifax to Commons) which were shared on a Sunday - 1 bus each operator with both doing short runs Oldham to Denshaw and 561s?
I once showed a First Manchester driver the way to the hamlet of Commons as he'd been sent out with no directions. I'm sure he thought I was having him on as we went down narrower roads and I then showed him where to turn.

Blackpudding

The bit I think is strange is that there will probably soon be no First Manchester, so First West Yorkshire will be left operating a short distance route within a town in a different county, far from the depot, and in which they have no other network

I see it as a defensive move by FWY. If they don't fill the gap then someone like Rosso will and before you know it Rosso will be running Rochdale to Todmorden. And then what's to stop Burnley and Pendle running from Burnley to Todmorden. That would be Transdev in direct competition on the FWY 589 Burnley to Rochdale route and part of the 590 route.

radamfi

Established Member
I have read on another forum that Dentonian, real name Philip Longdon, a regular contributor on here for a while on all things Greater Mancunian, has passed away.

Deerfold

Veteran Member
I see it as a defensive move by FWY. If they don't fill the gap then someone like Rosso will and before you know it Rosso will be running Rochdale to Todmorden. And then what's to stop Burnley and Pendle running from Burnley to Todmorden.

Again.

They carried on running it for a while after taking over Northern Blue - it was a bit of a long single route out of their main network.

That would be Transdev in direct competition on the FWY 589 Burnley to Rochdale route and part of the 590 route.

And a lot more attractive as part of a proper network - especially with First having split the 592 at Todmorden.

Blackpudding

I have read on another forum that Dentonian, real name Philip Longdon, a regular contributor on here for a while on all things Greater Mancunian, has passed away.

Thanks for the post radamfi. I know it shouldn't come as a shock because of his long illness but it does. He will be missed for his forthright views and being an all round good egg.

Blackpudding

Been a while since I have been to Ashton but I presume the routes First are surrendering don’t need deckers. Maybe the deckers are for a 409 takeover ? Pure speculation of course but you would have thought that Stagecoach would be interested in taking it on if it is as profitable as has been quoted and First are phasing a closure of Oldham if they cannot find a buyer ?

I am not overly familiar with Ashton routes but any time I have been over recently I have only seen saloons. May be a need for deckers at school in/out times. I wouldn't single out the 409 for special attention by Stagecoach as with the possible exception of the 6 (Rochdale to Kirkholt) I would have thought they would be interested in all remaining Oldham routes.
My thoughts are that First are looking at closure rather than a sale. The vehicles are a valuable asset that can be reused elsewhere within the group and the garage site is supposedly in an area identified for redevelopment. Andy Burnham gave them a great excuse to get out following years of large losses but the vehicles are the prize.

I borrowed the comment below from another site but I have yet to see and formal announcement but I would expect it to come to fruition. The 117 would, I assume, replace the recently withdrawn First 81 shorts between Manchester and Moston

'Following the withdrawal of the current operator, Stagecoach will be operating a number of new routes in North Manchester and Tameside from September:

117 - new route from Manchester to New Moston.
119 - current 118A journeys will be renumbered 119.
336/7 - replaces parts of routes 38/39, 331/333/393 withdrawn by First. The route will serve Ashton - Broadoak - Hazelhurst - Ashton in a loop.
389 - replaces part of current 389 route between Ashton and Yew Tree Lane in Dukinfield, current 389 route withdrawn by First.'

Status
Not open for further replies.