• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

TfGM-website, timetable updates and general news concerning TfGM bus stations.

Status
Not open for further replies.

I’m sure Stagecoach would be interested in the remaining Oldham routes and a withdrawal by First would not give stagecoach the CMA issues they had with JPT and Bluebird acquisitions I guess. Depot space would be an issue though - I have no idea what capacity they have in Middleton and Ashton.
On the other hand there is potential for a bit of a scrap between Stagecoach / Transdev and Go to register the Oldham routes if this comes to pass.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

lincman

First proposed reopening Rusholme but after staff backlash with most of them living in Bolton they are now consulting on leasing space at Arrivas Bolton depot instead.
Yes I understand this is the proposal, but the space being looked at is the old gas works site adjacent to the Arriva depot which does not have any engineering facilities, so where will the fleet be maintained.

Andyh82

Established Member
The bit I think is strange is that there will probably soon be no First Manchester, so First West Yorkshire will be left operating a short distance route within a town in a different county, far from the depot, and in which they have no other network*.

*The one thing in their favour here is that they are for the moment retaining through ticketing with their former operations, but if that ends Transdev and whoever gets Oldham will have clear advantages for through journeys and reliability.
As pointed out though, First West Yorks already run the other Littleborough to Rochdale services, those that start back in West Yorks, and to be fair Littleborough to Todmorden isn’t that far.

Wirewiper

Yes I understand this is the proposal, but the space being looked at is the old gas works site adjacent to the Arriva depot which does not have any engineering facilities, so where will the fleet be maintained.

Arriva could be sub-contracted to do all servicing and maintenance for the Vantage buses. First Berkshire already has an arrangement like this, whereby its RailAir coach fleet is garaged at Reading Buses' Great Knollys Street Depot and Reading Transport Ltd. has a full servicing and maintenance contract for the fleet.

lincman

Arriva could be sub-contracted to do all servicing and maintenance for the Vantage buses. First Berkshire already has an arrangement like this, whereby its RailAir coach fleet is garaged at Reading Buses' Great Knollys Street Depot and Reading Transport Ltd. has a full servicing and maintenance contract for the fleet.
As I understand the situation the yard has nothing to do with Arriva, so Vantage will not be garaged with Arriva, and why move from the current location when a deal could be done with Rotala.

NorthernSpirit

Established Member
First West Yorkshire have registered a 588 Rochdale to Rochdale circular from 1st September. I assume it's some sort of replacement for the 454/457 and a defensive move to protect passenger numbers on the 589/590 along Halifax Road to Littleborough from Rosso.
Basic details are here: https://www.vehicle-operator-licens...registered-local-bus-services/details/536293/

What's the chance that this could interwork with the Calder Connect 589, which is also operated by the Todmorden outstation?

Wirewiper

As I understand the situation the yard has nothing to do with Arriva, so Vantage will not be garaged with Arriva, and why move from the current location when a deal could be done with Rotala.

First could well do a deal with Rotala. Mine was only a suggestion based on the yard being adjacent, with Vantage buses visiting the Arriva depot for servicing and maintenance but being parked up in the adjacent yard.

We shall have to wait and see.

Alexbus12

It may have to be though. If they go into the yard at Arriva they'll have to go into the depot to. That yard across the road only takes around 15 buses, there will be about 30 buses with Vantage + spares..

lincman

It may have to be though. If they go into the yard at Arriva they'll have to go into the depot to. That yard across the road only takes around 15 buses, there will be about 30 buses with Vantage + spares..
Is this the same yard where all the Stagecoach nationals were damaged

njlawley

No that yard was located across Lum Street down the side of the depot. The current Arriva overspill is on the opposite side of Folds Road.

Alexbus12

Not been mentioned on here, but one of Greater Manchester's independent opened operators, Vision, is to commence operation of two new commercial circular bus routes from September. Good to see an independent trying out new routes!

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
First could well do a deal with Rotala. Mine was only a suggestion based on the yard being adjacent, with Vantage buses visiting the Arriva depot for servicing and maintenance but being parked up in the adjacent yard.

We shall have to wait and see.

Wasn't it reported that the Rotala Atherton depot is to close and so it's operations will be folded into Bolton so it probably wouldn't be able to do that and accommodate Vantage. Mind you, they could take on Atherton depot (only kidding :D)

Deerfold

Veteran Member
Not been mentioned on here, but one of Greater Manchester's independent opened operators, Vision, is to commence operation of two new commercial circular bus routes from September. Good to see an independent trying out new routes!

Fancy sharing with us where these routes run?

Kahuna47

Fancy sharing with us where these routes run?

https://www.visionbus.co.uk/news/brand-new-bus-service/

Its a circular route from Bolton up to Johnson Fold, in the north west of the town. Its serves Chorley Old Road in one direction then comes back via Church Road, like the current 501 ran by First (soon to be Diamond Bus).

People on Johnson Fold have campaigned for the 519 to be reinstated for 18 months since it was binned by First. Suprisingly no-one took it over, mainly because the Stagecoach 125 to Preston serves it (but not the estate). Tbh, most of those complaining were that they couldn't get to the Morrisons on Chorley Old Road (despite the rerouted 501 taking them next to another Morrisons in Bolton town centre!).

Cheers,

K

Wirewiper

They had better not brand them and call them "Amazing" though or people might actually use them :D

Not sure of the completeness of the list as updates are often uploaded over a number of days, but TfGM have published a list of changes to the bus network from the end of October.

The most noticeable bit for me (as a Wigan/Bolton/Bury traveller,) are the rejigging of several subsidised routes around Bury and renumbering as B1, B2 & B3. It also looks as though the Evening subsidised journeys around Bolton that are currently being operated by First from Oldham, will be transferred to Diamond.

The list as usual is at: https://tfgm.com/public-transport/bus/service-changes :)

markymark2000

On Moderation
Not sure of the completeness of the list as updates are often uploaded over a number of days, but TfGM have published a list of changes to the bus network from the end of October.

The most noticeable bit for me (as a Wigan/Bolton/Bury traveller,) are the rejigging of several subsidised routes around Bury and renumbering as B1, B2 & B3. It also looks as though the Evening subsidised journeys around Bolton that are currently being operated by First from Oldham, will be transferred to Diamond.

The list as usual is at: https://tfgm.com/public-transport/bus/service-changes :)
Route 2 is still being ran by First Oldham.

The 68 change I think is partly due to First not wanting it and the fact Diamond are losing 2 buses from the 26. Why not when the likelihood is Diamond have the cheaper tender price.

njlawley

The 68 change I think is partly due to First not wanting it and the fact Diamond are losing 2 buses from the 26. Why not when the likelihood is Diamond have the cheaper tender price.

I think the change is in lieu of the 35 contract. The 26 simply becomes the 34 to bring evening services in line with daytime ones.

On another note, it seems TfGM have become confused with the B&P / Rosso licence merger, as they're publicising the latter's services as being run by the former.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Harking back to the title of this thread, looking at the latest batch of changes on the TfGM website, I bet someone will regret not vetting what was put into print, as the 245 Altrincham to intu Trafford Centre changes due to come into effect on 27th October talks about Huddersfield, Greenfield and Oldham..o_O:rolleyes:

Alexbus12

May as well put this in here as I dont think it warrants a new thread, and might be of interest to some users.
https://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/news/17984225.concerns-tyrers-coaches-depot-operation/

Concerns over Tyrers Coaches depot operation

CLAIMS that a bus depot is operating outside of its approved planning conditions are being investigated.

Tyrers Coaches moved into a site off Bloomfield Road, in Farnworth, without council permission in 2015.

The company's retrospective application to stay on the site was approved in June 2018 with a number of conditions.

Residents living on nearby Conway Street and Valdene Drive have said that Tyrers are not meeting a number of these conditions.

In a letter to councillors, seen by The Bolton News, Conway Street resident John Anderton described the situation as a "travesty of planning protocol".

He wrote: "[The council] imposed a number of conditions in order to safeguard the living conditions of local residents and the amenity and character of the area, including a condition to secure the implementation and retention of a ‘noise management plan’ (‘NMP’).

"The legal undertaking of the NMP formed the basis of a proactive commitment from the developer and Bolton Council to eliminate the unacceptable adverse effects of the bus depot.

"Regrettably the developer is not complying with certain conditions or with the NMP, resulting regularly in unacceptable adverse effects upon the amenity of local residents."

Included in the letter is a table, detailing the conditions, how they have been breached and information about evidence which prove the breaches.

Among the conditions allegedly breached are increased activity levels (65 buses and coaches using the site rather than the 40 agreed), buses leaving the site at 5am and coming back after 11pm, despite agreed hours of operation being 7am until 11pm, and buses accessing the site through the wrong entrance.

Signing the letter off on behalf of the residents of Conway Street and Valdene Drive, Mr Anderson wrote: “We ask for your support to correct this fundamental error of granting planning permission.”

The Town Hall confirmed that it was aware of the concerns and that they were being looked into.

A spokesman for Bolton Council said: “Council officers have met with Mr Anderton to discuss his concerns about the site and an investigation is ongoing.”

The Bolton News approached Tyrers Coaches but the company declined to comment due to director Matthew Buckley being on annual leave.

daodao

Established Member
With the demise of Manchester Community Transport this month, the latest "planned changes" section of the TfGM website states that Diamond will take over some of those routes with effect from 19th April 2020.

There seem to be a significant number of Diamond buses trundling around Altrincham at the moment carrying fresh air, although I did see one passenger on route 282 to Oldfield Brow (currently running 2 hourly) the other day.

I would have thought that TfGM should stop funding all subsidised routes for the duration of the current Covid-19 crisis, and stop permanently all subsidies for evening bus services, as Cheshire East Council has done.

Last edited:

daodao

Established Member
Does Diamond have the capacity to work extra services?
Almost certainly at present, and likely to be the case for at least the next few months, while reduced services are being operated. They can then plan for the longer term. However, TfGM should be trying to reduce bus subsidies and scrap their stupid bus franchising proposals.

Deerfold

Veteran Member
There seem to be a significant number of Diamond buses trundling around Altrincham at the moment carrying fresh air, although I did see one passenger on route 282 to Oldfield Brow (currently running 2 hourly) the other day.

I would have thought that TfGM should stop funding all subsidised routes for the duration of the current Covid-19 crisis, and stop permanently all subsidies for evening bus services, as Cheshire East Council has done.

And how are NHS shift workers going to get home if there's no evening buses?

Why should they permanently stop all subsidies for evening buses? When I was a teenager the only thing that stopped me driving was knowing I could get home by bus in an evening.

daodao

Established Member
And how are NHS shift workers going to get home if there's no evening buses?

Why should they permanently stop all subsidies for evening buses? When I was a teenager the only thing that stopped me driving was knowing I could get home by bus in an evening.
There are no social and entertainment reasons for travelling in the evening at present. It would be cheaper to provide taxis for the few essential workers who haven't got cars to travel then. Car use should be encouraged where possible at these times when the roads aren't busy. Funding unused public transport is pouring taxpayers' money down the drain.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
There are no social and entertainment reasons for travelling in the evening at present. It would be cheaper to provide taxis for the few essential workers who haven't got cars to travel then. Car use should be encouraged where possible at these times when the roads aren't busy. Funding unused public transport is pouring taxpayers' money down the drain.

Not sure I understand as you said about ending evening bus subsidies permanently...

The problem about encouraging car use in any way is that once people have cars, they tend to use them whether the roads are busy or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.