TfGM Photography Permit

Discussion in 'Photography Advice & Discussion' started by northernrail, 25 Sep 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. northernrail

northernrail Member

Hi All,
    Whilst out photographing the Metrolink the other week i was asked to delete the photographs id took and get a "Photography Permit" from TfGM, tonight at my local bus station i was told it would be better to get one from TfGM, but i cant find the relevant email adress for it? anyone know it?

2. Registered users do not see these banners - join or log in today!

Rail Forums

3. Wath Yard

Wath Yard Member

Never delete photos when requested to do so. Nobody, even the police, has the authority to request that you delete photos. Only a court can order that.

4. MidnightFlyer

MidnightFlyer Veteran Member

I believe police can with a warrant, but yes, you are under no inclination whatsoever to delete photos, they have no right to instruct you to do so. That in itself may be worth a quick report to TfGM about.

5. northernrail

northernrail Member

Oh i didnt, id hat some of my best photographs ive took that day, id have chewed his arm off if he made me delete them

6. Peter Mugridge

Peter Mugridge Established Member

Were you on one of the stations / stops or in a public place such as Market Square?

Edit: Errr... I think I mean the Piccadilly Gardens area where the triangle is don't I?!

Last edited: 27 Sep 2012
  7. GB

GB Established Member

Is a warrant the same as a court order?

8. northernrail

northernrail Member

I was on the platform at Whitefield

9. yorkie

yorkie Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Sorry to hear that there are some staff who behave in this way. There are some friendly Metrolink staff though! ;) You can get much better photos at non-station locations, in my opinion.

10. alexdodds

alexdodds Member

So far I have had no trouble taking videos and pictures on the metrolink both on the trams and stations. And there is nothing on the website indicating that photos are banned without permission.

11. northernrail

northernrail Member

Its the first time ive ever heard anything towards photography

12. windoze11

windoze11 Member

if You do delete photos delete them , then replace the mem card and recover the photos off your card you deleted earlier aslong as you dont write to the card once deleted , you will get them back that way and looks like youve deleted them

13. K9-70

K9-70 Member

If your camera menu has a setting to show next photo after the one you've taken, then change it to that setting and here's what you should do.

Take two or three photos of the said subject, then turn around and take two or more photos of "anything you like."

When approached by the member of staff and asked to delete the photo of the said subject, scroll back to the last photo you took of the said subject, delete it and the next photo in the sequence to show up on the screen should/will be the photo you took of "anything you like."

Once the member of staff has left the scene, then delete the photos of "anything you like."

14. David

David Established Member

No, you don't delete anything!

Instead politely refuse to delete your photos, and ask to see the court order that requires you to delete them.

If at any point the person asking/telling you to delete photos (attempts to) grabs the camera and delete the photos themselves, this is assault and criminal damage.

15. eastwestdivide

eastwestdivide Established Member

There's no mention of photo permits that I could find on the Metrolink website, even in the bye-laws. Even if you use their search facility for "photograph" or "permit".

16. K9-70

K9-70 Member

Yes, I agree with what you are saying, but sometimes you have to look at the wider situation and access, Is it worth the hassle ?

The other factor you have to think about is.

The member of staff or perhaps Joe Public dosen't like his photo being taken, so grabs your camera and breaks it, (criminal damage). Unlikely from a member of staff.

Or they might give you a bad beating requiring hosiptal treatment, maybe a long stay, (assault). Again, unlikely from a member of staff.

Sometimes it is better to do when asked and walk away with your head held high.

Remember, he who laughs last, laughs longest.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.