TFGM Wayfarer on the train with RTVs?

Discussion in 'Fares Advice & Policy' started by Puffing Devil, 24 Apr 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Puffing Devil

Puffing Devil Member

I have a £19.50 RTV from Virgin as a result of a delay into London this week.

Downside is that most of my personal travel is local and costs < £19, even when travalling with the Kids on a Railcard.

One way we may be able to blow the voucher is by using a Wayfarer. Is there any reason why this couldn't be issued on the train with a RTV.

Origin is unstaffed village with no TVM.

Any other creative uses for it? I could always replace the F&F Railcard later in the year, though I've always done that online.

2. cool110

cool110 Member

There'll be no problem buying them on board when starting at an unstaffed station.

3. Starmill

Starmill Established Member

Which TOC will you board from your origin? Be prepared to put up a fight, that is my advice. Rail Travel Vouchers are an accepted payment method. But some conductors do not like accepting them, or will try to tell you they can only be used on VT, or that they can't be spent on the product you want, or some other excuse to try and just make you give them cash. Fortunately this isn't too common, but just make sure you're clear you're paying with an RTV, there was no opportunity to buy before boarding because you got on at X, and if the conductor is unable to make the transaction, you could make your way to a ticket office at the first station where your interchange time is sufficient to queue.

If you buy the railcard at a station, you can use the RTV to pay for it there too.

Last edited: 25 Apr 2015
  4. Puffing Devil

Puffing Devil Member

It's Northern, so we'll see how we go!

Thought twice about the railcard as there's a £20 saving in buying a 3 year card online - plus insulation from any future price rises.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.