• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

TfL 15H Routemaster service unlikely to return post-COVID

Status
Not open for further replies.

londonteacher

I wasn't saying they should, but replying to the previous suggestion that all tourists care about is any red London double decker
If you only had pictures of a modern red bus on a post card I am almost certain that tourists would still buy it!

Tourists buy tourist souvenirs. It doesn't matter what's on them!

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

RJ

Established Member
As for being profitable - if there was profit in it, someone would already be running such a service.

That no-one is doing so says it all.

Took the words right out of my mouth! The route duplicated the 15 and wasn't required for capacity. If there is a market for a regular tourist service with Routemasters then someone will step in to provide it. However as someone qualified and licenced to operate buses, I would not be doing that because the numbers don't add up and I don't see anybody else rushing doing it.

I just hope that the rota'd drivers and conductors have been successful in finding other roles.

Last edited:

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Took the words right out of my mouth! The route duplicated the 15 and wasn't required for capacity. If there is a market for a regular tourist service with Routemasters then someone will step in to provide it. However as someone qualified and licenced to operate buses, I would not be doing that because the numbers don't add up and I don't see anybody else rushing doing it.

I just hope that the rota'd drivers and conductors have been successful in finding other roles.
The route HAD to duplicate the main 15, because to get the exemption from the usual regulations a passenger who couldn't access a Routemaster by reason of disability had to be able to make the exact same journey by accessible bus, and to satisfy the very strong disability 'lobby' the Routemasters had to be treated as 'extras' i.e. TfL were required to provide a sufficient allocation of accessible buses to provide what they regarded as the expected number of passengers. Based on all that, any heritage service able to pay its way might suggest the main service was underbussed. Believe me, TfL can't win!!

P.S. Therefore the 15H couldn't be extended to Oxford Circus (or Regent Street/Conduit Street at any rate) which might have produced a significant upturn in passenger numbers, at least not without the main 15 doing likewise.

Last edited:

MotCO

Established Member
P.S. Therefore the 15H couldn't be extended to Oxford Circus (or Regent Street/Conduit Street at any rate) which might have produced a significant upturn in passenger numbers, at least not without the main 15 doing likewise.

Unless it became a 9H from Charing Cross to Oxford Circus.

MotCO

Established Member
Transport for London (TfL) is currently exploring options for rehoming or selling the buses. I hope this may lead to the vehicles being celebrated in other ways, such as heritage days on regular routes at weekends

That may not be a bad idea, but it would have to rely on private preservationists rather than TfL funding of services, and may not be tapping into the tourist market. I remember several years ago when 8 RFs ran in service on route 213 alongside modern vehicles - the general public were surprised and pleased to be be able to enjoy a ride on these buses. Likewise recent running days for the 210 and 65 attracted a lot of vehicles - wouldn't it have been great had the public been able to ride on them, had Covid not intervened.

galwhv69

Likewise recent running days for the 210 and 65 attracted a lot of vehicles - wouldn't it have been great had the public been able to ride on them, had Covid not intervened.
Bit confused by that statement : The 65 event was comprised of 2 parts, a road run and a running day, where about 25 vehicles did the routes out of service, and around 30-35 did the routes in service, free for the public to use. Many did use the heritage service, with the older generation recalling to the youth how they used to ride on these buses daily. The recollections by some people were really interesting to listen to. :)

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Bit confused by that statement : The 65 event was comprised of 2 parts, a road run and a running day, where about 25 vehicles did the routes out of service, and around 30-35 did the routes in service, free for the public to use. Many did use the heritage service, with the older generation recalling to the youth how they used to ride on these buses daily. The recollections by some people were really interesting to listen to. :)
I thought the 210 RFs were available to the public as well, but I wasn't there so can't swear to it.

MotCO

Established Member
I thought the 210 RFs were available to the public as well, but I wasn't there so can't swear to it.

Wasn't the 210 RLH's, or have I got that confused as well :oops:

@galwhv69 and @Busaholic - I didn't get to see either , but thought that they were only private road runs - my apologies.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Wasn't the 210 RLH's, or have I got that confused as well :oops:

@galwhv69 and @Busaholic - I didn't get to see either , but thought that they were only private road runs - my apologies.
I think you're talking about the 178 from Clapton Pond to Stratford (Maryland Station) which was recently recreated with RLHs, being the last route operating them 40 years ago. Quite how you recreate it when almost everything on the Eastern part of the route has changed utterly beyond recognition I don't know, but they achieved it somehow. Bravo! I'd feel like an alien if I went back to what was a stamping ground for me sixty years ago and more.

Last edited:

MotCO

Established Member
Anyway, I still like the idea of organised route running days a la the 65, but somehow they will need to be advertised if it is to be a tourist attraction, rather than just an enthusiasts' day.

adrock1976

Established Member
What's it called? It's called Cumbernauld
Regarding heritage Routemasters no longer running and not likely too in the foreseeable future, would it be worthwhile exploring what to do with their present day successor the Borismasters running heritage routes (properly marketed of course) when their time is due?

alex397

Established Member
Anyway, I still like the idea of organised route running days a la the 65, but somehow they will need to be advertised if it is to be a tourist attraction, rather than just an enthusiasts' day.
Yes I like that idea too. It may help raise more money for museums and other heritage organisations as well.

I think certain enthusiasts may not like non-enthusiasts getting on though - some of the attitudes from some on running days towards people is not really great. For example, being aggressive with people getting in the way of photos or getting annoyed because someone called an RT a Routemaster. I was once called a four-letter expletive just because I accidentally walked in front of someone taking a photo!

Anyway, my grievance aside, I think it’s a good idea. When there used to be the Herne Bay Bus Rally, it was popular with local tourists often with young families who wanted an open top ride along the seafront. I’d even suggest enthusiasts were outnumbered at this event, which usually took place in the height of the summer during the Herne Bay Festival. So, I’d say the market is there if advertised properly.

Robertj21a

On Moderation
Regarding heritage Routemasters no longer running and not likely too in the foreseeable future, would it be worthwhile exploring what to do with their present day successor the Borismasters running heritage routes (properly marketed of course) when their time is due?
I think most people will be happier just seeing them in a breaker's yard.

:E

carlberry

Established Member
Yes I like that idea too. It may help raise more money for museums and other heritage organisations as well.

I think certain enthusiasts may not like non-enthusiasts getting on though - some of the attitudes from some on running days towards people is not really great. For example, being aggressive with people getting in the way of photos or getting annoyed because someone called an RT a Routemaster. I was once called a four-letter expletive just because I accidentally walked in front of someone taking a photo!

Anyway, my grievance aside, I think it’s a good idea. When there used to be the Herne Bay Bus Rally, it was popular with local tourists often with young families who wanted an open top ride along the seafront. I’d even suggest enthusiasts were outnumbered at this event, which usually took place in the height of the summer during the Herne Bay Festival. So, I’d say the market is there if advertised properly.
Unfortunately not an unusual occurrence during running days, despite an impression that most of the money generated by such events (programs or donations) actually comes from the general public as apposed to enthusiasts.

Robertj21a

On Moderation
Unfortunately not an unusual occurrence during running days, despite an impression that most of the money generated by such events (programs or donations) actually comes from the general public as apposed to enthusiasts.
Very true. A sizeable proportion of enthusiasts moan about everything, cost of entry, a programme, donations etc. It's a great shame given the amount of work contributed by volunteers for months in advance.

Status
Not open for further replies.