• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

TfL Acton Main Line - Pad delay/refund query

Status
Not open for further replies.

Established Member
This has happened a few times now so thought one of our London members may have found themselves in a similar situation.

Trains from Acton Main Line are operated by TfL Rail, no other services stop here apart from a few early morning/late evening GWR trains. For example, I tap in at 0820 for the 0833 service. This shows as delayed then finally cancelled at 0853. After a few minutes the next service (0903) is then shown as cancelled too. Instead of waiting for the 0933 service (one hour delay), I exit the station but don't tap out, catch bus to North Acton and then Central line to Oxford Circus.

I was charged £3.30 for an incomplete journey, £1.50 for bus journey to North Acton and £2.80 for North Acton to Oxford Circus. As I was delayed by more than the 30 minutes on TfL Rail I would have expected a refund for the £3.30, plus the £1.50 and £2.80 I had to additionally spend to get into central London. After ringing up TfL today, I've been told that they will only refund the £3.30 for the incomplete journey, and not the £1.50 and £2.80.

However, if I had waited an extra half an hour for the 09.33, and touched out at Paddington and back in at Paddington Underground and then back out again at Oxford Circus (i.e. shows as one complete journey on their systems), I would have been refunded the full amount for the journey.

Anyone know if this is correct? Or anyone had a similar situation happen?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

hkstudent

Established Member
This has happened a few times now so thought one of our London members may have found themselves in a similar situation.

Trains from Acton Main Line are operated by TfL Rail, no other services stop here apart from a few early morning/late evening GWR trains. For example, I tap in at 0820 for the 0833 service. This shows as delayed then finally cancelled at 0853. After a few minutes the next service (0903) is then shown as cancelled too. Instead of waiting for the 0933 service (one hour delay), I exit the station but don't tap out, catch bus to North Acton and then Central line to Oxford Circus.

I was charged £3.30 for an incomplete journey, £1.50 for bus journey to North Acton and £2.80 for North Acton to Oxford Circus. As I was delayed by more than the 30 minutes on TfL Rail I would have expected a refund for the £3.30, plus the £1.50 and £2.80 I had to additionally spend to get into central London. After ringing up TfL today, I've been told that they will only refund the £3.30 for the incomplete journey, and not the £1.50 and £2.80.

However, if I had waited an extra half an hour for the 09.33, and touched out at Paddington and back in at Paddington Underground and then back out again at Oxford Circus (i.e. shows as one complete journey on their systems), I would have been refunded the full amount for the journey.

Anyone know if this is correct? Or anyone had a similar situation happen?
You definitely was being delayed by the TfL service. But, it's a bit grey area for that.
I would suggest you to ping a webform for requesting a refund for rest of the journeys, if not suceed, appeal again, and then get to London Travelwatch.

njr001

It may be worth calling the Oyster helpline (0343 222 1234) if you card is registered, I've found them very helpful with refunds in general if you explain the circumstances.

hkstudent

Established Member
It may be worth calling the Oyster helpline (0343 222 1234) if you card is registered, I've found them very helpful with refunds in general if you explain the circumstances.
The OP has called the hotline already.
I would suggest using the webform, as they have written record in response, and can get the appeal to London Travelwatch be easier.

Joe Paxton

Established Member
OP, it might not seem fair, but it is a correct reading of the rules.

Similar situations can occur across London where a rail service is delayed, so passengers re-route via other modes - e.g. bus / tube / DLR / other rail route or some combination thereof, or indeed take a taxi or minicab or get a lift for part of the journey.

I think what makes it feel more iniquitous in this case is that the rail service is the responsibility of TfL, as of course are the buses and the Underground (the fall back modes of transport).

hkstudent

Established Member
OP, it might not seem fair, but it is a correct reading of the rules.

Similar situations can occur across London where a rail service is delayed, so passengers re-route via other modes - e.g. bus / tube / DLR / other rail route or some combination thereof, or indeed take a taxi or minicab or get a lift for part of the journey.

I think what makes it feel more iniquitous in this case is that the rail service is the responsibility of TfL, as of course are the buses and the Underground (the fall back modes of transport).
I don't think that exactly the case for TfL.
TfL's delay refund scheme is different from ATOC/National Rail's delay repay scheme.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
This is where ticket acceptance is useful.

Without it, you can claim a 100 per cent refund on the unused ticket/touch in and only pay the cost of the alternative journey.

However if it is in place, the alternative journey costs you nothing (if charged, you can claim a refund) and you can potentially get compensation on top.

Was ticket acceptance in place?

Do we know what TfLs policy regarding ticket acceptance is?

(If acceptance is in place, it is easier if you are using a paper ticket of course!)

Established Member
Apologies for the late response, but to update:

Having sent a response regarding the refund for the TfL Rail/bus/Tube fares, I didn't receive a reply. From the looks of it, when I spoke to the customer service staff and manager on the phone, the complaint was closed. However, a few days later I received a refund of 80p. Having double checked, this was due to the fact that the journey from Acton Main Line to Paddington (which I was unable to make) was charged at £3.30, and went above the daily price cap.

At the time there was no annoucement regarding ticket acceptance. Indeed, as this can be a common occurence at Acton where local stoppers are cancelled, the alternate 266 to North Acton and Central line is the de facto thing to do. However, this is the first time I've potentially faced a delay of one hour and so the first time I have claimed for the refund. Normally I'd just wait the extra 30 minutes as the Central line is normally packed.

It would be interesting to find out what the scope is for ticket acceptance, especially as has been previously said, it is TfL who operate/oversee TfL Rail, the buses and Tube.

I've sent a written letter asking for the complaint to be escalated, and will await the response.

hkstudent

Established Member
Apologies for the late response, but to update:

Having sent a response regarding the refund for the TfL Rail/bus/Tube fares, I didn't receive a reply. From the looks of it, when I spoke to the customer service staff and manager on the phone, the complaint was closed. However, a few days later I received a refund of 80p. Having double checked, this was due to the fact that the journey from Acton Main Line to Paddington (which I was unable to make) was charged at £3.30, and went above the daily price cap.

At the time there was no annoucement regarding ticket acceptance. Indeed, as this can be a common occurence at Acton where local stoppers are cancelled, the alternate 266 to North Acton and Central line is the de facto thing to do. However, this is the first time I've potentially faced a delay of one hour and so the first time I have claimed for the refund. Normally I'd just wait the extra 30 minutes as the Central line is normally packed.

It would be interesting to find out what the scope is for ticket acceptance, especially as has been previously said, it is TfL who operate/oversee TfL Rail, the buses and Tube.

I've sent a written letter asking for the complaint to be escalated, and will await the response.
Yeah, hope you will get a good response.
If things don't go well, transfer the case to London Travelwatch. They are kind of helpful.

Status
Not open for further replies.