• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

TfL Extension ideas

Status
Not open for further replies.

BritishGuy54

DLR to Romford
Gallions Reach (DLR to Beckton)
Beckton Riverside
Creekmouth
Barking Riverside (Overground)
Goresbrook
Dagenham Dock (c2c)
Dagenham Heathway (District (Street Level Interchange))
Becontree Heath
Rush Green
Romford (Overground/Crossrail/Greater Anglia)

Trains will mainly run from Canning Town/Custom House
Bay Platforms at:
Canning Town
Custom House
Dagenham Dock
Romford

Mainly Built in Tunnels

Bakerloo Line Extension
Phase 1:
Elephant & Castle
Camberwell
Peckham Rye (Overground,etc.)
Nunhead
New Cross Gate (Overground,Southern)
Lewisham (DLR, Southeastern)

Phase 2:
Lewisham
Ladywell
Catford Bridge (For Catford)
Lower Sydenham
New Beckenham
Kent House (For Beckenham Road)
Elmers End (Trams)
Eden Park
West Wickham
Hayes

Phase 3:
Lewisham
Blackheath
Charlton
Woolwich Dockyard
Woolwich Arsenal (DLR, Southeastern (For Woolwich: Crossrail))
Thamesmead
Barking Riverside (Overground)
Dagenham Dock (c2c)
Beam Park (c2c)

Built in Tunnels

Jubilee Line Extension:

North Greenwich
Silvertown
Custom House (Crossrail)
North Beckton
Barking(District/H&C/Overground/c2c)

Built in Tunnels

Overground (Romford-Upminster) Extension:
Upminster
Emerson Park
Romford
Collier Row
Marks Gate
Hainault Forest
Hainault

Double Tracking Needed

Overground (Gospel Oak-Barking)
Barking
Barking Riverside
Thamesmead
Abbey Wood

Hammersmith&City to Beam Park

Barking
Barking South
Dagenham Dock
Beam Park

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Jack Barry

Pehaps we should have a fantasy section, but I don't think any of these other than the Bakerloo ext will be built this century.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Just like to point out that planning for the Bakerloo extension to Lewisham continues, but via Old Kent Road rather than Camberwell and Peckham Rye, although I would agree with you on the necessity that the latter places join the tube network.

Andrew S

I may have misunderstood, but are you really suggesting the Bakerloo is extended over NR infrastructure to Thamesmead?

If so, bonkers.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
No scope for any eastern extension of the Jubilee Line - its basically fully utilised to/from Stratford these days. Plus your proposed route heavily duplicates Crossrail anyway.

IceAgeComing

I may have misunderstood, but are you really suggesting the Bakerloo is extended over NR infrastructure to Thamesmead?

If so, bonkers.

Seems to mostly be parallel tunnels which is possibly even more bonkers!

I live in Abbey Wood; approximately two people would use the Bakerloo line that far out rather than Southeastern since it'd be quicker; is more likely to go to the places that people want to go to (London Bridge/Cannon Street) and the frequency is already regular enough. The one thing that is probably needed is connecting Thamesmead in with the wider transport network since its sort of stuck in a weird no mans land which forces people to rely on buses to connect to Abbey Wood and that probably hurts the area. The best way to do that if money was no object would probably be the GOBLIN extension under the Thames to Abbey Wood but that would likely be very expensive since not only would you have another tunnel under the Thames to build but also likely underground stations in Thamesmead and Abbey Wood - there really isn't any more space to expand Abbey Wood station at ground level so you'd have to build underground. The DLR is the other option I guess but I don't see how the costs of that would be much less since you still have to tunnel under the Thames...

A lot of those other South East London services are duplicating National Rail services which isn't something that they need to do at all - because people wouldn't use them since National Rail would likely be quicker and because of that there isn't any reason to change. The only scenarios would be if you had to go somewhere on the Bakerloo Line regularly but that strikes me as being so rare (the one that comes to mind would be Waterloo but the Charing Cross trains all go through Waterloo East anyway). I mean today when there is engineering work I wouldn't mind a second route to do things other than incredibly slow replacement buses but its an expensive solution to that problem!

Established Member
You may be happy to know that the DLR to Romford extension from Beckton already exists, just as the bus routes 173 (between Beckton and Becontree Heath) and 175 (between Dagenham Dock / Chequers and Romford).

During the off peak a journey from Beckton to Romford using the 173/174/175 (with appropriate interchange at Dagenham Heathway) with a good connection can probably take you around 35-40 minutes which isn't bad.

This extension is pure fantasy though as it would involve knocking down far too many houses in an area that otherwise desperately needs it. I would realistically, and would be happy to see, the 175 rerouted to serve and terminate at Dagenham Dock Station rather than continue to Dagenham New Road or failing this, the 173 rerouted the same way 145 already passes Merrielands Crescent but that's for another thread. Struggle to see a little bit why the 145 was chosen to be rerouted there last year as not many people use that route from Dagenham Dock... *

*may be something to do with how ridiculously indirect it is :lol:<D

Status
Not open for further replies.