• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

TFL Freedom Pass Misuse - Usage totalling 20~ times

Status
Not open for further replies.

motangk

Hi all,

I'd like to document and share my experiences of being caught using a relative's freedom pass.

Purpose of this thread:
I am not necessarily looking for advice from contributors, though I always value feedback and comments. I have already been consulted with sensible legal advice and I know what I will be submitting as a response to TfL's Verification Letter next week. This thread is for:
  • Raising awareness of the severity of fare evasion
  • Sharing my experiences of TfL's strict policy on freedom pass misuse
  • Offenders who may find themselves in a similar position
  • Myself - it's therapeutic to write about this experience
Please read the entire thread before commenting. If you do post something, please let it be constructive. I have seen negative / demoralising posts on other threads - not looking for negativity here.

The facts:
  • The stations where you started & finished your journey;
Both stations are in Zone 1. (Not sure how this will help contributors, do challenge if you think otherwise.)

• The stations where you changed trains (if applicable);
N/A

• If you presented a ticket(s), the information stated under "Ticket type", "From", "To", "Route", and any other relevant details;
Freedom Pass

• What happened in any encounter with railway staff;
Plain-clothed inspector with a bodycam next to the ticket barrier stops me. Knows already that I was using a high value pass (somehow he was alerted). I was compliant with the inspector. Questions asked include; origin of pass (freedom pass holder is a relative), how did you come into possession (he gave it to me), start/end of journey, estimated frequency and time period over which the pass was used (only started using the pass recently, did not give a figure), personal details (name, DOB, address), next steps (notified that I will receive a letter). Inspector thanked me for not making any trouble, before I proceeded to leave the underground station.

• The details of any paperwork with which you were issued.
Received a Verification Letter this week.

What I am seeking:
Best case scenario would be a Out Of Court settlement (OOC). Recently got my first job that I love. But my job requires regular DBS checks and I would be dismissed if prosecuted for having avoided fares. I understand and accept that due to the high usage of the freedom pass (20~ journeys across the space of a month), a prosecution is likely.

We will see what happens, I'll keep you updated.

What I have done since the incident:
00. Search about consequences on the internet and panic about impact to family welfare and career prospects

01. Write up a transcript of the events whilst it is fresh in your mind - this will help save time for the lawyer (if you are intending to get one)

02. Read up on TfL's prosecution policy (https://content.tfl.gov.uk/revenue-enforcement-and-prosecutions-policy.pdf) - this will be helpful for your contextual knowledge before you contact a lawyer

03. Calculate how many journeys you may have taken - if possible, by logging into the TfL site and tracking activity for past 2 months, then by estimated usage if used over a prolonged period of time. This will be useful when you start to write your response to the Verification Letter

04. Contact a lawyer - I spoke with a great solicitor at Manak Solicitors. Would recommend. The solicitor was extremely experienced and of high integrity. I paid for an initial consultation and he gave me a lot of good information on how this could play out, from OOC to court day. This solicitor has a high success rate of achieving OOC settlements, but in my case he recommended that I do not pay for further consultations / legal representation. He estimated a success rate of achieving an OOC settlement at 30% as the usage of the freedom pass was high (20~ journeys)

05. Write the apology letter in response to Verification Letter - I was fully advised by the solicitor on how to write it. I've also taken inspiration from other useful threads. I will share the contents in due course, but have not sent it off yet so will hold off for now

06. Evidence for mitigating circumstances (if applicable) - gathering evidence that you can share with TfL's prosecution team

07. Submitting a response to the Verification Letter - in due course (still at step 06)

Lessons along the way:
01. Don't avoid fares
02. You will learn who your true friends are
03. Twitter memes temporarily help with the anxiety

TBC

>>>>>

I have chosen to cooperate with TfL on this matter. I understand the severity of my actions and the likely consequences on my family and personal ambitions. I made 20~ foolish mistakes and I'm fighting to keep my life from falling apart. Mentally I'm in a tough headspace, but I am holding it together. It's difficult to go on with life whilst constantly having this in the back of my mind.

I will be sending off the verification letter response next week and I hope to hear back from TfL by the end of June.

If you have any questions or comments, please do post them below. I'll be looking back at this thread intermittently to share updates and answer any queries.

Wishing you a great Queen's Jubilee Weekend,

AH

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Fawkes Cat

Established Member
Thanks for sharing your experience. If you can carry on telling us what happens that would be interesting (we’re a nosy bunch) and useful (if someone else comes along with a similar problem it will help us in giving advice based on what actually happens).

Bensonby

Plain-clothed with a bodycam next to the ticket barrier stops me. Knows already that I was using a high value pass (somehow he was alerted).

There is a light on the barrier that illuminates if a high-value Oyster card is being used. When monitoring gate lines the revenue inspectors will typically zone in on such Oyster card users for obvious reasons. I legitimately have a concessionary Oyster card and have been stopped numerous times, which I’m perfectly happy about.

DerelictLine

There is a light on the barrier that illuminates if a high-value Oyster card is being used. When monitoring gate lines the revenue inspectors will typically zone in on such Oyster card users for obvious reasons. I legitimately have a concessionary Oyster card and have been stopped numerous times, which I’m perfectly happy about.
Yes, they can set the lights to illuminate when certain cards get used, for example freedom passes, child tickets etc.

Fare Dodgers: At War With The Law Episode 4 showcases this.

Last edited by a moderator:

Delilah1

Hi all,

I'd like to document and share my experiences of being caught using a relative's freedom pass.

Purpose of this thread:
I am not necessarily looking for advice from contributors, though I always value feedback and comments. I have already been consulted with sensible legal advice and I know what I will be submitting as a response to TfL's Verification Letter next week. This thread is for:
  • The benefit of future offenders who may find themselves in a similar position
Please read the entire thread before commenting. If you do post something, please let it be constructive. I have seen negative / demoralising posts on other threads - not looking for negativity here.

The facts:
Both stations are in Zone 1. (Not sure how this will help contributors, do challenge if you think otherwise.)

N/A

• If you presented a ticket(s), the information stated under "Ticket type", "From", "To", "Route", and any other relevant details;
Freedom Pass

Plain-clothed inspector with a bodycam next to the ticket barrier stops me. Knows already that I was using a high value pass (somehow he was alerted). I was compliant with the inspector. Questions asked include; origin of pass (freedom pass holder is a relative), how did you come into possession (he gave it to me), start/end of journey, estimated frequency and time period over which the pass was used (only started using the pass recently, did not give a figure), personal details (name, DOB, address), next steps (notified that I will receive a letter). Inspector thanked me for not making any trouble, before I proceeded to leave the underground station.

What I am seeking:
Best case scenario would be a Out Of Court settlement (OOC). Recently got my first job that I love. But my job requires regular DBS checks and I would be dismissed if prosecuted for having avoided fares. I understand and accept that due to the high usage of the freedom pass (20~ journeys across the space of a month), a prosecution is likely.

00. Search about consequences on the internet and panic about impact to family welfare and career prospects

01. Write up a transcript of the events whilst it is fresh in your mind - this will help save time for the lawyer (if you are intending to get one)

02. Read up on TfL's prosecution policy (https://content.tfl.gov.uk/revenue-enforcement-and-prosecutions-policy.pdf) - this will be helpful for your contextual knowledge before you contact a lawyer

03. Calculate how many journeys you may have taken - if possible, by logging into the TfL site and tracking activity for past 2 months, then by estimated usage if used over a prolonged period of time. This will be useful when you start to write your response to the Verification Letter

04. Contact a lawyer - I spoke with a great solicitor at Manak Solicitors. Would recommend. The solicitor was extremely experienced and of high integrity. I paid for an initial consultation and he gave me a lot of good information on how this could play out, from OOC to court day. This solicitor has a high success rate of achieving OOC settlements, but in my case he recommended that I do not pay for further consultations / legal representation. He estimated a success rate of achieving an OOC settlement at 30% as the usage of the freedom pass was high (20~ journeys)

05. Write the apology letter in response to Verification Letter - I was fully advised by the solicitor on how to write it. I've also taken inspiration from other useful threads. I will share the contents in due course, but have not sent it off yet so will hold off for now

06. Evidence for mitigating circumstances (if applicable) - gathering evidence that you can share with TfL's prosecution team

07. Submitting a response to the Verification Letter - in due course (still at step 06)

Lessons along the way:
01. Don't avoid fares

TBC

>>>>>

I have chosen to cooperate with TfL on this matter. I understand the severity of my actions and the likely consequences on my family and personal ambitions. I made 20~ foolish mistakes and I'm fighting to keep my life from falling apart. Mentally I'm in a tough headspace, but I am holding it together. It's difficult to go on with life whilst constantly having this in the back of my mind.

I will be sending off the verification letter response next week and I hope to hear back from TfL by the end of June.

If you have any questions or comments, please do post them below. I'll be looking back at this thread intermittently to share updates and answer any queries.

AH
hey, I am in a similar issue but it was on a bus and also it was because my card didnt tap properly, i wrote up a draft letter if you do not mind reading, cant really afford a solicitor at this point so any help is great help

no12no

What is the update and how did you manage out of this situation? please update

Hi all,

Purpose of this thread:
  • The benefit of future offenders who may find themselves in a similar position

The facts:

N/A

Freedom Pass

What I am seeking:

Lessons along the way:
01. Don't avoid fares

TBC

>>>>>

AH
please advice on how you solved this matter

motangk

hey, I am in a similar issue but it was on a bus and also it was because my card didnt tap properly, i wrote up a draft letter if you do not mind reading, cant really afford a solicitor at this point so any help is great help
Thanks for your message. Unfortunately I am not in a position to share feedback on your letter. I know you cannot afford it, but I would suggest contacting a solicitor, even for an initial conversation as your response can have legal repercussions. I wish you luck on your case.

motangk

I do not have an update on my case. I shared my response with TFL but they are yet to respond.

no12no

I do not have an update on my case. I shared my response with TFL but they are yet to respond.
Are you able to share your email reply that you sent them? I would really appreciate your advice.

did you manage to write a response letter? can you please share

BJames

Established Member

If you are affected by a similar situation, please start a new thread and members will be able to offer further advice.

Wolfie

Established Member
Hi all,

Purpose of this thread:
  • Offenders who may find themselves in a similar position

The facts:

N/A

Freedom Pass

What I am seeking:

Lessons along the way:
01. Don't avoid fares

TBC

>>>>>

AH
The only comment l would offer is that if your relative knowingly let you use their Freedom Pass and you advised TfL of that fact they could well be in trouble also and quite possibly will be denied such a Pass in future.

Status
Not open for further replies.