• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

TFL Rail - Reason for continued reduction in service in West (Paddington) compared to East (Liverpool Street)

Status
Not open for further replies.

itfcfan

The reductions in service due to Covid-19 are understandable. However, the TFL have said they've returned to a "Saturday" level of service across their network. It seems TFL Rail (West) services from Paddington have not reached Saturday levels while TFL Rail (East) services from Liverpool Street have. This is not a complaint!

I'm interested to understand what the reasons behind this are?
  • Is this continued reduction to allow continued testing to of class 345s to Heathrow?
  • Is it a restriction due to lack of trains or drivers?
  • Is it demand related (i.e. TFL see less demand on TFL Rail West)?

To clarify, I'm comparing the following services:

Liverpool Street - Maryland (- Shenfield)
https://traintimes.org.uk/lst/myl?changes=0
Currently 6tph to Shenfield (checking this afternoon - a weekday off-peak). I believe this is the pre-covid normal level.

Paddington - West Ealing (- Hayes & Harlington / Heathrow)
https://traintimes.org.uk/pad/wea?changes=0
Currently 2tph to Heathrow (checking this afternoon - a weekday off-peak). Normal pre-covid levels would be 4tph (2x Heathrow, 2x Hayes & Harlington terminators)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ANDREW_D_WEBB

Outside of the peaks the demand is not there. Spent time at Hanwell this morning, very few passengers.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
The reductions in service due to Covid-19 are understandable. However, the TFL have said they've returned to a "Saturday" level of service across their network. It seems TFL Rail (West) services from Paddington have not reached Saturday levels while TFL Rail (East) services from Liverpool Street have. This is not a complaint!

I'm interested to understand what the reasons behind this are?
  • Is this continued reduction to allow continued testing to of class 345s to Heathrow?
  • Is it a restriction due to lack of trains or drivers?
  • Is it demand related (i.e. TFL see less demand on TFL Rail West)?

In theory, on the west side, TfL Rail should be running 4tph to Heathrow Terminal 4 now (from 18 May) and 2tph to Reading (4tph peaks). They are running the full service to Reading and half-hourly to Heathrow.

Heathrow Terminal 4 is shut which means they can't run services there and are instead running to Terminal 5.

They are still using 360s on the Heathrow services as 345s can't yet be used. They only have enough 360s to run half-hourly and have to take Heathrow Express into account when planning platform occupancy.

It appears that they have chosen not to run Hayes shuttles.

As you note, there is still daily empty 345 running to Heathrow.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Entirely demand related.

Are you indicating that TfL Rail could already be running 9-car 345s to Heathrow every 15 minutes if they wanted to but are keeping the 360s on because they more closely match demand?

matt_world2004

Established Member
There are station capacity issues at Hayes because only one entrance at station road is open. This means passengers for three in service platforms are having to enter and exit using one tiny stairwell . So they probably want to avoid trains terminating at Hayes and large amounts of passengers getting the 140 outside

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Are you indicating that TfL Rail could already be running 9-car 345s to Heathrow every 15 minutes if they wanted to but are keeping the 360s on because they more closely match demand?

Ah. I didn’t read your post. Apologies.

However yours might need to be amended very soon!

itfcfan

Ah. I didn’t read your post. Apologies.

However yours might need to be amended very soon!

That sounds hopeful(!) Are the barriers to class 345 running to Heathrow the kinds of things that could be removed within days or are we still a week or more away from that being likely?

ValleyLines142

Established Member
There are station capacity issues at Hayes because only one entrance at station road is open. This means passengers for three in service platforms are having to enter and exit using one tiny stairwell . So they probably want to avoid trains terminating at Hayes and large amounts of passengers getting the 140 outside

The 140 doesn't run to Heathrow anymore.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
That sounds hopeful(!) Are the barriers to class 345 running to Heathrow the kinds of things that could be removed within days or are we still a week or more away from that being likely?
There’s a whole thread somewhere which has mainly been discussing the problems with Heathrow Branch signalling for 345s. It’s been running for years, but approval is supposed to be imminent:

Last edited:

matt_world2004

Established Member
Citymapper has a full service running from Saturday although returning to terminal 4 instead of terminal 5 so it might be the updated timetable hasn't been included yet

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Citymapper has a full service running from Saturday although returning to terminal 4 instead of terminal 5 so it might be the updated timetable hasn't been included yet

Still only half-hourly though.

Presumably that will change if Terminal 4 isn't open.

Lewlew

Showing as every 15 minutes my end at XX: 10, XX:24,XX:40,XX:54 past the hour from Hayes to terminal 4
National Rail are saying that timetables from Saturday 30th may not be available and subject to change. Citymapper are good but won't always get all the information from TOCs.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200528-170009_National Rail.png
    Screenshot_20200528-170009_National Rail.png
    562.5 KB · Views: 23

itfcfan

Showing as every 15 minutes my end at XX: 10, XX:24,XX:40,XX:54 past the hour from Hayes to terminal 4

This timetable has been in the system since 18th May but before the start of each week the "WTT" entries have been updated to "VAR" entries (using realtimetrains.co.uk as a guide) which only provide 2tph. Hopefully this will change soon and the 4tph will actually take effect, but the timetable shown for future weeks can't be relied on for the moment.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Looks like the timetables have now been switched to indicate that 360s and 2tph continue (ie the empty workings for the three Heathrow diagrams come from Heathrow Express depot rather than the Crossrail depot) for the next week.

Presumably this process will continue each week until they are ready to run 345s.

At the moment, Heathrow Express and TfL Rail are each running 2tph to Heathrow Terminal 5 and Heathrow Terminal 4 is shut. TfL Rail are running with a 16 minute dwell at Heathrow Terminal 5 and Heathrow Express a 26 minute dwell. With those timetables, and only one Airport terminal station open, there doesn't appear to be any scope to get a 4tph TfL Rail service to the Airport.

coppercapped

Established Member
Looks like the timetables have now been switched to indicate that 360s and 2tph continue (ie the empty workings for the three Heathrow diagrams come from Heathrow Express depot rather than the Crossrail depot) for the next week.

Presumably this process will continue each week until they are ready to run 345s.

At the moment, Heathrow Express and TfL Rail are each running 2tph to Heathrow Terminal 5 and Heathrow Terminal 4 is shut. TfL Rail are running with a 16 minute dwell at Heathrow Terminal 5 and Heathrow Express a 26 minute dwell. With those timetables, and only one Airport terminal station open, there doesn't appear to be any scope to get a 4tph TfL Rail service to the Airport.
There is probably no need. I've just had a quick look at Flightradar24.com and I see two aircraft on finals (one of which is a A319 from Bournemouth obviously on a positioning flight (ECS is railway-speak!)) and one which took off about 10 minutes ago for Vancouver and then nothing else.
More than four trains per hour would be excessive.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
There is probably no need. I've just had a quick look at Flightradar24.com and I see two aircraft on finals (one of which is a A319 from Bournemouth obviously on a positioning flight (ECS is railway-speak!)) and one which took off about 10 minutes ago for Vancouver and then nothing else.

That Vancouver flight just went over my house, making quite a lot of noise for a Dreamliner.

TFN

If they are ready to start running the 345s, wouldn't it make more sense to just run the existing 2tph using 345s until demand rises again and just withdraw the 360s? The 360s are already failing every other day at this point.

JonathanH

Veteran Member

I think you are probably right. I think the concern from the OP is that there is only 2tph at Acton Main Line, West Ealing and Hanwell because there aren't Hayes shuttles in addition to the Heathrow servuce

The 360s are already failing every other day at this point.

Not sure that is true - while there were quite a few cancellations the week before last I can only find two this week on RTT.

AlanFry1

Probably as the GEML is busier by far than those served by TFL rail on the GWML? And w Heathrow not having much in the way of traffic atm, it's not a surprise

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Interestingly, TfL Rail have run extra one peak service into Paddington from Hayes & Harlington bay at 0619 this week - it seemingly runs empty from Old Oak Depot, does one trip into Paddington and then goes onto the depot.

Before anyone gets excited about this being the first 345 in passenger service service from Heathrow, the fact there is an empty stock working from Old Oak Depot and it ran from platform 5 at Hayes & Harlington is a giveaway that the Heathrow times in the second link are false.

https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/F00021/2020-06-01/detailed
https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/25764/2020-06-01/detailed
https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/25765/2020-06-01/detailed

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
I think you are probably right. I think the concern from the OP is that there is only 2tph at Acton Main Line, West Ealing and Hanwell because there aren't Hayes shuttles in addition to the Heathrow servuce

Not sure that is true - while there were quite a few cancellations the week before last I can only find two this week on RTT.

Yes this is the main issue - nothing to do with the airport but the intermediate suburban stops served by the ex-Heathrow Connect. Demand is probably light enough though.

matt_world2004

Established Member
The XX:18, XX:48 Hayes and Harlington to Paddington service seemed to have been reinstated today do not know if this was planned or a temporary measure because of cracks in the tunnel at Heathrow airport

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
The XX:18, XX:48 Hayes and Harlington to Paddington service seemed to have been reinstated today do not know if this was planned or a temporary measure because of cracks in the tunnel at Heathrow airport

It’s not cracks in the tunnel!

Status
Not open for further replies.