• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

TfL Refund Vouchers

Status
Not open for further replies.

maniacmartin

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Hi,

Living on the Jubilee line, I get a fair few TfL/LUL Customer Charter refund vouchers. In the past I have torn along the perforated tear line that seperates the voucher from the apology letter and taken the voucher to a ticket office without any problems.

Recently, I was with a friend who was trying to topup his PAYG Oyster balance with one of these, and was told by the staff member that they should be presented with the letter, perforation intact, and he processed it with reluctance but insisted that in future the vouchers were brought with the letter intact.

Does anyone know the official policy on this? I don't have one in front of me but as far as I recall, the letters and vouchers I have received make no mention of having to present the letter.

On a side note, are RTVs and TfL refund vouchers transferrable?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

transportphoto

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
You can use RTV's at LUL offices for use to purchase tickets that can be used on National Rail (travelcards, PAYGO & joint LUL/NR tickets for use within the NSE area etc) but not the other way around AFAIAA

Hope this Helps,

TP

maniacmartin

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Thanks transportphoto. What I meant by 'transferrable' is if I make a claim and get given a voucher, can I give it to a friend to use?

island

Veteran Member
I think it's against the rules, but is unlikely to be enforced.

IanD

Established Member
There's nothing on the National Rail RTV that says who it is issued to. I think the last TfL voucher I had specifically stated that you could pass it on to someone else (haven't had one for ages so could be misremembering!) and I didn't have a problem using one that was sent to my partner. My partner buys her oyster travelcard online and very rarely travels beyond her zones with it so the vouchers are not much use to her.

As to perforations, the National rail vouchers state that you should tear along the perforations before presentation. Can't see why the TfL ones should be any different. I've always done this and had no complaints so if it is a requiremnt not to do so it's a recent innovation.

Last edited:

DaveNewcastle

Established Member
I regret that I don't appear to have access to TfL's conditions on their Travel Vouchers (but I believe that there are a few others on here who may be able to confirm my expectation).
The corresponding regulations to Rail Travel Vouchers (RTVs) on the mainlines do not explictly state that they are non transferable. The reason for me expecting that the same lack of prohibition is simple:
The Voucher is a token of a monetary value and not a ticket to travel. That's a monetary value which can be used to buy a rail ticket.
The ticketing regulations quite clearly restrict the ticket-holder from transferring a ticket to another person.
There is no need to restrict the transfer of an RTV any more than the transfer of money (while the ticketing regulations are concurrently restricting the transfer of tickets).

Its the ticket, once bought with money or with an RTV, that cannot be transferred. The money or RTV can be transferred.

This reply is without confirmation from any rail operator and such confirmation will be as reliable as any rail service. (Usually excellent, and occassionally quite spectacularly not).

transportphoto

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
National Rail RTVs for definite are not transferable - they should be issued to a named person, this name is usually printed on to the voucher. Along with the fact that they are not valid if altered, damaged or transferred (etc)

The corresponding regulations to Rail Travel Vouchers (RTVs) on the mainlines do not explictly state that they are non transferable. The reason for me expecting that the same lack of prohibition is simple:

Unless it has changed since the last one I had a few months back, it was quite clearly made out on the voucher's reverse that it was not transferable, may even have been on the front.

TP

IanD

Established Member
Just dug a East Coast RTV out and it does say 'Not Transferrable' on the front (amended previous post to reflect this) but it definitely has no name printed on it anywhere.

Established Member
I was going to say I've never seen a name printed on it. I have also used a Voucher that was issued to someone else, who would not be using it due to being out of the country. Suffice to say the booking office did not care.

Wolfie

Established Member
Hi,

Living on the Jubilee line, I get a fair few TfL/LUL Customer Charter refund vouchers. In the past I have torn along the perforated tear line that seperates the voucher from the apology letter and taken the voucher to a ticket office without any problems.

Recently, I was with a friend who was trying to topup his PAYG Oyster balance with one of these, and was told by the staff member that they should be presented with the letter, perforation intact, and he processed it with reluctance but insisted that in future the vouchers were brought with the letter intact.

Does anyone know the official policy on this? I don't have one in front of me but as far as I recall, the letters and vouchers I have received make no mention of having to present the letter.

On a side note, are RTVs and TfL refund vouchers transferrable?

The TfL vouchers are actually LUL vouchers! They can be used for any journey which includes an element of LUL travel (I normally use them towards my annual [paper] Travelcard).

I have NEVER kept the letter and have never had any problems - if they wish the letter to be retained then it should say so!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.