• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

TFL Staff card question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wiggler

Hello

My partner just started working for a London bus operator and got her staff oyster card today.

We however live in Grays, which is out outside the oyster 1-9 zones system so we assume her pass won't let her out as Grays is like Watford junction and it's own lettered zone.

What's the beat cheapest ticket she can buy for her commute to work?

Would it be to load some kinda of Grays to zone 6 ticket or something? And would this be paper or added to her oyster card?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Deerfold

Veteran Member
TfL Staff Oyster cards are only valid on selected routes by train.

This includes the line to Watford.

I believe the nearest station to Grays where it would be valid is Upminster.

Your Partner should have received a page of Conditions of use which lists the rail services that is it valid on.

RJ

Established Member
Hello

My partner just started working for a London bus operator and got her staff oyster card today.

We however live in Grays, which is out outside the oyster 1-9 zones system so we assume her pass won't let her out as Grays is like Watford junction and it's own lettered zone.

What's the beat cheapest ticket she can buy for her commute to work?

Would it be to load some kinda of Grays to zone 6 ticket or something? And would this be paper or added to her oyster card?

The Bus Operator card is only valid on TfL services - that is, buses, trams, the DLR, Overground and London Underground, plus discounts on Thames Clippers and chairlifts. It is not valid on any NR service, not even those that parallel Underground services. You can use it on District Line services from Upminster, but not c2c services. The pass is actually valid at Watford Junction, but only on London Overground services.

It will most certainly not work at Grays station as it is not valid on any services from there. The TfL site contains no information of any relevance for bus operator passes.

A bus operator and TfL Staff pass are not the same thing, so disregard any advice suggesting that a bus operator pass can be used on any NR service - except London Overground! If you try to use it at a NR station, an error code will come up. Bit of a nuisance at stations like Euston NR and New Cross which are not managed by TfL!

No bus operators to my knowledge issue Privilege Train Operating Company passes to their employees as buses are an entirely different entity.

Deerfold

Veteran Member
A bus operator and TfL Staff pass are not the same thing, so disregard any advice suggesting that a bus operator pass can be used on any NR service - except London Overground! If you try to use it at a NR station, an error code will come up. Bit of a nuisance at stations like Euston NR and New Cross which are not managed by TfL!

Indeed - this is why I qualified my advice to check the terms that (should have) come with the card.

Wiggler

The Bus Operator card is only valid on TfL services - that is, buses, trams, the DLR, Overground and London Underground, plus discounts on Thames Clippers and chairlifts. It is not valid on any NR service, not even those that parallel Underground services. You can use it on District Line services from Upminster, but not c2c services. The pass is actually valid at Watford Junction, but only on London Overground services.

It will most certainly not work at Grays station as it is not valid on any services from there. The TfL site contains no information of any relevance for bus operator passes.

No bus operators to my knowledge issue Privilege Train Operating Company passes to their employees as buses are an entirely different entity.

Thank you for this :)

Sent from my SK17i using Tapatalk 2

notadriver

Established Member
If you work for a bus company owned by the go ahead group such as London General or Metrobus you can get an annual pass for £50 which gives you travel on Southeastern, Southern and London Midland.

The question is should bus drivers working for tfl get the priv card that other tfl employees (such as Lorol) get?

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
The question is should bus drivers working for tfl get the priv card that other tfl employees (such as Lorol) get?
As far as I am aware there are no bus drivers who still work for TfL since the sell off of East Thames Buses a few years back, unless you count Dial a Ride drivers.

The Priv card (PTAC) is only available to staff who started work with London Transport, London Underground, or their predecessors, before April 1996, or Lorol staff who get a Toc-NE Priv.

TfL or London Underground staff who started since then are only entitled to free travel on TfL Rail, Bus and 6 National Rail routes.

Mutant Lemming

Established Member

The drivers don't actually work for TfL but a contractor that can (and often does) change. Many working for the major companies (arriva, first etc) get travel concessions on their compnay's services throughout the country as a 'perk'.

Status
Not open for further replies.