• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

TfL to take over the woolwich ferry

Status
Not open for further replies.

matt_world2004

Established Member
https://www.london.gov.uk/press-releases/mayoral/tfl-set-to-take-over-the-woolwich-ferry
The Mayor asked TfL to review its options as the expiry of the current contract approached

TfL and Briggs Marine have agreed a short-term extension to the contract while it moves towards taking over the service by the end of the year

• Passengers set to benefit from better reliability and customer service

Transport for London (TfL) has confirmed its intention to take over the operation and maintenance of the Woolwich Ferry to improve the service. The plans mean passengers will benefit from an increased focus on reliability and customer service.

The Mayor of London, Sadiq Khan, asked TfL to review its options for the management of the ferry ahead of Briggs Marine Ltd (Briggs Marine)’s current contract expiring on 31 March 2020. TfL concluded that taking the operation and maintenance in-house would ensure a higher level of control, and by using its experience and resources from across the organisation it would improve the customer experience.

The transition to an in-house operation is expected to complete by the end of the year, after the necessary preparation and employee consultation has concluded. Briggs Marine and TfL have agreed to a short contract extension to help support a smooth transition.

The Mayor of London, Sadiq Khan, said: “The Woolwich Ferry is an important part of London’s transport network, and I share passengers’ frustration at the unacceptable closures they have faced over the past year. I am delighted that TfL is set to take over the contract – bringing a renewed focus on Londoners’ needs including better reliability and customer service.”

Jonathan Fox, Director of Rail & Sponsored Services, said: “Taking the operation of the Woolwich Ferry in-house will increase the focus on its performance, ultimately delivering an improved experience for our customers. We would like to thank Briggs Marine for running this operation over the years, and particularly for supporting us through the upcoming transition period.”

Sounds more like a DOR type operation rather than a contract.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

John Webb

Established Member
When the LCC set up the Woolwich Free Ferry and inaugurated its operation on the 23rd March 1889, it was always an 'In House' operation. As far as I am aware it was still run that way when I moved from Woolwich in 1977. Out of curiosity at what point was the operation contracted out?

matt_world2004

Established Member
When the LCC set up the Woolwich Free Ferry and inaugurated its operation on the 23rd March 1889, it was always an 'In House' operation. As far as I am aware it was still run that way when I moved from Woolwich in 1977. Out of curiosity at what point was the operation contracted out?
It was run by the London borough of Greenwich until 2008 on behalf of TfL it was then contracted out to serco.

John Webb

Established Member
It was run by the London borough of Greenwich until 2008 on behalf of TfL it was then contracted out to serco.
Thanks - I was aware Greenwich had taken it over on the formation of the GLC, but by 2008 I no longer had relatives in the area so lost contact with local news from there.

Status
Not open for further replies.