• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

TFL Travelcard and Capping Changes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Muzer

Established Member
So, to summarize, the off-peak day travelcards including Z1-6 are being withdrawn, and we all need to buy Epsom to London travelcards now to get the best deal? Will these also have the advantage of being valid in the peaks (obviously the actual travelcard part, I mean)?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

RJ

Established Member
So, to summarize, the off-peak day travelcards including Z1-6 are being withdrawn, and we all need to buy Epsom to London travelcards now to get the best deal? Will these also have the advantage of being valid in the peaks (obviously the actual travelcard part, I mean)?

The Off Peak Z1-6 Travelcard is not being withdrawn - the price is increasing to £12.

It's the Off Peak cap for Oyster/contactless that is being withdrawn and replaced with an all day cap. This is £11.90 for Zones 1-6.

You are correct about the Epsom Travelcard.

anme

Established Member
Yes it is - I can't think of much else that has shot up by 25% lately. If the price of a cheap loaf in Tesco went up from 45p to 56p, you'd go to Aldi instead, wouldn't you?

Given that I've got good alternatives like cycling (free and not that much slower door to door than the train) or car (the cost in petrol is now quite a bit lower than the travelcard price) I certainly will vote with my feet...

To be honest, I don't think I would change my shopping habits for the sake of 11p.

Cycling can be a good alternative, but please don't drive into London. It's not pleasant for other people in the city to have cars around.

Last edited:

talldave

Established Member

Could you clarify what you were asking here? ie: An Off Peak Travelcard cannot be used before 09.30?

RJ

Established Member
Could you clarify what you were asking here? ie: An Off Peak Travelcard cannot be used before 09.30?

It depends on the restriction code. Some inboundary Travelcards are valid to use before 0930. Some outboundary cards are too - the Epsom Travelcard is valid on the 0914 to Victoria, which passes a few stations in the zones before 0930.

talldave

Established Member
Ok thanks. I'd be using an Epsom Travelcard from Gatwick with a Gatwick-BZ6 return. I'm sure that would start an argument about the "Southern only" restriction on the Travelcard as far as Gatwick Express usage goes, but inside the zones that argument is presumably irrelevant?

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
A Southerrn-Only Travelcard is only restricted to Southern when you're outside the zones. Inside the zones it is valid on all TOC services. You should be fine on GatEx with that combination.

Deerfold

Veteran Member
Dont cycle in London unless you have a death wish!

Care to elaborate on that? There's many people manage it every day without harm.

Obviously it's riskier than a little trip through the local park on cycle paths - but so is driving or getting the bus.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member

I suspect you've been misled by the ambiguous thread title. It was wrong from the word go...

Shimbleshanks

To be honest, I don't think I would change my shopping habits for the sake of 11p.

Cycling can be a good alternative, but please don't drive into London. It's not pleasant for other people in the city to have cars around.

Tell the instigators of this plan, not me...

radamfi

Established Member
Another option to save money is to catch the bus as far as Zone 4, 3 or even Zone 2. The Z12 and Z123 caps will go down in price, even off-peak.

Muzer

Established Member
Apologies - I was indeed a little confused. My fault for skim-reading!

Still strange that an outboundary travelcard is cheaper than an inbounday one though.

bicbasher

Established Member
Another option to save money is to catch the bus as far as Zone 4, 3 or even Zone 2. The Z12 and Z123 caps will go down in price, even off-peak.

Can see that happening to stations nearby either in Z3 or Z3/4. Anerley to Crystal Palace is a short walk or bus ride away. Penge West to Crystal Palace or Sydenham is also nearby. Same with Penge East and Sydenham.

paul1609

Established Member
Ok thanks. I'd be using an Epsom Travelcard from Gatwick with a Gatwick-BZ6 return. I'm sure that would start an argument about the "Southern only" restriction on the Travelcard as far as Gatwick Express usage goes, but inside the zones that argument is presumably irrelevant?

Epsom is going to be either in Zone 6 or 7 from the start of the new Southern franchise so its only a short term issue anyway.

Starmill

Veteran Member
Fares Advisor
I'm sorry?

It is not pleasant for anyone anywhere to have cars around, is it? In many places, there is no choice because the quality and usability of public transport is too low. It's breathtakingly naive to ask someone not to drive their car into London on a purely altruistic basis because: a) if someone drives a car, no matter where, no matter when, they will damage the environment and degrade, by at least some magnitude, the 'pleasantness' of where they are driving it, and b) if it is government policy to increase the price of public transport (check) and reduce the price of driving (check) - what do you think will start to happen?

anme

Established Member
It is not pleasant for anyone anywhere to have cars around, is it? In many places, there is no choice because the quality and usability of public transport is too low. It's breathtakingly naive to ask someone not to drive their car into London on a purely altruistic basis because: a) if someone drives a car, no matter where, no matter when, they will damage the environment and degrade, by at least some magnitude, the 'pleasantness' of where they are driving it, and b) if it is government policy to increase the price of public transport (check) and reduce the price of driving (check) - what do you think will start to happen?

I think that's a massive cop out. Drivers need to take some personal responsibility and stop blaming other people for the damage and misery they cause. There are some acceptable reasons to drive into London, but anger with Boris Johnson, even if justified, is not an acceptable excuse, and neither is some minor (and questionable) penny pinching.

Anyway, let's end the discussion here. We're veering rather off topic.

Last edited:

RJ

Established Member
For the ticket sellers among us, ATOC have sent out a comprehensive, but very nicely written brief on the changes to ticketing within London. It contains issuing instructions for One Day Bus & Tram passes and Group Travelcard, as well as clarifies what the situation is with stock and the like. Common orange stock for both, though the computer seems to want something else.

Very useful indeed :)

CyrusWuff

Established Member
For the ticket sellers among us, ATOC have sent out a comprehensive, but very nicely written brief on the changes to ticketing within London. It contains issuing instructions for One Day Bus & Tram passes and Group Travelcard, as well as clarifies what the situation is with stock and the like. Common orange stock for both, though the computer seems to want something else.

Tried printing one of the new Bus & Tram passes earlier in the week and the print layout is still configured for pre-printed stock from when they were last available from NR Ticket Offices.

I'd assume the Group Day Travelcards are the same, despite it being a different product to the current Group Day Ticket.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Tried printing one of the new Bus & Tram passes earlier in the week and the print layout is still configured for pre-printed stock from when they were last available from NR Ticket Offices.

I'd assume the Group Day Travelcards are the same, despite it being a different product to the current Group Day Ticket.

Life was much simpler with the Red Rover and Twin Rover.:)

GodAtum

On Moderation
no-ones salary in my organisation has increased in the last 2 years, so we all all going to struggle to pay he new prices

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
no-ones salary in my organisation has increased in the last 2 years, so we all all going to struggle to pay he new prices

Yet according to the link in your signature can presumably still afford dining in top restaurants, staying at fancy hotels, and the First class flights? <D

Deerfold

Veteran Member

As someone who works for London Buses we've had no pay rise this year and are unlikely to see one next year - this is largely down to TfL's grant from central government being cut rather severely (and it's expected to fall further) so we have to both cut costs and increase prices.

Yet according to the link in your signature can presumably still afford dining in top restaurants, staying at fancy hotels, and the First class flights? <D

Looking at his blog I can see where the costs are being cut - obviously he's not spending as much on spelling lessons.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.