TfL's timetable: confusing and pointless as it doesn't show the GWR services along the same route

Discussion in 'Allocations, Diagrams & Timetables' started by II, 27 Oct 2019.

1. kevin_roche

kevin_roche Member

Yes it was updated on Friday. I have both versions downloaded.

2. swt_passenger

swt_passenger Veteran Member

I posted that it had been updated on Wednesday, but that’s only when I first noticed it. So has it changed again on Friday?

3. kevin_roche

kevin_roche Member

I meant that I noticed that google had it as being updated on Friday. Sometime google doesn't notice staright away. :)

4. swt_passenger

Oh I see. No problem.

5. kevin_roche

kevin_roche Member

6. MarlowDonkey

MarlowDonkey Member

It remains misleading for Maidenhead and Twyford passengers by not showing the peak Maidenhead fasts. I don't think it shows all the services with first or last stop Slough either.

7. transmanche

transmanche Established Member

I'm still bemused by this claim of the timetable being 'misleading'.
    Elsewhere, if I glance through the TPE North route timetable, it doesn't tell me about LNER and XC trains between Leeds/York and Edinburgh - even when they are faster. It only tells me about TPE services.

So why would you expect a TfL Rail timetable to include GWR services?

[*]OK, with one odd exception: a M-F pre-06:00 Southeastern service between Wandsworth Rd & Clapham High St, earlier than the first LO service.

8. Non Multi

Non Multi Member

It would be a half complete timetable for the GW slow (relief) lines, if it only showed TfL rail's Reading - Paddington services. Outside the peaks the slow lines are shared with GWR services to Didcot. It's rather academic anyway, TfL's timetable is PDF download only, GWR's T10 timetable is the only one that's printed.

9. transmanche

But, as I demonstrated, many other operators publish timetables which only include their own services.

I'm struggling to see why TfL West is a 'special case'.

10. MarlowDonkey

MarlowDonkey Member

For as long as anyone can remember, all the trains that stop at any stations between Paddington and Reading have been on a single timetable. So they've broken the historical continuity as to how the timetables are presented.

11. transmanche

Therefore passengers on that route will just have to get used to the new way of doing things - as passengers on the rest of the network have already.

The TfL Rail timetable is not 'confusing' or 'pointless', merely 'different to what we're used to'.

12. MarlowDonkey

MarlowDonkey Member

That doesn't mean it should be accepted without complaint and expression of opinion that it's incomplete.

13. transmanche

Yes it does: you don't see similar complaints from passengers on the eastern side of TfL Rail. Being brutally honest, the 'complaints' sound more like a toddler's tantrum.

14. Non Multi

Non Multi Member

The Shenfield Metro is self contained on its own lines AIUI. If the western side was the same, then fair enough.

You're arguing that train operators should only print timetables for their own services, even where they share a common route and run alternating services! This isn't the bus industry.

TPE's Cleethorpes-Manchester timetable also shows Northern and EMT's Sheffield-Manchester Piccadilly services. SWR's Reading-Waterloo timetable shows GWR's Gatwick trains that call at Wokingham.

15. Beemax

Beemax Member

I suspect the complaints about timetables will be overtaken by complaints about using metro-style stock instead of 387s for 45 minute journeys between, say, Reading and Ealing Broadway. During some parts of the day a GWR alternative will be available, but during rush hours it will either be TfL or TfL .

16. Martin1504

Martin1504 Member

There will be GWR services all day between rdg and Ealing Broadway (the Didcot services)

17. Beemax

Beemax Member

So how many of these will run between 07.00 -09.00 (Reading to Ealing) or between 16.00 -18.00 (Ealing to Reading) ?

18. cactustwirly

cactustwirly Established Member

None
    But there will still be faster GWR services to Slough, Burnham, Maidenhead and Twyford

19. Martin1504

Martin1504 Member

What are you talking about cactus?? The 2x hourly GWR Didcot to Padd services stop at Reading and Ealing Broadway ALL DAY LONG

20. JonathanH

JonathanH Established Member

21. Martin1504

Martin1504 Member

So then get a non stop Reading to Padd and come back to Ealing Broadway.

22. transmanche

Really? You're basing it on the tracks used? Everyone who might possibly use TfL Rail East knows that GA services don't use the 'electric lines' and everyone who might possibly use TfL Rail West knows that some GWR services use the 'relief lines'? Seriously..?

I can see the argument that you can claim the timetables would be improved by including other operators' services - but to claim they are 'confusing' and 'pointless' is simply nonsense.

23. swt_passenger

Haven’t we already found that the main operator GWR’s paper timetable DOES include the whole service including TfL? And TfL don’t produce a physical paper timetable?

24. MarlowDonkey

MarlowDonkey Member

Is a Reading to Ealing ticket valid via Paddington?

25. JonathanH

No, Reading to Ealing Broadway is routed 'Not via London'.

26. Beemax

Beemax Member

Exactly. So people are going to have to pay more (and fight through the Paddington crowds) to maintain the current level of comfort.

27. JonathanH

Or travel with Contactless and hope that they arrive and depart in the same bit of Paddington - e.g. within the platform 10-14 section, there being nothing in the rules other than a maximum journey time to restrict doubling back.