• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

TfW Class 170's

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Caaardiff

170206 will not be moving for a while. Hear it's being used temporarily for spares on other units as required lots of work to get up to standard

170TurboFan

170206 will not be moving for a while. Hear it's being used temporarily for spares on other units as required lots of work to get up to standard
I remember 206 had quite a few interior pieces missing especially tables when with GA, clearly not maintained well towards the end.

Cambrian359

Will GA be penalised for units not being up to scratch on transfer to TFW? .i ask as I’ve seen people state on here numerous times that at the end of contracts units are supposed to be returned in a certain standard, even if being scrapped(I know the 170s aren’t being scrapped ) but the point being going by accounts on here they have been transferred in a poor state mechanically and cosmetically.

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
As has been mentioned in another thread created due to 170271 being spotted in an unusual location (Leamington) it seems to have been amended to go to Ilford Works instead of running to Canton. However, the schedule seems to have been altered to terminate at Northampton which it did and coded as problem with it's schedule. As there was another schedule set up from Tyseley to Ilford today,. I'm starting to wonder if there was a mix up.

Last edited:

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
As has been mentioned in another thread created due to 150271 being spotted in an unusual location (Leamington) it seems to have been amended to go to Ilford Works instead of running to Canton. However, the schedule seems to have been altered to terminate at Northampton which it did and coded as problem with it's schedule. As there was another schedule set up from Tyseley to Ilford today,. I'm starting to wonder if there was a mix up.

It has now returned from Northampton to Tyseley so this could point to the forementioned error.

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
170271 is having a go to get back to Canton tomorrow. Let's hope there is no foul up this time.

170271 has now left Tyseley for Canton on it's correct route so points to the fact it was never meant to go to Ilford at all

Cardiff123

Established Member
Do this mean that TfW will now have all 12 of the 170s they are owed from GA?
I assume they now have all of the extra 153s they are owed as well (from GA and WMR)?

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
Do this mean that TfW will now have all 12 of the 170s they are owed from GA?
I assume they now have all of the extra 153s they are owed as well (from GA and WMR)?

That was the last of the 170s to arrive although 206 was not in good shape and is now being used as a Xmas tree for the rest of the fleet. I'm not sure about 153321 because it didn't come with the rest of the EMR ones

sd0733

Established Member
That was the last of the 170s to arrive although 206 was not in good shape and is now being used as a Xmas tree for the rest of the fleet. I'm not sure about 153321 because it didn't come with the rest of the EMR ones
I Cant remember whether it went to Landore or Canton now but 321 is definitely in Wales

hwinter

What does 170271 do now? As it is still on GA's contract for the next month, possibility of a return to GA for only a month?

krus_aragon

Established Member
What does 170271 do now? As it is still on GA's contract for the next month, possibility of a return to GA for only a month?
I can't see why it would head to Canton in the first place if GA still wanted it: I assume that they've decided they don't need it any more, and so they let it go.

As for contracts, they may have been released from their contract early, as the owner had a new agreement ready-to-go with TfW, or they may be sub-leasing it for the last few weeks, or any number of contractual shenanigans.

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
I can't see why it would head to Canton in the first place if GA still wanted it: I assume that they've decided they don't need it any more, and so they let it go.

As for contracts, they may have been released from their contract early, as the owner had a new agreement ready-to-go with TfW, or they may be sub-leasing it for the last few weeks, or any number of contractual shenanigans.

All the earlier talk on the Forum pointed to it staying behind with Anglia until the end of January

The 170’s were never planned to stay beyond the end of January and with around 30 755’s in service there is no requirement for the legacy fleet any more.

Caaardiff

With TfW now having 12 170's in the fleet, but only operating Cheltenham/Maesteg & Ebbw Vale, what is their usage like? I'm pretty sure before 271 arrived and with 206 being parked up, there was still slack in the fleet and all the above routes were still pretty much covered by 170's?
Surely it would make sense to start using them on more flexible routes to free up capacity elsewhere. With summer coming up Cardiff - Pembroke Dock would be ideal to better serve Swanline stations and tourist spots in West Wales. I know there's the issue of train crew training and route proving, but with the fleet situation as it is, surely it's in TfW's favour to get the fleets utilised.

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
With TfW now having 12 170's in the fleet, but only operating Cheltenham/Maesteg & Ebbw Vale, what is their usage like? I'm pretty sure before 271 arrived and with 206 being parked up, there was still slack in the fleet and all the above routes were still pretty much covered by 170's?
Surely it would make sense to start using them on more flexible routes to free up capacity elsewhere. With summer coming up Cardiff - Pembroke Dock would be ideal to better serve Swanline stations and tourist spots in West Wales. I know there's the issue of train crew training and route proving, but with the fleet situation as it is, surely it's in TfW's favour to get the fleets utilised.

Reliability hasn't been good, problems with doors and lights, and often there are not enough in service each day to cover the work they have now.

Jez

Established Member
I think Ebbw Vale needs 3 diagrams each day (including the ones that extend to Bridgend) and Maesteg-Cheltenham needs 4 or 5 diagrams (some of these work to/from North Wales so wouldn't be suitable for a 170). So lets say they need 8 diagrams maximum for Ebbw Vale, Maesteg and Cheltenham with 2 booked for maintenance each day that should leave a couple that could be used for West Wales. It would certainly help reduce the need for pacers on West Wales services.

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
I think Ebbw Vale needs 3 diagrams each day (including the ones that extend to Bridgend) and Maesteg-Cheltenham needs 4 or 5 diagrams (some of these work to/from North Wales so wouldn't be suitable for a 170). So lets say they need 8 diagrams maximum for Ebbw Vale, Maesteg and Cheltenham with 2 booked for maintenance each day that should leave a couple that could be used for West Wales. It would certainly help reduce the need for pacers on West Wales services.

They are planned to move to West Wales and Heart of Wales from 2022 onwards

Jez

Established Member
Im aware of the plans for them from 2022 but was just saying if there were a few spare they could start introducing them on some West Wales services to Pembroke Dock and Fishguard and get rid of the pacers sooner. The pacers should have been long gone by now, we have had to put up with them for long enough!

Status
Not open for further replies.