• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

TfW Class 175 interior refurbishment

Status
Not open for further replies.

xc170

A refresh is basically all it is (albeit a very good one!). It’s not like they’ve had new seats or interior panels...

It's not like they need new seats or interior panels, in face, the seats are the one thing Alstom got spot on with these...

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Wow that looks incredible!

I've not had a need to travel on a 175 in quite a while, but when I do (possibly in the next few months) I'll get to try that out. Having on-board power available is going to be a huge bonus, particularly for those long red penning days where the phone has been in use for many hours and no opportunity to charge up before the journey home.

Now I just want to be able to make card payments on the trolley (buying refreshment vouchers from the guard is not something I've ever done or want to do) and I'll be very satisfied!

6Gtraincrew

Now I just want to be able to make card payments on the trolley (buying refreshment vouchers from the guard is not something I've ever done or want to do) and I'll be very satisfied!

You'll be a happy bunny then, 'cos the trolly staff have been able to take card payments for a few months now.

_toommm_

Established Member
You'll be a happy bunny then, 'cos the trolly staff have been able to take card payments for a few months now.

And if the trolley doesn't have a working card machine, the guards are still happy to sell, and the trollies are still happy to accept, the catering vouchers.

craigybagel

Established Member
And if the trolley doesn't have a working card machine, the guards are still happy to sell, and the trollies are still happy to accept, the catering vouchers.

I believe the stewards have been told not to do that any more as of last week.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
That looks slightly dated but really quite nice. I hope they are also fixing panels etc and replacing broken bits of seats, they really are in a poor state at the moment.

I do like dark grey headrests, shame they aren't e-leather though as it stops them getting mucky.

craigybagel

Established Member
That's an improvement, I missed that. Is it still catering vouchers for cash though?

No, you can now pay directly in card for the exact amount you owe. No need to worry about catering vouchers or getting change in cash.

anamyd

On Moderation
Are you reading this Northern?

They do look much better than some of Northern’s ropey refurb attempts (333s excepted). Are those tables slightly too short/curved to sit in the aisle seat and use a laptop comfortably? Other than that, nice job.
The tables themselves are actually the originals just re-trimmed, same with the seats. I know that doesn't actually answer your question.

The same approach is going to be taken with all "old" classes of reusing existing fittings, meaning original fittings in 175s, ATW 2011-2012 refurb fittings in 158s, Wales & West and ATW fittings in 150s/153s, GA fittings in 170s, Thameslink fittings in 769s and VTEC fittings in Mark 4s. Just re-trimmed, re-carpeted, re-painted, etc

Last edited:

anamyd

On Moderation
That looks slightly dated but really quite nice. I hope they are also fixing panels etc and replacing broken bits of seats, they really are in a poor state at the moment.

I do like dark grey headrests, shame they aren't e-leather though as it stops them getting mucky.
I was chatting with a friendly guard about the refurb plans and mentioned the light woodgrain vinyl veneer applied to the tables, and he did sound surprised by that and him and I were saying it was a bit "retro" :p

Techniquest

Veteran Member

Well I'll be, shows how long it's been since I was last on TfW then, although as I type this I can't remember if I've actually travelled with them or if my last run on their network was with ATW...

Thanks for the heads-up!

6Gtraincrew

For those who were asking yesterday, 002 looks like it's on the 6:29 from Picc to Milford Haven

hexagon789

Veteran Member
It's very close to the Abellio look, isn't it? So GA and WMT?

I suppose, I can see something of a similarity but it looks a bit more professional in my opinion, didn't GA get slated for having a refurb where several fixtures were loose?

Phil from Mon

No, you can now pay directly in card for the exact amount you owe. No need to worry about catering vouchers or getting change in cash.
When the machine is working! It wasn’t on Gerald on Wednesday night and I had to pay my bar bill in cash, although it seems they did have a small stock of vouchers left with the guard if I’d not been able to.

craigybagel

Established Member
For those who were asking yesterday, 002 looks like it's on the 6:29 from Picc to Milford Haven

If it stays on that diagram, it'll come back on the 1308 Milford Haven to Manchester, turn go back down again on the 1931 Manchester to Fishguard Harbour.

When the machine is working! It wasn’t on Gerald on Wednesday night and I had to pay my bar bill in cash, although it seems they did have a small stock of vouchers left with the guard if I’d not been able to.

Yes, like all technology they do have their issues. By and large though they've been a great improvement for passengers who want to pay with credit card. Fwiw, the vouchers were never on their own stock, they were simply sold as tickets between two special station codes (J244 to K683) in the same way entrance tickets are sold for various festivals or such like - so there is no limit to how many have been sold. One of the stewards told me they'd been told to no longer accept them but I've not had that confirmed myself.

Last edited:

Phil from Mon

By and large though they've been a great improvement for passengers who want to pay with credit card. Fwiw, the vouchers were never on their own stock, they were simply sold as tickets between two special station codes (J244 to K683) in the same way entrance tickets are sold for various festivals or such like - so there is no limit to how many have been sold. One of the stewards told me they'd been told to no longer accept them but I've not had that confirmed myself.

Interesting, thanks. And yes, a great improvement and not a moment too soon!

Y Ddraig Coch

Established Member

tomwills98

It's on the 13:08 from Milford Haven, the 19:31 from Manchester Picc and then the 02:37 from Fishguard Harbour. A very busy first day

_toommm_

Established Member
It's on the 13:08 from Milford Haven, the 19:31 from Manchester Picc and then the 02:37 from Fishguard Harbour. A very busy first day

Must be a veritable luxury for the passengers of the 19:31 as IME it's always been a 150/2 :(

tomwills98

Must be a veritable luxury for the passengers of the 19:31 as IME it's always been a 150/2 :(

I've never had the experience of a 150/2 to Manchester and my mate assures me it's wonderful /s. 175 availability has been poor to say the least over the last month, but it was a 175/0 all last week. Maybe things are on the up?

6Gman

Established Member
Looks a bit austere to me - and, perhaps more importantly, Mrs 6Gman says the same. Less welcoming and relaxed than the original colour scheme. Might grow on us though ...

Status
Not open for further replies.