• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

TfW Class 175 interior refurbishment

Status
Not open for further replies.

6Gman

Established Member
I've never had the experience of a 150/2 to Manchester and my mate assures me it's wonderful /s. 175 availability has been poor to say the least over the last month, but it was a 175/0 all last week. Maybe things are on the up?

I've done Cardiff - Crewe on a 150/2. Wouldn't say "wonderful" :D but bearable. Had it been a Northern 150 (last cleaned c.2001) I might have waited for the next train ...

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

anamyd

On Moderation
I've done Cardiff - Crewe on a 150/2. Wouldn't say "wonderful" :D but bearable. Had it been a Northern 150 (last cleaned c.2001) I might have waited for the next train ...
I think the /s was like a (!) (sarcasm) :p

supervc-10

I had the misfortune to end up on one from Wolverhampton to Crewe late last night (very delayed Virgin service out of Euston meant I missed the last XC New Street-Manchester service, stayed on the Virgin to Wolverhampton, Virgin paid for a taxi onwards from Crewe).

My god it was tatty. The seat covers were all worn out and falling off, the tables wobbled, and the whole thing looked like the interior hadn't been touched in 30 years.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
The wobbly table/seat thing is because they aren't bolted to the sidewall like they are on most trains, just to the floor. The reason I believe is that it's a floating floor which moves independent of the sidewalls, the reason for this being thick insulation against engine noise.

What I find interesting is that the seats (not I think the tables) on the 80x are similarly only bolted to the floor, but don't wobble about at all. I guess they are just a more rigid structure.

Philip

On Moderation
So has the dynamic retarder brake been sorted out as part of the work or is it still isolated?

Considering the speed they reach I'm surprised the brake pads have been left to do the work on their own for so long.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
So has the dynamic retarder brake been sorted out as part of the work or is it still isolated?

Considering the speed they reach I'm surprised the brake pads have been left to do the work on their own for so long.

Plenty of faster stock (e.g. all LHCS) doesn't have retarders and just uses brake pads to stop from 125mph.

hexagon789

Veteran Member

Afaik it's still isolated as with 180s.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Plenty of faster stock (e.g. all LHCS) doesn't have retarders and just uses brake pads to stop from 125mph.

They have to be able to stop purely on friction brakes within the specified distance anyway, the retarders simply reduce brake pad wear.

Philip

On Moderation

But there must have been a good reason the rather complex system was fitted in the first place, and used for as long as it was.

Who says they're isolated? I've not been on a 175 for a while but pretty sure I've heard the engines rev to dissipate the heat away when I have been on them.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Who says they're isolated? I've not been on a 175 for a while but pretty sure I've heard the engines rev to dissipate the heat away when I have been on them.

It's been well noted on various threads, use lead to overheating issues.

Hydrobrakes get isolated by train crew on 185s when instructed to if they over temp, doesn't mean the whole fleet is disabled. Blast the rads out and move on. No press release required...

Saying that though, I think the 175s have finless radiators anyway.

Last edited:

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
With all respect can we please keep this thread to 175 interior refurbishments before we go too far off topic. Thanks.

craigybagel

Established Member
Must be a veritable luxury for the passengers of the 19:31 as IME it's always been a 150/2 :(

That diagram is booked a 158 on a Saturday which often becomes a 150 it's true. The rest of the week it's rare for anything else to be on it.

Been isolated for years. They don't squeal like the 180s do, they seem to cope alright without.

One thing I am interested in - I've not found it yet if the rather temperamental air-conditioning has been worked on. I was told it couldn't be worked on until a major refurbishment took place given the amount of work that would need doing. I hope they've done something but if not - at least it's still more reliable then what you get on a 158.

JLUK144

I say! They've done a good job in refurbishing the 175s. They look pretty good. It's just a shame some other operators aren't going to the same sorts of lengths in their refurbishments. They can all take lessons from TfW and the company who refurbished them.

sd0733

Established Member
Looks.like 175002 has failed at Abergavenny on a Cardiff-Holyhead this afternoon.

tomwills98

Looks.like 175002 has failed at Abergavenny on a Cardiff-Holyhead this afternoon.

Indeed, off to a perfect start. At least they're on the right train for it, working air con, new seats and plug sockets. Apparently trolley was giving out free tea and biscuits.

anamyd

On Moderation
uh oh! the below-solebar equipment wasn't overhauled to the same extent as the interior then...?

anamyd

On Moderation
Indeed, off to a perfect start. At least they're on the right train for it, working air con, new seats and plug sockets. Apparently trolley was giving out free tea and biscuits.
the seats aren't new, they're the originals retrimmed (and refoamed as necessary). the tables are also the originals retrimmed. the 158s are going to be in the same style but reusing the ATW 2011-2012 refurb fittings as the base (and 150s and 153s with the ex-Wales & West and ATW fittings)

anamyd

On Moderation
312_175Interior2.png

TfW reveal new long-distance Class 175 trains
Transport for Wales (TfW) has revealed their new fleet of Class 175 trains as part of a major investment in Transport for Wales' long-distance trains.

Customers will soon be able to use USB, electric charging points and improved seating as part of the upgrades.

The first completed train rolled off the production line in Alstom's Technology Centre in Widnes, Cheshire this week.

The improvements have been described as a "significant investment" which will greatly improve customer experience.

TfW‘s rail services customer experience director, Colin Lea, said: "It's fantastic to be able to deliver these improvements for customers, which they rightly expect to see on a modern railway network.

"We know being able to travel in comfort and charge devices on the go are incredibly important to our customers, whether they are travelling for 20 minutes or four hours, for business or pleasure.

"While we are investing more than £800 million in brand new trains, they take time to build and we want our customers to have a comfortable experience right now.

"This significant investment is another major step to building a better railway for current and future generations."

175Interior.png

As well as USB and plug sockets, customers will be able to travel on newly covered seats, with new carpet also being installed.

Interior fittings including table covers will be replaced too, while the exterior will be rebranded in TfW colours.

All 27 trains in the Class 175 fleet will receive the investment, which will soon be replicated on other TfW trains.
Just found this :)
http://www.railtechnologymagazine.com/rail-news/tfw-reveals-long-distance-class-175-trains

craigybagel

Established Member
uh oh! the below-solebar equipment wasn't overhauled to the same extent as the interior then...?

Today's incident was just an unfortunate occurance that could have happened to any unit of any design - the part that failed is common to pretty much every train in the world. Very unfortunate that it should have happened to 002 on only it's second day out!

anamyd

On Moderation
Today's incident was just an unfortunate occurance that could have happened to any unit of any design - the part that failed is common to pretty much every train in the world. Very unfortunate that it should have happened to 002 on only it's second day out!
what part is that...?

anamyd

On Moderation
Looks like the light tubes have been changed for white-er ones. Not something I immediately noticed but nicer than the yellow-y ones!

Status
Not open for further replies.