• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

TfW Class 175 interior refurbishment

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I was thinking the lower energy tubes like on the 158s, but you could be right with LEDs

LED "tubes" (a plastic tube containing LEDs with fittings to just drop into a fluorescent type fitting) seem to be being used quite widely on the railway - all of Northern's refurbs for a start, XC 170s too.

anamyd

On Moderation
LED "tubes" (a plastic tube containing LEDs with fittings to just drop into a fluorescent type fitting) seem to be being used quite widely on the railway - all of Northern's refurbs for a start, XC 170s too.
ah yes!

Doomotron

Unpopular opinion: the new interior looks awful. It looks like the IEP interior, which everybody hates, yet for some reason everybody likes this because... Red handrails? I don't know.

Llanigraham

On Moderation
Unpopular opinion: the new interior looks awful. It looks like the IEP interior, which everybody hates, yet for some reason everybody likes this because... Red handrails? I don't know.

Do they?
I've used them a couple of times and thought they were quite pleasant.

NewSt

I beg to differ. The new interior is rather dissimilar to the IET interior anyway, but you also have to take into consideration what you're comparing it to. You are comparing an IET to an HST, and you're never going to win over an HST. In the case of the 175s, you're comparing it to the tatty old Arriva interior, so it's going to seem a lot better.

I travelled on one today (video here:
) and I thought it was a massive step up from the old interiors.

anamyd

On Moderation
I beg to differ. The new interior is rather dissimilar to the IET interior anyway, but you also have to take into consideration what you're comparing it to. You are comparing an IET to an HST, and you're never going to win over an HST. In the case of the 175s, you're comparing it to the tatty old Arriva interior, so it's going to seem a lot better.

that video is much appreciated! will watch it as soon as I get back home :)

NewSt

One minor technicality on the video annotations: the "Arriva" purple was actually put there by First North Western when the units were built. :)

Someone else has also told me that but thanks for letting me know! I'll put the correction in the description.

Doomotron

Do they?
I've used them a couple of times and thought they were quite pleasant.
Wow, you're actually the first person I've ever met who likes the IEP interior.

Is it a step up though? The old interior was so much more colourful and happy - tatty, yes, but much more pleasant. Grey isn't a happy colour. Grey is a boring, depressing, 'giving up at life' colour. For the refurbishment, the seats should have been red to add some colour. I'm just waiting for another Wessex Trains to come along so we get a colourful pink train.

NewSt

Is it a step up though? The old interior was so much more colourful and happy - tatty, yes, but much more pleasant. Grey isn't a happy colour. Grey is a boring, depressing, 'giving up at life' colour. For the refurbishment, the seats should have been red to add some colour. I'm just waiting for another Wessex Trains to come along so we get a colourful pink train.

I think it is a step up overall, but it could definitely be a bit more uplifting, as it is very dull.

hexagon789

Veteran Member

It is, they needed a refurb. Not the best colour scheme ever perhaps but generally it looks so much better than the tattiness before.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Is it a step up though? The old interior was so much more colourful and happy - tatty, yes, but much more pleasant. Grey isn't a happy colour. Grey is a boring, depressing, 'giving up at life' colour.

Or a relaxing, inoffensive one.

To be fair my preference is for deep, rich colours (with dark grey leather effect headrests ideally), I can't think of a single interior scheme I dislike more than washed-out old FirstGroup purple-pink-puke, to be honest, though Dynamic Lines is much, much nicer.

I think it's very much a personal opinion thing, though grey with colour highlighting does seem to be a trend.

FWIW I don't like the GWR IEP interior scheme because of the plain grey seats and the nasty lime green 1980s bus style stripe and handles. Make those British Racing Green and add some British Racing Green highlights to the seats and yes, I'd like it (this is similar to the LNR interior on the 230s which will also be going on other stock). The seats themselves aside of course :D

Last edited:

507 001

Established Member

My Bedroom is predominately grey, and it is most certainly not ‘boring, depressing and giving up at life’.

You would honestly prefer gaudy and tacky purple and pink? Ew.

Welshman

Established Member
Ive been wanting to sample 175002 ever since it came out.
Last night, Mrs W dropped on it by accident!
Travelling back via Crewe on 2030 1V78 Manchester Pic- Cardiff.
"Nice new train from Manchester to Crewe" she said.
Grrr!

anamyd

On Moderation
Ive been wanting to sample 175002 ever since it came out.
Last night, Mrs W dropped on it by accident!
Travelling back via Crewe on 2030 1V78 Manchester Pic- Cardiff.
"Nice new train from Manchester to Crewe" she said.
Grrr!
Annoying!

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Don't the XC 170s have a similar sort of cross-hatch upholstery?
I liked the ATW refurb, it was restful and smart.
But improvements were necessary. Note also the "Wales & Borders" external branding.
I wonder if the PIS has been changed - it never seemed right before, with a weird mixture of bossy warnings within the useful stuff.
Here's the Railway Gazette description with a close-up of the new upholstery:
https://www.railwaygazette.com/news...pletes-first-class-175-dmu-refurbishment.html

It's not on the trains, but the latest TfW abomination is the announcement for Merseyrail trains at Chester.
This is voiced by "Ruth" as usual, but they have intercut "Anne" saying two words ("Merseyrail Electrics") into the message.
It's cut and paste, and you can see/hear the join!

anamyd

On Moderation
Don't the XC 170s have a similar sort of cross-hatch upholstery?
I liked the ATW refurb, it was restful and smart.
But improvements were necessary. Note also the "Wales & Borders" external branding.
I wonder if the PIS has been changed - it never seemed right before, with a weird mixture of bossy warnings within the useful stuff.
Here's the Railway Gazette description with a close-up of the new upholstery:
https://www.railwaygazette.com/news...pletes-first-class-175-dmu-refurbishment.html

It's not on the trains, but the latest TfW abomination is the announcement for Merseyrail trains at Chester.
This is voiced by "Ruth" as usual, but they have intercut "Anne" saying two words ("Merseyrail Electrics") into the message.
It's cut and paste, and you can see/hear the join!
I believe Anne says Northern as well. What was the TOC name recording used for Merseyrail services before...?

Status
Not open for further replies.