• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

TfW Class 398's and Stadler Flirts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mitchell Hurd

On Moderation
Hello everyone. I don't think there's a thread on the other new TfW trains which are the Stadler Citylink tram trains and Stadler Flirts.

Here's a link to the virtual tour of the Stadler Flirts incase anyone isn't aware...

[/URL]

I'm not sure if I'm meant to provide a quote text but the information just says to take a look at the new Metro trains basically. It doesn't show a virtual tour of the 398's although there are photos. I'll provide a link to the 398's in a moment.

Note the seats on the 398's look like they're the Fainsa Sophia types (the ones used for Standard Class on the Class 8xx stock and the new TPE Nova stock).

Personally I think the new stock will be way better than the current provision on the Cardiff City services.

There's just one thing I'm not sure of though - apparently the new trains will have fewer seats. Is there going to be an increased frequency on the Class 398 routes and will these be able to work in 6-car formation (as in 3x2 formation) if need be?

One thing about the 398's I particularly find interesting is the provision of some opening windows which the Class 158's and 159's should have had a good number from new.

Edit: Here's the link for the 398's...

[/URL]

Click on 'Metro Trains', scroll down and click on the 'Take a sneak peek at our new Stadler Citylink Tram trains' (something like it says).

Hope this all helps :).

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
The FLIRTs appear to have FISA LEAN seats, which means they will be markedly superior to the long distance 197s.

The trams appear to have a low-back (or maybe it's just the headrest shape) version of the Fainsa Sophia. Which to be honest probably is a good use for that seat - they are designed for short distance work.

Renders here:

Mitchell Hurd

On Moderation
Which is daft.

There is literally no reason to replace the 175s with a commuter-spec DMU. It doesn't make sense.

The FLIRTS look nice though

Personally I'm sure I'll enjoy the 197's but given the comments, I can see why many people would prefer the Stadler Flirts to be used on the Class 175 routes.

Are the Stadler Flirt seats the same Grammer 3000-type used on the GWR HST's in Standard Class?

Certainly the Flirts have got space written all over these.

Quick question (as I understand the diesel ones will be used on the routes to and from Cheltenham and Maesteg), which side of the train is best to sit on for the sea views I guess between Gloucester and Newport? For example say from Cheltenham or Gloucester to Cardiff or beyond? Since I saw a tweet from someone on XC's Twitter feed quite a while ago now showing the views, I'm aware of fab scenery to be admired.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Are the Stadler Flirt seats the same Grammer 3000-type used on the GWR HST's in Standard Class?

No, they are the FISA LEAN used in the Greater Anglia FLIRTs and First Class on SWR 444s. It's a decent seat similar to the Grammer E3000 "Desiro seat" but not quite as good as the IC3000 "HST seat". Though some might prefer it over the IC3000 as it's not quite as upright.

py_megapixel

Established Member
Personally I'm sure I'll enjoy the 197's but given the comments, I can see why many people would prefer the Stadler Flirts to be used on the Class 175 routes.
I would prefer the 175s to stay to be honest. They're perfectly decent units, well suited to their routes and barely 20 years old. Replacing them is utterly pointless.

On Moderation
I would prefer the 175s to stay to be honest. They're perfectly decent units, well suited to their routes and barely 20 years old. Replacing them is utterly pointless.
They are a maintenance nightmare, though.

Cardiff123

Established Member
py_megapixel said:
Apart from the fact the 175s have a frequent tendency to spontaneously self combust?

And of course they don't have corridor connections making portion working much more difficult

Richard Scott

Established Member

Quick question (as I understand the diesel ones will be used on the routes to and from Cheltenham and Maesteg), which side of the train is best to sit on for the sea views I guess between Gloucester and Newport? For example say from Cheltenham or Gloucester to Cardiff or beyond? Since I saw a tweet from someone on XC's Twitter feed quite a while ago now showing the views, I'm aware of fab scenery to be admired.
Sit on the left side in direction of travel Gloucester to Newport and right in reverse direction.

O L Leigh

Established Member

As has already been said, generally on the left side facing the direction of travel when travelling from Gloucester towards Newport, but if you're prepared to move around you can see other things too.

Approaching Lydney there is a view of the Dean Forest Railway from the right hand side, and you'd also want to be on the right hand side coming into Chepstow in order to get a good view of Chepstow Castle. Alternatively, if you're still on the left you can look down over the side of the River Wye bridge and see the site of the shipyard where the deck sections for the Severn Bridge were built and launched into the river (site now under redevelopment). Then back onto the left with your back to the direction of travel this time for the classic view of the Severn Bridge or continue facing forward to see the newer (uglier) Prince of Wales Bridge.

Once you've got as far as Severn Tunnel Junction you might as well read a book because that section is pretty dull. There is the CAF assembly plant at Llanwern, but it's hidden behind trees that are currently in full leaf. There is a gap that you can see through if you have your back to the direction of travel and you should see pre-painted unfitted bodyshells outside waiting fitting out (currently WMT and TfW). Other than that it's just railway infrastructure and yards around Newport and Cardiff.

Brissle Girl

Established Member
which side of the train is best to sit on for the sea views I guess between Gloucester and Newport? For example say from Cheltenham or Gloucester to Cardiff or beyond?
No sea views along the route, although the River Severn and downstream of the road bridges the Severn Estuary are indeed worth ensuring you are sitting on the east side of the train.

Kyle1

I find it funny that the 756's/231's appear to be better specced than the 197's. Any chance TFW switch some of the 231's and 197's given the Stadler's seem better suited to long distance work?

Bayum

Established Member
If that had been considered a significant risk then why aren't they already out of service? Why weren't replacements ordered immediately?
Look at the 180s ‍♂
Very similar situation, but what else can the operators do?

Moderator note: Just a gentle reminder that this thread is to discuss TfW Class 398's and Stadler Flirts; I have closed this thead for now, but if anyone wishes to add anything regarding the thread title, please contact us.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.