• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

TFW Pacer withdrawals

Status
Not open for further replies.

craigybagel

Established Member
The dispensation letter does not specify that they must work with a PRM unit nor the 153s unlike Northern and EMR units which do. From observations it would appear that TFW are doing it anyway.
It's official policy within TfW now. Whether or not it can be ignored as a last resort (when the only alternative is a cancellation) I don't know.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ValleyLines142

Established Member
A sign regarding the toilets has been placed on the 143s? Not sure whether this is do with COVID or PRM requirements? Says to use another part of the train but obviously 143s can only work with 150s and you can't walk between the two :lol:

Attachments

• 20210105_175851.jpg
    20210105_175851.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 71

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
A sign regarding the toilets has been placed on the 143s? Not sure whether this is do with COVID or PRM requirements? Says to use another part of the train but obviously 143s can only work with 150s and you can't walk between the two :lol:

PRM requirements and to prevent dumping on tracks. One would have to jump out and change units at a station which are hardly few and far between in the Cardiff Valleys.

ValleyLines142

Established Member
PRM requirements and to prevent dumping on tracks. One would have to jump out and change units at a station which are hardly few and far between in the Cardiff Valleys.
Yes but to the average job public you wouldn't expect them to know that they are two seperate units and would have another toilet on board.

Bikeman78

Established Member
Are there any toilets that dump on the track now? I'm almost sure that the 321s do but perhaps they have had tanks fitted. Has Northern and EMR locked out the toilets on the 153s?

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Are there any toilets that dump on the track now? I'm almost sure that the 321s do but perhaps they have had tanks fitted. Has Northern and EMR locked out the toilets on the 153s?
I'm fairly certain that any train that's had one of the standard modular universal toilets fitted will now also have waste tanks, as they tend to be installed together despite the two issues being dealt with by different rules. Older accessible toilets (such as on 158s) would have still dumped on the track but I believe all are tanked now.
Dumping on the tracks was supposed to end at the turn of last year but surprisingly wasn't as much of a political issue as accessibility was, until Covid came along and focused attention on things like hygiene. A number of media outlets have run stories on how some of Britain's trains were still doing this during 2020.
I wasn't aware of a specific new deadline for this new year, but whether it's a law or a policy change it's as good a time as any to make a change- and a very welcome change too for those who work on our tracks or clean and maintain our trains.

It's a good thing we're in Lockdown 33⅓ in a way, as otherwise these decommissioned toilets would need bolting or welding shut to stop people breaking into them on the late night "Vomit Comets"!

No idea if Northern or EMR have done similar but I wouldn't be surprised. The only non-tanked loos on trains still in traffic I can think of are the 143s and the 153s you mention, I'm assuming all EMR's HST trailers now have tanks fitted to the toilets that remain in use.

Last edited:

Bikeman78

Established Member
I'm fairly certain that any train that's had one of the standard modular universal toilets fitted will now also have waste tanks, as they tend to be installed together despite the two issues being dealt with by different rules. Older accessible toilets (such as on 158s) would have still dumped on the track but I believe all are tanked now.
Dumping on the tracks was supposed to end at the turn of last year but surprisingly wasn't as much of a political issue as accessibility was, until Covid came along and focused attention on things like hygiene. A number of media outlets have run stories on how some of Britain's trains were still doing this during 2020.
I wasn't aware of a specific new deadline for this new year, but whether it's a law or a policy change it's as good a time as any to make a change- and a very welcome change too for those who work on our tracks or clean and maintain our trains.

It's a good thing we're in Lockdown 33⅓ in a way, as otherwise these decommissioned toilets would need bolting or welding shut to stop people breaking into them on the late night "Vomit Comets"!

No idea if Northern or EMR have done similar but I wouldn't be surprised. The only non-tanked loos on trains still in traffic I can think of are the 143s and the 153s you mention, I'm assuming all EMR's HST trailers now have tanks fitted to the toilets that remain in use.
I agree that units with a universal access toilet also have a tank. However, the majority of class 321 still have the original small toilets. Incidentally I spoke to someone today that travelled on a 143 where the toilet was not locked.

Missed today's Landore movement. Anyone know what 142s went up?

142 069 & 142 083 came into Landore this morning. They are the last 2 142's that will be going to LE, bringing up to 12 the number of ex TfW Class 142's stored there (002/006/069/073/074/075/077/080/081/082/083 & 085)

The remaining 3 units: 010/072 & 076 remain at Canton and will be going from there to Newport for scrapping next week.

IMG_20210107_110810.jpg
142 069 & 083 arriving at Landore. 5F20, 07/01/21

Anonymous10

Established Member
142 069 & 142 083 came into Landore this morning. They are the last 2 142's that will be going to LE, bringing up to 12 the number of ex TfW Class 142's stored there (002/006/069/073/074/075/077/080/081/082/083 & 085)

The remaining 3 units: 010/072 & 076 remain at Canton and will be going from there to Newport for scrapping next week.

View attachment 88323
142 069 & 083 arriving at Landore. 5F20, 07/01/21
to be honest i miss those trains havent ridden a train in a year the pacers had character in my opinion pitty to see them go

AdamWW

Established Member
sadly Wales is in lockdown im furloughed and they dont go up west no more

I'd certainly agree they have character.

I think there is a good chance that before May we will all be allowed out again.

But I presume that just because they are allowed to run that long doesn't mean that they will.

warwickshire

On Moderation

I think there is a good chance that before May we will all be allowed out again.

But I presume that just because they are allowed to run that long doesn't mean that they will.
Fully agree. Very true to the word. As soon as safe to do so. Get them in.
Because sadly that what happened on northern last year 2020. When got northerns 142s got, pulled early. Due to 195 replacement. Dispite a very short brief spell when lockdown was easied enough briefly to travel on them during the final week off the December timetable 2020 period end. Which was a shame considering tfw came superb with 142073. Providing it could have been done on northern also.

Anonymous10

Established Member
Fully agree. Very true to the word. As soon as safe to do so. Get them in.
Because sadly that what happened on northern last year 2020. When got northerns 142s got, pulled early. Due to 195 replacement. Dispite a very short brief spell when lockdown was easied enough briefly to travel on them during the final week off the December timetable 2020 period end. Which was a shame considering tfw came superb with 142073. Providing it could have been done on northern also.

true still i live 3-4 hours from the pacers sadly

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
It says non-multi. I'm not fully sure what it means but i would guess that the pacer is not to be coupled to another pacer in service (apologies if i'm not correct)

It means that due to a fault is unable to couple to anything else at that end.

OwainsTrains

I cant remember the last time i saw a pacer down Swansea way (aside from those out of service going to Landore). At the start of 2020, before covid, they seemed to be regularly turning up on Pembroke Dock, Fishguard, plus the Saturday Swanline diagram and a weekday early morning working Cardiff to Milford and back to Cardiff (the one which didnt go to Manchester at the time).
around December of 2019 the Pacers were spotted in Fishguard Harbour doing the Boat and Parliamentary services on the weekend

Anonymous10

Established Member
It is for me. I know they're pretty rubbish but I've always liked them. Someone's got to!
same honestly even tho everyones saying how bad they are they were reliable work horses and had personality back in last January i had the choice of a non prm 153 or a 143 pacer for my 40 minute journey home (they were working in multiple) i took the pacer

Bikeman78

Established Member
It really isn't. Getting rid of this junk can only be good for the railway and its customers.
Hard to argue with this though they did usually make it from A to B without breaking. Which is more than can be said for their intended replacements.

Status
Not open for further replies.