• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

TFW Pacer withdrawals

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anonymous10

Established Member
Hard to argue with this though they did usually make it from A to B without breaking. Which is more than can be said for their intended replacements.
i hold the belief as a semi rail enthusiast that any train that turns up is better than one that doesn't turn up at all

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

AdamWW

Established Member
same honestly even tho everyones saying how bad they are they were reliable work horses and had personality back in last January i had the choice of a non prm 153 or a 143 pacer for my 40 minute journey home (they were working in multiple) i took the pacer

In my experience (around 10 years commuting up to last March), they were extremely reliable.

For the (short journey I did) I didn't see anything to complain about other than lack of capacity and the fact that inwards opening doors are not ideal on a crowded train.

Bikeman78

Established Member
In my experience (around 10 years commuting up to last March), they were extremely reliable.

For the (short journey I did) I didn't see anything to complain about other than lack of capacity and the fact that inwards opening doors are not ideal on a crowded train.
Back in the day I used to do the Rhymney to Radyr loco hauled train. The valleys was still mainly a two car railway. I often had to let the first Cardiff bound train go. It was impossible to get on. In my humble opinion, it would make sense to keep the 143s through the summer (or longer) so that all trains to Barry Island can be four car. Even if the 769s are fully up and running by May, that will only displace a handful of 150s. The displaced 153s won't help because they cannot run north of Radyr.

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
Back in the day I used to do the Rhymney to Radyr loco hauled train. The valleys was still mainly a two car railway. I often had to let the first Cardiff bound train go. It was impossible to get on. In my humble opinion, it would make sense to keep the 143s through the summer (or longer) so that all trains to Barry Island can be four car. Even if the 769s are fully up and running by May, that will only displace a handful of 150s. The displaced 153s won't help because they cannot run north of Radyr.

Dispensation for a longer period would have to be applied for and any decision would lie with DFT

Anonymous10

Established Member

I'm fairly sure that in normal times you may have seen an odd few of the Welsh ones generate interest given they are out of the box runners mostly. Cash supplies and many of the people sides of preservation and private railways that help facilitate such projects are both more finite or somewhat unavailable currently though. With some remaining uncertainty over the exact date where a degree of normality can resume it's just not worth the usual parties expending time trying to save Welsh ones when so there's so many bought already. I'm not sure many groups would overly prefer a 142 over a 143 as each does the same job so there should be further opportunities to snap up the last operating 143s over the summer if Wales still has a dozen or so til May. By then things may be a little better in terms of taking the chance on purchasing an asset and dealing with any logistics too.

Bikeman78

Established Member
Dispensation for a longer period would have to be applied for and any decision would lie with DFT
I know that of course but, assuming that the vaccine works well, it would be unfortunate to start running shorter trains just as passenger numbers pick up again. But stranger things have happened.

Richard Scott

Established Member
I have read that the TFW 142's have a total destruction order on them
Seems pointless, doubt they have any real commercial value anyway, only be a preservationist who'd have any interest assuming there are still people who want one?

AdamWW

Established Member
I've just seen that TFW are planning a reduced timetable from Monday.

Is this likely to mean that there will be no need for the 143s for the time being?

Anonymous10

Established Member

Is this likely to mean that there will be no need for the 143s for the time being?
quite possibly but who knows you would think they might just couple them to the 150s @scottish exile might shine more light soon if they go to landore for storage

Oh I wouldn't say that ;)

However:

View attachment 89009

Won't be 073, that left for Sims 20 minutes ago.
seems awfully like one might get preserved ofc you cant tell us but i hope one goes to the gwilli railway

Bikeman78

Established Member

I'm sure a few will be out to keep them ticking over and keep traction knowledge up to date.

Anonymous10

Established Member
Isn't that what they have been doing?
yes or to other prm units what i mean is it wouldn't make any real point not to as allows better distancing as fewer trains means busier as the small amount will all be on them so should be longer imo

ValleyLines142

Established Member

The timetable change is mainly affecting Maesteg and Ebbw Vale services, so I don't think it'll make much of a difference.

The Bay service is suspended (which is about time, it's been carting fresh air since the pandemic first started), but there's still roughly the same service on the Barry services.

AdamWW

Established Member
The timetable change is mainly affecting Maesteg and Ebbw Vale services, so I don't think it'll make much of a difference.

The Bay service is suspended (which is about time, it's been carting fresh air since the pandemic first started), but there's still roughly the same service on the Barry services.

I believe they're also ending the Ponty 'stoppers', so that's another few units not required.

ValleyLines142

Established Member
The new timetable doesn't have any Bay services (ticket acceptance with Cardiff Bus)
I know, but the Bay services are usually single 150s. Might mean that the spares from those will mean that the current Barry services will be 2x150 instead of 143+150 (haven't seen any double 150s for a while), but don't think it'll completely end the 143s for the time being.

Caaardiff

The entire network has been reviewed. Reductions in the North too

Caaardiff

Of which I am aware, but I was referring to the changes specifically in the Valleys and whether it would affect the use of the 143s.
Whole network cutbacks will likely result in more 150's & 153's being available and cascaded back down South for use on the Valleys service, therefore affecting the use of Pacers.

Status
Not open for further replies.