• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

TFW Pacer withdrawals

Status
Not open for further replies.

warwickshire

On Moderation
On the wensleydale railway Facebook page released on the 19th January is a statement that during may sometime 143608 will go over their for a future use on the wensleydale railway. When it comes off lease from transport for wales.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

sd0733

Established Member
Looking at the Valleys on Genius today its showing no pacers out at all that i can see, everything showing as single 150s except for a 150+153 diagram and a 769 both on Rhymney to Penarth
So depending how long this timetable goes on, i wonder if any 143s see service again.

AdamWW

Established Member
Looking at the Valleys on Genius today its showing no pacers out at all that i can see, everything showing as single 150s except for a 150+153 diagram and a 769 both on Rhymney to Penarth
So depending how long this timetable goes on, i wonder if any 143s see service again.

Yes I have been wondering that.

On the other hand, extra capacity might come in quite useful when people are allowed to travel again.

Personally I don't see the problem with a non-compliant unit so long as it always runs with one that is compliant (and maybe if it's made more clear which one is which than at the moment).

And possibly we are moving into an era where the railways can't afford to be too fussy about things.

Anonymous10

Established Member
On the wensleydale railway Facebook page released on the 19th January is a statement that during may sometime 143608 will go over their for a future use on the wensleydale railway. When it comes off lease from transport for wales.
Wensleydale seem to like their pacers

Bikeman78

Established Member
Unless they plan to have lockdown until mid May, it seems likely that they will come back. Hopefully they'll be used in small numbers prior to lockdown ending. Sitting around for two or three months won't do them any good. According to Roger Ford's reliability lists, last year they plummeted from second best fleet to worst fleet in Wales.

sd0733

Established Member
Unless they plan to have lockdown until mid May, it seems likely that they will come back. Hopefully they'll be used in small numbers prior to lockdown ending. Sitting around for two or three months won't do them any good. According to Roger Ford's reliability lists, last year they plummeted from second best fleet to worst fleet in Wales.
I would think now as much depends on the 769s being introduced as well as the additional 153s. There were only 8 diagrams in this timetable anyway. An extra couple of 769s and pairs of 153s on Rhymney-Bridgend could easily see them off by the time theres any increases in travel to need strengthening.
It would be nice to see them back for a bit as as it stands theyve gone out with a complete whimper but im not convinced we will see one in service myself. Time will tell i guess.

Bikeman78

Established Member
I would think now as much depends on the 769s being introduced as well as the additional 153s. There were only 8 diagrams in this timetable anyway. An extra couple of 769s and pairs of 153s on Rhymney-Bridgend could easily see them off by the time theres any increases in travel to need strengthening.
It would be nice to see them back for a bit as as it stands theyve gone out with a complete whimper but im not convinced we will see one in service myself. Time will tell i guess.
Well yes you have a point but that only works if we accept that all other Valleys routes will be a two car railway for the foreseeable future. Which includes Barry Island of course. The old trick of running the Ebbw Vale trains as relief trains through to Barry Island won't work because they are 170s. That's a lot of people trying to squeeze onto a half hourly single 150.

Mrs. Fortescue

On Moderation
They are needed out now!

Was squeezed onto a very busy 2-car 150 from Central to Pontypridd this morning. Very little "distancing" going on.

4 cars should be run to support Social Distancing. Especially as there are less services now, so more are shuffled onto the same service.

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
They are needed out now!

Was squeezed onto a very busy 2-car 150 from Central to Pontypridd this morning. Very little "distancing" going on.

4 cars should be run to support Social Distancing. Especially as there are less services now, so more are shuffled onto the same service.

If anybody complains via Twitter, re trains only having only 2 Cars, the standard reply is "we are using all available carriages"

Jamesrob637

Established Member
If anybody complains via Twitter, re trains only having only 2 Cars, the standard reply is "we are using all available carriages"

Glad it's not just TfW using that excuse. I haven't been past any depots recently to know exactly how many carriages aren't being used which could be.

Bikeman78

Established Member
They are needed out now!

Write in to TFW and point which train you were on. Ask what the Pacers are doing.

capital12

Must be a hell of a lot of Key Workers travelling at once if they’re filling a 150?

Or more likely most of them should have been at home and not travelling at all I’d expect!

Anonymous10

Established Member
Must be a hell of a lot of Key Workers travelling at once if they’re filling a 150?

Or more likely most of them should have been at home and not travelling at all I’d expect!
depends some might have legit reasons work shopping ect obviously if train was roughly 5pm it could be possible but not common

AdamWW

Established Member

Public transport is not and never has been reserved for "key workers" (whatever they are).

The rule is that you work from home if you possibly can.

If you can't, no matter what your job is, you are free to travel to work by whatever means appropriate.

Mrs. Fortescue

On Moderation

In danger of taking this thread off topic.... It doesn't take many people to fill a 2 car 150 these days. One to each set of seats - soon fills up.

As for workers - it isn't only key workers that are working now. Anyone who's work place is open for business would be required to attend work if required to.

supervc-10

As for workers - it isn't only key workers that are working now. Anyone who's work place is open for business would be required to attend work if required to.

You'd have thought so... but the other day, I had someone trying to sell 'The Modern Milkman' door-to-door :rolleyes:

ValleyLines142

Established Member
It really frustrates me when TfW have this mindset. Basically down to sheer naivety.

Have any 143s been out lately?

These are the TfW Class 142 sets that have gone to Sims for scrap. 5 last week and 5 again this week with the final 5 set to go next week.

1.jpg

2.jpg

ValleyLines142

Established Member
Having commuted on these since I was in school (I'm now 27), it's really sad to see them go! I also can't believe the 142s went before the 143s. Some of the 143s (143610 in particular) are looking very tired, both internally, structurally and externally!

Anonymous10

Established Member
Having commuted on these since I was in school (I'm now 27), it's really sad to see them go! I also can't believe the 142s went before the 143s. Some of the 143s (143610 in particular) are looking very tired, both internally, structurally and externally!
i suppose it came down to generally which fleet was in better nick instead of which units

The_Train

Established Member
080, 077, 081 & 085 went this week.

006 has been spared the crusher and has been sold to a new owner :D
Would you (or anyone else) know what happened to 142086 please? It is an ex Northern unit that I believe found it's way to Canton as a spares donor for the TfW fleet

Edit: Ignore this - just seen it has been discussed in another thread :)

Status
Not open for further replies.