• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

TFW Pacer withdrawals

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

sd0733

Established Member
Looks like just 3 pacers today, one of those with just 1 working.

142073 starts Cardiff at 0955 to Barry Island then back to Cardiff-Treherbert-Barry-Merthyr-Bridgend-Aberdare then empties to Pontypridd

142076 starts Treherbert at 09:15 then to Cardiff then Barry-Aberdare-Barry-Cardiff-Rhymney-Penarth-Cardiff-Treherbert and back to Cardiff

143605 on 08:57 Rhymney to Cardiff then empties to Canton.

Bikeman78

Established Member
It probably won't be known until the last day itself. 142s first to go and probably December 12th if they haven't all finished before then and perhaps a number of 143s into 2021
I'm reliably informed that the dispensation lasts until the end of the year so December 12th doesn't need to be a drop dead date for the fleet. I'd expect major faults or severe wheel flats to finish off individual units.

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
142073 which was condemned and parts removed in 2018 due to the underframe condition and which was brought back to life after TFW took over stands a chance of being the final one to be withdrawn. Since that resurrection it has had another long spell languishing at Landore with people "writing it off" once again but a few weeks ago it moved to Canton and once again put into working order and now going strong again.

Cardiff123

Established Member
I hope TfW don't withdraw Pacers prematurely, and do keep all 15 of their 143s in service if they need to, to aid social distancing. I was on a 2 car 150 (with no Pacer attached) this afternoon around school closing time and there was no social distancing on board, as the train was too busy.
Compared to the summer though, it does seem that the policy of face mask wearing is being adhered to now by 99% of passengers.

Established Member
i hope some are preserved

I don't, we've already got enough of the dreadful things in preservation as it is.

The preservation of Pacers has been a clear case of quantity over quality, as it's inevitable more of them will end up being scrapped further down the line as spare parts to keep them all going start running out.

WesternLancer

Established Member
I don't, we've already got enough of the dreadful things in preservation as it is.

The preservation of Pacers has been a clear case of quantity over quality, as it's inevitable more of them will end up being scrapped further down the line as spare parts to keep them all going start running out.
Yes, It's possible there will be enough preserved Pacers to create a strategic reserve DMU fleet:lol:

Bob Price

Think some railways will be able to offer services using Pacers at a lower running cost than if they ran a steam engine. Plus they can do all sorts of extras such as theme rides etc. I actually think the Pacers could ironically be the saviour of a few lines. Sorry, but off topic.

Jamesrob637

Established Member
Think some railways will be able to offer services using Pacers at a lower running cost than if they ran a steam engine. Plus they can do all sorts of extras such as theme rides etc. I actually think the Pacers could ironically be the saviour of a few lines. Sorry, but off topic.

So just like they saved BR lines, they'll save heritage lines!

I'm reliably informed that the dispensation lasts until the end of the year so December 12th doesn't need to be a drop dead date for the fleet. I'd expect major faults or severe wheel flats to finish off individual units.

Yes, ends on New Year's Eve: https://assets.publishing.service.g...142-2020-dispensation-17-July-2020-letter.pdf

The original dispensation was issued on 4 December 2019 so we might get an official confirmation in the next day or two if the 143s are getting another extension.

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
Last edited:

Bikeman78

Established Member
December 12th is a "target" date to fit in with the date of the new Timetable. From experience any dispensation letters will be sent out on December 31st :(:(
Depending on how many 769s run on Monday 14th, it should be possible to ditch the 142s that weekend as there's typically only half a dozen running each day at the moment. I won't be surprised to see them run up to and including the 31st though.

On another matter, four class 143s have been at Landore since early summer. I doubt they will ever come back so even if the 143s get another reprieve, there will only be 11 of them.

Anonymous10

Established Member

yes all are northern id like to see a 143 preserved in tfw or atw livery yes we hated them but they saved many lines and we need to remember that

Anonymous10

Established Member
There’s a 142 at the National Rail Museum. Do we need to preserve another just to preserve a livery?
is there really such a issue with me wanting a pacer kept on a welsh heritage line so i dont have to travel for Hours should i wish to ride one Again

Established Member
yes all are northern id like to see a 143 preserved in tfw or atw livery yes we hated them but they saved many lines and we need to remember that

That's because Northern have withdrawn theirs first.

Besides, there's already a GWR 143 earmarked for preservation. We don't need one to represent each livery carried by the type.

is there really such a issue with me wanting a pacer kept on a welsh heritage line so i dont have to travel for Hours should i wish to ride one Again

It's being realistic. If a large number of Pacers get preserved, then it's inevitable a number of them will end up getting scrapped later down the line as spare parts run out.

Do we really need to preserve fifteen (along with another five for other uses) 142s and over half of the 144s? A handful of each, as well as a few 143s, would have been sufficient.

adc82140

Established Member
We don't need one to represent each livery carried by the type.
I'd suggest that the NRM example has one carriage painted in original provincial blue and one in western region brown. Job done.

On Moderation
Saved many lines? Can anyone actually provide any evidence for that, or is it a Pacer urban legend?

ValleyLines142

Established Member
Depending on how many 769s run on Monday 14th, it should be possible to ditch the 142s that weekend as there's typically only half a dozen running each day at the moment. I won't be surprised to see them run up to and including the 31st though.

On another matter, four class 143s have been at Landore since early summer. I doubt they will ever come back so even if the 143s get another reprieve, there will only be 11 of them.

Which 143s are they? I notice 143602 is back in Cardiff.

My guess is maybe 143604, 143609, 143622 and 143623? I haven't seem for a while.

Established Member
NRM's 142001 as built was in GMPTE orange from new. I heard that it was planned to put it back in this livery.

Even better.

Frankly, I have no idea why there's so much enthusiasm to preserve so many of the dreadful things when rarer and far more interesting classes, like the 151s and 210s, no longer exist even as static exhibits.

WesternLancer

Established Member
Even better.

Frankly, I have no idea why there's so much enthusiasm to preserve so many of the dreadful things when rarer and far more interesting classes, like the 151s and 210s, no longer exist even as static exhibits.
This is a point well made, esp when you contrast with the very limited amount of EMU preservation (and indeed interesting and rare EMUs like the 4DDs not being restored), tho there are reasons for this give the difficulty running them.

However, I suspect a lot of pacers will not really be 'preserved' long term - it's that preserved lines see a business case for having them and running them at times as part of their service. It will no doubt end up with many units as parts donors or being put to one side when more serious costly repairs are required. But with that in mind it's no bad thing that they go to lines now in some numbers rather than end up destroyed in scrap yards where they can't perform that function. Long term so long as there are a small number of examples of each type well preserved, restored, clean and smart and running that's a good outcome.

AdamWW

Established Member
This is a point well made, esp when you contrast with the very limited amount of EMU preservation (and indeed interesting and rare EMUs like the 4DDs not being restored), tho there are reasons for this give the difficulty running them.

However, I suspect a lot of pacers will not really be 'preserved' long term - it's that preserved lines see a business case for having them and running them at times as part of their service. It will no doubt end up with many units as parts donors or being put to one side when more serious costly repairs are required. But with that in mind it's no bad thing that they go to lines now in some numbers rather than end up destroyed in scrap yards where they can't perform that function. Long term so long as there are a small number of examples of each type well preserved, restored, clean and smart and running that's a good outcome.

I suppose it depends what you want.

I'd much rather be able to see and travel on trains that were once commonplace and widespread but are no longer around than a prototype that only ever ran briefly.

And yes, unless maybe you think that it's preventing heritage lines from spending money on something more worthwhile, I can't see the damage done by having plenty of parts donors around.

Status
Not open for further replies.