• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

TFW Pacer withdrawals

Status
Not open for further replies.

Caaardiff

5 months to get the 769s ready, training started and in to operational service is creeping by very fast already, with little sign of progression happening yet.
Same with the 230s which will free up up to 3 units currently on Bidston and conwy lines (when the latter is actually open!)
As stated the 153s arent all in service yet, with PRM and cab mode happening. The latter seems to have progressed though as most of the newer arrivals have started to go in service but theres still at least 5 in for various mods.
I'm not sure of the exact number left but I would've thought most of the 150s would have had their PRM mods completed by the end of July, which will ease the pressure.
What remains to be seen is if TfW will extend delegations on specific Pacer units or get delegations for all units but only plan to use a certain amount in service at any one time.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Caaardiff

I hear 9 143s have recently moved to Landore. Is this permanent with them being retired or just while there's a reduction in service?

Caaardiff

Hear the Pacers won't be leaving before December now as it's unlikely the 769's will enter service before then and same with 230's.

Cardiff123

Established Member
Hear the Pacers won't be leaving before December now as it's unlikely the 769's will enter service before then and same with 230's.
Yes, I suspect the 143s that were sent to Landore for warm storage will be back by the end of this month. Esp as train lengths need to be the maximum possible in this new time of social distancing.

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
Yes, I suspect the 143s that were sent to Landore for warm storage will be back by the end of this month. Esp as train lengths need to be the maximum possible in this new time of social distancing.

I think the reason they were sent to Landore was to make space at a congested Canton while less units were required in service. There have been backward and forward moves with 3 at a time being brought back to Canton to undergo exams.

Anonymous10

Established Member
Likely that all units will be in use to maintain distance luckily I live on a little used line and not sure if I will return to work soon

Cardiff123

Established Member
I think the reason they were sent to Landore was to make space at a congested Canton while less units were required in service. There have been backward and forward moves with 3 at a time being brought back to Canton to undergo exams.
Well seeing as 'lockdown' has been extended in Wales for at least another 3 weeks, there will be no rush to get any surplus Pacers back into service for at least another month or more

Scropton

Does anybody know the purpose of the empty stock movement from Carmarthen to Canton yesterday afternoon? It consisted of 5 class 153s in various liveries and passed through Llanelli shortly after 1700.

sd0733

Established Member
Does anybody know the purpose of the empty stock movement from Carmarthen to Canton yesterday afternoon? It consisted of 5 class 153s in various liveries and passed through Llanelli shortly after 1700.
There have been units stabled all over the place due to lack.of space at Canton. Presumably now more.units are back out in service and out the way the outstabled ones can be put back to Cardiff. There was a similar move from Shrewsbury to Canton of all the units which were there earlier in the week.

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
There have been units stabled all over the place due to lack.of space at Canton. Presumably now more.units are back out in service and out the way the outstabled ones can be put back to Cardiff. There was a similar move from Shrewsbury to Canton of all the units which were there earlier in the week.

A lash up of 5 x 153s ran from Carmarthen to Canton on Tuesday afternoon

Anonymous10

Established Member
I'm gonna guess they r preparing for the end of lockdown and need all coaches ready to allow social distancing

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
I thought only four 153s could run in service at one time?

About 2 years ago GWR 1900 Penzance to Exeter one Sunday night started with 3 x 153 and after attaching a further 2 at Plymouth ran with 5 X 153s in service. I think 6 may be maximun but not 100 % cent sure off hand.

craigybagel

Established Member
IIRC, it's 8 cabs for 14x and 10 cabs for 15x, so a 5 car 153 would be the max.

Cardiff123

Established Member
Even though I haven't come across any 'official' news about this, it must be assumed that TfW have had their deadline for Pacer withdrawal extended until at least 31st December this year given the need to keep Pacers in service for Covid social distancing and due to the continued (and seemingly indefinite) delay of the 769s.
IIRC the original extended deadline given to TfW to withdraw Pacers by was 31st July, which is next Friday.

Bets on TfW still having Pacers in service well into next year?

Anonymous10

Established Member
Even though I haven't come across any 'official' news about this, it must be assumed that TfW have had their deadline for Pacer withdrawal extended until at least 31st December this year given the need to keep Pacers in service for Covid social distancing and due to the continued (and seemingly indefinite) delay of the 769s.
IIRC the original extended deadline given to TfW to withdraw Pacers by was 31st July, which is next Friday.

Bets on TfW still having Pacers in service well into next year?
And it was looking like they might make it out this year with covid I think they will be gone by this time next year

Bob Price

With the 230's starting to be delivered and the 769's starting testing again soon I think the Pacers days are numbered. Releases 150's and 153's to take over their duties. Would imagine they will go in the December changes, some before that

Status
Not open for further replies.