• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

TfW restoring most of its pre-March 2020 TT from 13/9

Status
Not open for further replies.

Presumably a significant number of people who wanted and were able to take a vaccine, have partaken now so even with the case rates rising the Welsh government will weigh that up against the new level of risk (compared with last year pre vaccines) and try to balance the revised risks against providing a service to shorter platformed locations. There could be people struggling to reach medical appointments in nearby towns or impacted on in other adverse ways too, beyond simply a choice of how to travel (especially elderly people or those who cannot drive). TFW may also factor in those things such as face covering advice/legislation and the total time of exposure of the member of crew near to passengers if they have to undertake a door procedure and go so far as to factor in the fact that part of the procedure that involves them standing in the fresh air a little further away. I would say the risk of them passing through for customer service duties on a busy train may be little different.

Regardless of our own views, which I won't share as covid can cause a lot of divide (like Brexit on steroids), it's more to do with what the train operator and Welsh government decide and presumably the unions will have taken a view too and decided against industrial action over safety thus far. What happens over late autumn plus winter then depends on whether the situation deteriorates again (something nobody will want to see).

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Peter749

There seems to be more MIA to Holyhead & V.v. trains than before with the Llandudno trains diverted

woolos

They have still cancel the last train from Cardiff to Ebbw vale and in the December 21 timetable they have put the last train at 2234

Glenn1969

Established Member
The 2106 Birmingham Int departure is diverted to Manchester after Chester instead of being a boat train to Holyhead like I'm sure it used to be. That means there is a 0032 return working from Piccadilly to Chester

Is it just me that thinks this an odd routing and could the RTT listing change?

anthony263

Established Member
They have still cancel the last train from Cardiff to Ebbw vale and in the December 21 timetable they have put the last train at

Problem with the 2305 Cardiff to ebbw vale service is that it would class with the 2320 Newport to Crosskeys service

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
They have still cancel the last train from Cardiff to Ebbw vale and in the December 21 timetable they have put the last train at 2234

It will be reviewed as things progress. The complete pre COVID Timetable is not yet in place.

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
The 2106 Birmingham Int departure is diverted to Manchester after Chester instead of being a boat train to Holyhead like I'm sure it used to be. That means there is a 0032 return working from Piccadilly to Chester

The 2106 is shown as reverting to it's pre COVID destination of Manchester after a period of terminating at Chester. The 2254 ex Birmingham is the Holyhead service

craigybagel

Established Member
The 2106 is shown as reverting to it's pre COVID destination of Manchester after a period of terminating at Chester. The 2254 ex Birmingham is the Holyhead service
Although one thing that has changed is the 2254 is now running via the Stour Lines rather than via Bescot, though without any changes to the timings so there's a long wait at Wolverhampton. This matches up with the morning Stafford service which has been Stour vice Bescot for a while now.

Kite159

Veteran Member
Although one thing that has changed is the 2254 is now running via the Stour Lines rather than via Bescot, though without any changes to the timings so there's a long wait at Wolverhampton. This matches up with the morning Stafford service which has been Stour vice Bescot for a while now.

Seems to very rarely go via Bescot at the moment due to the inbound service being a bit rubbish at time keeping!

wobman

On Moderation
Seems to very rarely go via Bescot at the moment due to the inbound service being a bit rubbish at time keeping!
It's more to do with pathing and staff availability issues, not many TFW staff know bescot and it's difficult to cover the jobs.

berneyarms

Established Member

Regarding the "boat train", the 19:34 ex-Cardiff Central was the boat train pre-Covid.

That will be the 19:41 ex-Cardiff Central in the December timetable, arriving at Holyhead at 00:43. To my mind, the notion of "boat trains" in connection with the night sailings ended years ago.

The 22:54 ex-Birmingham International does not connect with either the Stena sailing at 02:15 or the Irish Ferries sailing at 02:40 and has not for years.

craigybagel

Established Member
Regarding the "boat train", the 19:34 ex-Cardiff Central was the boat train pre-Covid.

That will be the 19:41 ex-Cardiff Central in the December timetable, arriving at Holyhead at 00:43. To my mind, the notion of "boat trains" in connection with the night sailings ended years ago.

The 22:54 ex-Birmingham International does not connect with either the Stena sailing at 02:15 or the Irish Ferries sailing at 02:40 and has not for years.
Indeed, it's hard to call a particular train "the boat train" when there isn't a return service from Holyhead connecting with the night time ferries anymore!

sd0733

Established Member
It's been booked via the Stour and hanging around at Wolves for quite a while, cant remember when it changed but was probably the May change.

craigybagel

Established Member
It's been booked via the Stour and hanging around at Wolves for quite a while, cant remember when it changed but was probably the May change.
Ah, did I get it the wrong way round and it was 0424 Chester - Birmingham in the morning that was still going via Bescot? Either way both Stafford jobs are booked via Stour in the new timetable. The last TfW Birmingham of the day (1922 Holyhead - Birmingham and 2334 Birmingham - Shrewsbury) is still booked via Bescot both ways.

sd0733

Established Member
Ah, did I get it the wrong way round and it was 0424 Chester - Birmingham in the morning that was still going via Bescot? Either way both Stafford jobs are booked via Stour in the new timetable. The last TfW Birmingham of the day (1922 Holyhead - Birmingham and 2334 Birmingham - Shrewsbury) is still booked via Bescot both ways.
They've both been going via the Stour. G00 has been booked into 4c for quite a while so has to go Stour and the 2254 has been sitting as Wolves for 20 mins for a while now. Not sure why both changed as competency on Bescot will be gone pretty soon

Peter749

On what days?
From Monday 13/09 the 1D98 2106 Birmingham International to Chester and it seems to be in that path until at least end of October.

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
On what days?
From Monday 13/09 the 1D98 2106 Birmingham International to Chester and it seems to be in that path until at least end of October.

From December if it does. Thrown by Post #34 not being clear regarding dates and took it at face value without checking.

Not from September it isn't. It's shown in the yet to be finally confirmed December Timetable.

Last edited:

mrd269697

Was speaking to a TFW employee today who was updating the posters at Bidston station for the new timetable. The timetable started Yesterday, and they are only just putting out the posters now. They haven’t to my recollection even put them online yet.

he told me that when engineering works were taking placing one time, he was putting the posters (which informed passengers no trains were running) up along the Bidston - Wrexham route in the middle of the week that the engineering works were taking place, and had to inform bewildered passengers who had no idea their train would be a rail replacement bus. TFW seem to be very laid back at getting information out - especially with informing passengers information - I made a thread about a booked train failing to stop at Conwy and there was absolutely no announcement to the 15 or so people waiting for the train.

they have some good ideas - but their customer relations need to improve and fast.

I must emphasise that the frontline workers and those behind the scenes answering the phones and the tweets are exemplary staff and my issue lies with those up top.

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
Was speaking to a TFW employee today who was updating the posters at Bidston station for the new timetable. The timetable started Yesterday, and they are only just putting out the posters now. They haven’t to my recollection even put them online yet.

he told me that when engineering works were taking placing one time, he was putting the posters (which informed passengers no trains were running) up along the Bidston - Wrexham route in the middle of the week that the engineering works were taking place, and had to inform bewildered passengers who had no idea their train would be a rail replacement bus. TFW seem to be very laid back at getting information out - especially with informing passengers information - I made a thread about a booked train failing to stop at Conwy and there was absolutely no announcement to the 15 or so people waiting for the train.

they have some good ideas - but their customer relations need to improve and fast.

I must emphasise that the frontline workers and those behind the scenes answering the phones and the tweets are exemplary staff and my issue lies with those up top.

We were expecting the PDF Timetables about 2 weeks ago but still waiting and people keep chasing them on Twitter. TFW keep saying they will be available soon but had to wait to finalise some last minute changes.
I agree with you about lack of information and they have a habit of taking taking trains out of the Timetable such as a reduced Sunday service in the Valleys for a few weeks but, unlike other TOCs in similar circumstances, didn't bother to tell people. It's all very well to "check before you travel" as they say but they could at least inform people of a guide as to what to particularly look for.
Talking of Conwy has reminded me of an incident last Saturday evening when a death had been reported in the vicinity of Y Fflint station (not actually on railway property) when it was required to close the line at the request of the Emergency services. A Down train going to Holyhead had to terminate at Shotton and discharge it's passengers who were told, presumably by the conductor, that buses would be provided. The unit returned to Chester and approx 100 passengers were left at a station late at night with no transport, no information as to if and when buses might arrive and no staff.

Last edited:

The exile

Established Member
We were expecting the PDF Timetables about 2 weeks ago but still waiting and people keep chasing them on Twitter. TFW keep saying they will be available soon but had to wait to finalise some last minute changes.
I agree with you about lack of information and they have a habit of taking taking trains out of the Timetable such as a reduced Sunday service in the Valleys for a few weeks but, unlike other TOCs in similar circumstances, didn't bother to tell people. It's all very well to "check before you travel" as they say but they could at least inform people of a guide as to what to particularly look for.
Talking of Conwy has reminded me of an incident last Saturday evening when a death had been reported in the vicinity of Yr Fflint station (not actually on railway property) when it was required to close the line at the request of the Emergency services. A Down train going to Holyhead had to terminate at Shotton and discharge it's passengers who were told, presumably by the conductor, that buses would be provided. The unit returned to Chester and approx 100 passengers were left at a station late at night with no transport, no information as to if and when buses might arrive and no staff.
Were the passengers given the option of returning to Chester with the train? If not, I hope it wasn’t for some “ railway operational convenience” reason!

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
Were the passengers given the option of returning to Chester with the train? If not, I hope it wasn’t for some “ railway operational convenience” reason!

Perhaps they should have been given the opportunity to wait at a station where staff are available.

wobman

On Moderation
Talking of Conwy has reminded me of an incident last Saturday evening when a death had been reported in the vicinity of Yr Fflint station (not actually on railway property) when it was required to close the line at the request of the Emergency services. A Down train going to Holyhead had to terminate at Shotton and discharge it's passengers who were told, presumably by the conductor, that buses would be provided. The unit returned to Chester and approx 100 passengers were left at a station late at night with no transport, no information as to if and when buses might arrive and no staff.
Did the buses arrive to transport the passengers onwards to their destinations ?
It was obviously a unpredictable situation with the circumstances of an ongoing emergency incident, TFW had no control of the closure and the traincrew only follow what TFW control tell them to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.