• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

TfW - Still no on board ticket sales. What about commission?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Y Ddraig Coch

Established Member
With Transport for Wales still not carrying out any on board ticket sales, I understand this is a union decision in association with the Welsh government. I understand and think its fair enough. But, the cynic I am makes me wonder. Unions being unions, What about the lost commission? Are all conductors just accepting they haven't made any commission for a year or so? Or has a deal being struck?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

sd0733

Established Member
With Transport for Wales still not carrying out any on board ticket sales, I understand this is a union decision in association with the Welsh government. I understand and think its fair enough. But, the cynic I am makes me wonder. Unions being unions, What about the lost commission? Are all conductors just accepting they haven't made any commission for a year or so? Or has a deal being struck?
Yes weve not earned any commision so non has been paid any, no deal was ever done.
Not even sure where we are at now going back, theres been trials but not a lot has been said since.

Y Ddraig Coch

Established Member
Yes weve not earned any commision so non has been paid any, no deal was ever done.
Not even sure where we are at now going back, theres been trials but not a lot has been said since.
Thank you for the update.

Dai Corner

Established Member
The Welsh Government seem prepared to carry on making up the shortfall in revenue.

Train operator Transport for Wales (TfW) will get another £70m of taxpayers' funding to make up for a drop in passenger numbers.
It follows around £167m of extra funding from the Welsh Government to keep trains running through the pandemic last year.
The latest injection of cash was revealed in government budget documents.
TfW said the money would protect jobs and keep vital services running.
Week-day passenger numbers on TfW's Wales and Borders network are around half their pre-pandemic levels.
Ticket sales have plummeted across the UK as a result of coronavirus.

The Office for Rail and Road - which regulates Britain's railways - said journeys on TfW trains fell from more than 30m in 2019/20 to just 5m last year.

As a result, the service was effectively nationalised by the Welsh government in February.
In an update to its budget, the government said the £70m would "help meet operating costs from September until the end of November, whilst passenger numbers and fares remain uncertain".
It declined to comment further.
In a statement, TfW said: "As the coronavirus pandemic continues to impact passenger revenue across the rail industry, this additional support from the Welsh Government enables us to provide vital services, safeguard jobs and deliver on our plans to provide a rail service the people of Wales and Borders can be proud of."

Y Ddraig Coch

Established Member

HamworthyGoods

Established Member
It wasn't so much the revenue I was talking about. More the fall our from conductors lost commission. But that seemingly isn't an issue.

Why would a deal be done to cover lost commission, can you imagine the public outcry!!

Many people have been furloughed and not even getting 100% pay, on the railway we have been somewhat lucky to avoid furlough, there needs to be a sense of realism.

Y Ddraig Coch

Established Member
Why would a deal be done to cover lost commission, can you imagine the public outcry!!

Many people have been furloughed and not even getting 100% pay, on the railway we have been somewhat lucky to avoid furlough, there needs to be a sense of realism.

Oh I completely agree. But I thought the conductors may have a chat with the union about it. Let's be honest the railway industry has benefits and contracts like no where else. It's another world.

BrokenSam

I'm not fussed about the commission. I walk through the train as instructed without equipment at the moment. People should be paying anyway.

dk1

Veteran Member
Many of our conductors are now hungrier than ever on revenue protection which is great to see. Hopefully as restrictions change so will many of TfW crews.

Y Ddraig Coch

Established Member
I'm not fussed about the commission. I walk through the train as instructed without equipment at the moment. People should be paying anyway.
In the many many TfW trains I have used recently. I haven't seen a conductor let alone have one walk through the train. In fact the conductor on the train home yesterday put black and yellow tape across the rear vestibule when she joined the train to ensure nobody could get close to her or get on or off at the rear door (175) while she opened the doors at station stops

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
In the many many TfW trains I have used recently. I haven't seen a conductor let alone have one walk through the train. In fact the conductor on the train home yesterday put black and yellow tape across the rear vestibule when she joined the train to ensure nobody could get close to her or get on or off at the rear door (175) while she opened the doors at station stops
Really struggle to see why that's necessary when the guard's compartment has its own external door on the 175. Was she afraid that people might come within 2m of her on the platform?!

Dai Corner

Established Member
The guard of the Cl 769 TfW train I used on Thursday did spend most of the journey in the passenger compartment operating the doors. She didn't tape off a section or appear to worry about passengers using the door she was at.

Y Ddraig Coch

Established Member
Really struggle to see why that's necessary when the guard's compartment has its own external door on the 175. Was she afraid that people might come within 2m of her on the platform?!
I can't answer, it baffled me too. But, she got on and put the tape across which I thought was odd.

dk1

Veteran Member
I can't answer, it baffled me too. But, she got on and put the tape across which I thought was odd.
Some have gone totally over the top throughout this. I’m surprised they get out the front door of their house. Even seen tears at the thought of somebody not wearing a mask nearby.

Anonymous10

Established Member
unfortunately i can say some use it and think the trains are free because of it

1955LR

I used a TFW service on the Cambrian coast last week and customer told to use the centre doors to exit so that the area by the guards door and exit was kept clear for staff to distance

Anonymous10

Established Member
I used a TFW service on the Cambrian coast last week and customer told to use the centre doors to exit so that the area by the guards door and exit was kept clear for staff to distance
yes i caught one from Pembroke dock and the doors by the cabs were taped off so you can only use the middle doors

Was on board 158834 on the Cambrian the other day and then guard sold me a ticket. He said usually he wouldn't but as the train was nearly empty he was going round to do such a job.

Bikeman78

Established Member
Many of our conductors are now hungrier than ever on revenue protection which is great to see. Hopefully as restrictions change so will many of TfW crews.
The majority of TfW guards haven't checked or sold any tickets since the weekend of 14th March 2020.

craigybagel

Established Member
Over the last few years most guards have found their commission levels have fallen off a cliff anyway. More and more stations have barriers now and with the advent of e-tickets there really isn't the need for much anywhere near as much onboard sales as there used to be.

The current situation won't be a huge financial loss for most guards and I suspect they're just grateful to still be at work. There's also plenty of overtime going at present so if they do need to top up their wages there are plenty of opportunities.

Fyldeboy

Was on board 158834 on the Cambrian the other day and then guard sold me a ticket. He said usually he wouldn't but as the train was nearly empty he was going round to do such a job.
Obviously a guard who is committed to his job - irrespective of the current 'rules', how many guards wouldn't consider revenue protection and customer service to be major parts of their role?

Y Ddraig Coch

Established Member
The majority of TfW guards haven't checked or sold any tickets since the weekend of 14th March 2020.
Indeed but trains were empty then and it wasn't really an issue but are now full to bursting.

Not today though 90% down the coast are cancelled so no issues as I had to walk home from Conwy.

RHolmes

Is commission actually significant anyway? I would have expected it to be beer token money at best.

Usually around 4-6%

Not worth risking self-isolating to earn around 4p in every £1 (and that’s if all the passengers don’t already have valid tickets)

6Gman

Established Member
But how, if they're travelling unstaffed to unstaffed?

I've only ever bought tickets at booking offices or on board, no idea how to buy online and not sure my ticket (staff privilege) can even be bought online!

dk1

Veteran Member
Is commission actually significant anyway? I would have expected it to be beer token money at best.
Males quite a difference when some where taking well over £1000 especially on an early shift. The 5% soon mounts up & is very lucrative for some in the monthly payslip.

Cardiff123

Established Member

I've only ever bought tickets at booking offices or on board, no idea how to buy online and not sure my ticket (staff privilege) can even be bought online!
TfW now have new TVM's at virtually every station, so they'd argue even if travelling from an unstaffed station, you still have the facility to buy a ticket before you board (as long as you're paying by card and not cash)

dk1

Veteran Member

I have never known any TVMs or online offering priv fares. Would just wait & buy at the first interaction with a human being.

Status
Not open for further replies.