• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

TFW Stock Shortages

Status
Not open for further replies.

iantherev

Chaos on the 0804 Radyr to Coryton this morning. Single 153 already full and standing from Fairwater. Dangerously overcrowded by Waun-Gron Park and two got left behind. At Ninian Park nobody could board. Passengers asking people to move right the way down inside the carriage and then getting sh***y with each other because they have to squash all the way in.

I don't want to be told that there's a shortage of stock and blah blah blah. I get it. But that is not how a TOC should operate. Especially on a service that only runs at a half-hourly frequency.

And where do you expect TfW to get extra trains from. It’s not like a bus operation where you can ring Ensign and get a fleet of double deckers sent down the M4...

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Quakers Yard

It's common for all three Radyr to Coryton diagrams to be 153s at the moment. They should all be Pacers or 150s. They all do at least one busy run in both peaks. With so many short forms coming down from Pontypridd, people from Radyr are almost filling the city line trains before they set off.

At the moment, Cheltenham trains are often cancelled to provide units for the valleys. The arrival of the 170s will provide a better service to Cheltenham because they won't be able to be pinched to run elsewhere. But it won't free up many units to replace Pacers.

I get the 804 from Radyr often and yes a 153 can be packed before it even gets to Fairwater. The trains are horrendously crush loaded from further up the line it's a relief to get off and go round the City line and have a bit of fresh air at Radyr.

There is also an 0813 to Central behind it starting from Radyr.

Cardiff123

Established Member
At the moment, Cheltenham trains are often cancelled to provide units for the valleys. The arrival of the 170s will provide a better service to Cheltenham because they won't be able to be pinched to run elsewhere. But it won't free up many units to replace Pacers.

All very good but the 170s still haven't left Canton sidings since the first one was delivered almost 8 weeks ago, yet all 12 will be in service on 16th December - in 7 weeks time?

Last edited:

Even if there are Pacers sitting in Canton sidings during the day, a 142+153 on a peak time City line service, will be better than the rammed single 153 DanTrainMan185 described this morning.
Unfortunately, even if TfW had spare stock it can't be done. At least one City Line platform isn't officially long enough to accommodate a pair of 153s, never mind a 153 + Pacer.

anamyd

On Moderation
Unfortunately, even if TfW had spare stock it can't be done. At least one City Line platform isn't officially long enough to accommodate a pair of 153s, never mind a 153 + Pacer.
I saw double 153s on a City Line service the other day...?

geoffk

Established Member
Today the 1128 Holyhead – B'ham International was a 150, departed late and terminated at Chester. TfW 150s seem to be more common in Manchester on both routes (they are more comfortable than Northern's though). There was a former GWR 153 in the sidings at Chester.

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
Today the 1128 Holyhead – B'ham International was a 150, departed late and terminated at Chester. TfW 150s seem to be more common in Manchester on both routes (they are more comfortable than Northern's though). There was a former GWR 153 in the sidings at Chester.

There has been a TFW 153 at Chester for some weeks now for training Holyhead and Llandudno Jn crews

tomwills98

I think it's nothing more than a two car trian, other wise you'll be able to walk through the train to get from Coryton to Heath.

craigybagel

Established Member

Have seen them in the past

I'm not sure what the platform lengths are down the city line - but there's no reason an overly long train can't stop stations down there, so long as only one door is opened. Every conductor at TfW is trained on that.

anamyd

On Moderation
I'm not sure what the platform lengths are down the city line - but there's no reason an overly long train can't stop stations down there, so long as only one door is opened. Every conductor at TfW is trained on that.
I was thinking that but didn't say it!

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
A 158 with 23m Cars had a booked working from Radyr to Holyhead via the City Line in the early 2000s

anamyd

On Moderation
Reported on Journey Check as damaged and immovable. As it's a Pacer it might have been it's last trip.
That hadn't occured to me, that any Pacers that get taken out by anything at this point might just get withdrawn

Y Ddraig Coch

Established Member
I am surprised that with the Conwy valley line closed between Llanrwst and Blaenau ffestiniog until at least Monday that they didn't just bustitute the whole journey rather than just the affected section. Buses on that route can easily keep to time of the trains and with such a shortage of units. I thought this would have been a no brainer.

This would have given a spare 150 for 5 days at least.

Llanigraham

On Moderation
Reported train has hit a tree and been damaged on the Ebbw Vale line, so another one in for repair

ValleyLines142

Established Member
And where do you expect TfW to get extra trains from. It’s not like a bus operation where you can ring Ensign and get a fleet of double deckers sent down the M4...

And if you'd have read my post properly you'd have noticed that I did already state that I'm aware there is a shortage of carriages and that I am aware of it. But it's still poor.

anamyd

On Moderation
Reported train has hit a tree and been damaged on the Ebbw Vale line, so another one in for repair
the same as the one in post 103...? will they even bother repairing it, since it's a Pacer and 2020 is only just over 2 months away...?

Nick Ashwell

Surely that depends on the damage, if it turns out to be say a few panels and a wheel they might do it, if it's major damage they more than likely won't

ValleyLines142

Established Member
142010 and 150245 are both sat next to each other in Canton sidings with their injuries looking very sorry for themselves!

anthony263

Established Member
Personally depending on the damage I cant see 142010 getting repaired considering the amount of time left. Better off scrapping it and replacing it with one of the 142s withdrawn by northern

Last edited:

anamyd

On Moderation
Personally depending on the damage I can see 142010 getting repaired considering the amount of time left. Better off scrapping it and replacing it with one of the 142s withdrawn by northern
can't, not can, right...?

ValleyLines142

Established Member
Personally depending on the damage I cant see 142010 getting repaired considering the amount of time left. Better off scrapping it and replacing it with one of the 142s withdrawn by northern

But equally TFW need it back immediately, so maybe they'll fix it? I don't know how bad the damage is, I'll inform you when I pass Canton sidings on the 8.04 from Radyr (that's if I manage to board it!)

OffThePacer18

Saw a class 175 working between Shrewsbury and Birmingham this morning - a first for me. Usually 158s or on fairly rare occasions another type of Sprinter. What's going on?

Saw a class 175 working between Shrewsbury and Birmingham this morning - a first for me. Usually 158s or on fairly rare occasions another type of Sprinter. What's going on?

There is an emergency timetable due to railway being washed away at Pontralis.

PHILIPE

Veteran Member

Would that have been the 0518 from Shrewsbury. ? If so what was going on is that a 175 would have been doing it's booked working.

OffThePacer18

Would that have been the 0518 from Shrewsbury. ? If so what was going on is that a 175 would have been doing it's booked working.
I had no idea any 175s were ever booked on services to Birmingham. Presumed there was a shortage of 158s available or something of the sort.

Status
Not open for further replies.