• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

TfW to operate Class 37s on the Rhymney Line

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaulBWilliams

I happen to be in South Wales from tomorrow and on Tuesday I am going to be on the 1727 from Energlyn.

This was before the 37 services were planned. Is it likely to be full that far towards Rhymney?
You might be okay from Energlyn. That train is full at Queen Street when they run 2 carriages, but then starts easing gradually as people get off at Heath High Level and onwards. There’s normally enough capacity with 4 carriages.
However, it may be busier with enthusiasts once the 37s start running.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Cletus

Established Member
You might be okay from Energlyn. That train is full at Queen Street when they run 2 carriages, but then starts easing gradually as people get off at Heath High Level and onwards. There’s normally enough capacity with 4 carriages.
However, it may be busier with enthusiasts once the 37s start running.

Thanks for the info.

sftfan1909

How overcrowded was it this morning? I'm guessing most of any standing passengers would have been enthusiasts rather than commuters :D

PaulBWilliams

It wasn’t too bad in the front carriage. About half the carriage were enthusiasts. People were standing but there was some space.
The rest of the train may have been worse as could hear announcements asking people to move down the carriages.

pieguyrob

So am I right in thinking that the 17:01 Cardiff Cental to Rhmney will be a 37 and mark 2's.

PaulBWilliams

So am I right in thinking that the 17:01 Cardiff Cental to Rhmney will be a 37 and mark 2's.
I’m not sure. Thinking it could be:

2R20 17:01 Cardiff Central - Rhymney (a.18:05)
Or
2R22 17:31 Cardiff Central - Rhymney (a.18:40)

I am hoping the later one today as I’m at the dentist’s this afternoon so miss the earlier one!

pieguyrob

Real Time Trains has the 2R20 as a diesel locomotive. One way or another I will find out 57 minutes. Currently at Cardiff Central.

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
Real Time Trains has the 2R20 as a diesel locomotive. One way or another I will find out 57 minutes. Currently at Cardiff Central.

Don't take any notice of RTT. People rely on it too much All the options are shown as such. It will be the 1701

pieguyrob

You are very welcome sir.

They have security people who stand in the vestibules to make sure people don't lean out of the window. I think they help people on and off as well.

krus_aragon

Established Member
You are very welcome sir.

They have security people who stand in the vestibules to make sure people don't lean out of the window. I think they help people on and off as well.
That's probably a good idea for the first few days of service. After that, the regular travellers should be up-to-speed on how to operate the doors, and the number of bashers will have died down too.

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
True, but in this instance it's corroborative: it agrees with @sftfan1909 's observation (from Gilfach's platform posters) and yours that it'll be the 1701.

The ones that are now shown as Loco are the 1701 and the 1746 departures from Cardiff Cen so that points to the 1746 being the Loco Hauled when the second set comes into being next week (hopefully) rather than the 1731 as first thought. The schedules had been amended last week and showing the 1701 and 1731 as not calling at Gilfach Fargoed. However, as we know, the introduction did not happen as intended last week so TFW Journey Check was showing these two services to call additionally at Gilfach Fargoed as they were still DMU worked.

anamyd

On Moderation
good to hear that a set has gone into service! good old mixed use locomotives - 37-418 was on a ballast train on the Cambrian not long ago and now it's on Rhymney line rush hour commute duties :D

anamyd

On Moderation
Further to this, TFW have tweeted that it will be the 1746 that will be hauled next week
Couldn't see a link to the tweet and did what I usually do when that's the case (scroll through for ages without being able to find said tweet) :p

Status
Not open for further replies.