• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

TfW to operate Class 37s on the Rhymney Line

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Cardiff123

Established Member
Rail Magazine now carries the story of Class 37 use on Rhymney line, with a quote from Tfw management.
https://www.railmagazine.com/news/network/locomotive-hauled-trains-to-cover-welsh-stock-shortfall
Notice how it's gone virtually silent on the 769s, which are/were due to work the Rhymney line from next month and provide the cover that the 37s have had to be brought in to now provide instead. I suspect like Northern, TfW have given up on setting a date for when the 769s will (ever) be in service. Maybe by the end of this year if we're lucky.

anthony263

Established Member
Does anyone else think these loco hauled services are going to be rather over crowded with the commuters and the bashers on board ?. Personally i do hope tfw do look into running at least one of the sets on a Saturday

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Does anyone else think these loco hauled services are going to be rather over crowded with the commuters and the bashers on board ?. Personally i do hope tfw do look into running at least one of the sets on a Saturday

I think that it works out at a slight increase on seats versus 2x150s.

I've long idea how busy the normal workings are though, so it could well prove insufficient.

Kite159

Veteran Member

Agreed, just as a way to try and encourage the 37 bashers to use the Saturday service rather than crowding up an already busy train.

Bikeman78

Established Member
Even if they don't run every Saturday I expect they will run when there is an event on in Cardiff. And in the run yp to Christmas if they're still running by then.

Bikeman78

Established Member
I don't think it did, I didn't hear it and the garden backs onto the Railway line.
I doubt you'd miss it. When I was a student, I lived in Braeval St in Cardiff. We were six houses away from the railway but when the 37s came past they made the letterbox vibrate!

This is indeed true, they make quite a racket leaving the station. I am looking forward to having them back on the line. Comfort levels regressed when they were withdrawn.

Whistler40145

Established Member
Is there a specific reason why Colas Rail are providing 37418 & 37421 versus DRS who have a larger fleet of 37/4s?

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Then something big rocks up and commuters can't get on the train because it is swarming with cranks!
A dirty banger blue 56 knocking around at Canton perhaps..?

Bikeman78

Established Member
Then something big rocks up and commuters can't get on the train because it is swarming with cranks!
Maybe for the first day or two until the novelty wears off. Bear in mind if you go to Rhymney there is no train back to Cardiff until 20:00. I was one of the few regulars last time round and it was rare to see more than a few cranks on weekdays.

Bikeman78

Established Member
Sorry I think I completely misunderstood the point you were making. Having said that, many of the no heat 37s ran up the valley with only a few cranks on board because the gen came out too late for anyone out of the immediate area to get there in time.

Suraggu

It's unlikely to attract a swarm of cranks, perhaps the kidz who have never had them but even then its not an easy out and back.

When they were running back pre 2005 for me it was Cardiff to Ystrad then unit back to Cardiff. Mostly commuters.

The Saturday trains however, that was a different story.

Cardiff123

Established Member
Just burst out laughing at this post.

Cheers
What's funny about it? In the unlikely event one or both 37s were to fail, what else can TfW substitute it with? Bare in mind that the 37s will be covering for 150s that have been sent away for PRM work, if the 37s are unavailable at the last minute, it's highly likely that a Pacer unit, or a pair of Pacers, would have to substitute at short notice.

Status
Not open for further replies.