• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

TfW to operate Class 37s on the Rhymney Line

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

The_Train

Established Member
I'm plotting a trip down on Thursday so good to hear that 2R20 was LHCS yesterday - be good if someone could confirm the same today. My intention is to have a run to Caerphilly and then return on the 1740 (or the 1725 if the gods are with me) in time for the 1830 back to Temple Meads.

Is there still issues with flooding down that way and am I likely to get stuck anywhere between Cardiff and Caerphilly?

43 302

Established Member
I'm plotting a trip down on Thursday so good to hear that 2R20 was LHCS yesterday - be good if someone could confirm the same today. My intention is to have a run to Caerphilly and then return on the 1740 (or the 1725 if the gods are with me) in time for the 1830 back to Temple Meads.

Is there still issues with flooding down that way and am I likely to get stuck anywhere between Cardiff and Caerphilly?
If you're going all the way from Bristol I'd recommend going up to Rhymney, then you get to see the 37 decouple and run around. As for flooding I went all the way up yesterday and the line was fine.

The_Train

Established Member
If you're going all the way from Bristol I'd recommend going up to Rhymney, then you get to see the 37 decouple and run around. As for flooding I went all the way up yesterday and the line was fine.

I'm going all the way from Stafford so I'm limited for time because they don't come out to play until late :lol: my need to return to Cardiff is more because I got close but not close enough to clearing the pacers for sight during my last visit and want to do so before they disappear. The 37 is just an added bonus :E

Dai Corner

Established Member

Although note that the next train back to Cardiff isn't until 2000

43 302

Established Member
I'm going all the way from Stafford so I'm limited for time because they don't come out to play until late :lol: my need to return to Cardiff is more because I got close but not close enough to clearing the pacers for sight during my last visit and want to do so before they disappear. The 37 is just an added bonus :E
Fair enough then. Rumour is you might get 37 418 and 37 025 tonight.

Fincra5

Established Member
Although note that the next train back to Cardiff isn't until 2000

The best thing to do, if you want to see them at Rhymney, is get one of the local taxi companies to take you to Ebbw Vale. Our was about 12quid. Good Driver we had. There's at least a Pub in Ebbw Vale!

rich36

Could someone let me know if 37418 worked on it's own tonight or did 025 turn up

Dai Corner

Established Member
The best thing to do, if you want to see them at Rhymney, is get one of the local taxi companies to take you to Ebbw Vale. Our was about 12quid. Good Driver we had. There's at least a Pub in Ebbw Vale!

Or walk up to the High Street in Rhymney, turn left and there's the Royal Arms just along on the other side of the road. Don't know what it's like, but with an extra 12 quid of beer money who cares? :lol:

anthony263

Established Member
37025 is doing a test train from landore via the tondu - margam line probably to inspect the line ready for freight diversions on 22nd march.

duffield

Established Member
When these services stop, I assume this will finally be the end of any regular timetabled class 37 services on the National Rail network. Is that right?

DannyMich2018

When these services stop, I assume this will finally be the end of any regular timetabled class 37 services on the National Rail network. Is that right?
Yes I believe so. Not a bad innings for locomotives which were first introduced 60 years ago!! :)

iantherev

Or walk up to the High Street in Rhymney, turn left and there's the Royal Arms just along on the other side of the road. Don't know what it's like, but with an extra 12 quid of beer money who cares? :lol:

or wave your Ranger ticket at the driver of a passing Stagecoach bus heading for Merthyr.

Anonymous10

Established Member
Yes I believe so. Not a bad innings for locomotives which were first introduced 60 years ago!! :)
No not bad at all People complain about their reliability but they to me are awesome pieces of engineering especially still being used for freight for a few years yet if you had a 60 year old car you would expect issues

Dai Corner

Established Member
Or Bargoed, where you can get 4tph.

After 1800 the only bus to Bargoed seems to be the 1, operated by NAT, so your Ranger won't be valid. You won't get to Bargoed until after the last train starting there has left so you may as well wait in Rhymney.

Evening travel in the Valleys isn't straightforward!

JN114

Established Member
37418 Presiding at the helm of 2R20 1701 Cardiff Central to Rhymney tonight.

Unless I’m mistaken the coach formation is:
E6158 / E6042 / M6024 / E9520

xotGD

Established Member
That depends on whether you class the Scarborough Spa Express as a regular timetabled service. I would expect it to produce pairs of 37s again this summer.

duffield

Established Member
That depends on whether you class the Scarborough Spa Express as a regular timetabled service. I would expect it to produce pairs of 37s again this summer.

I suppose I wouldn't count it, I was thinking more regular than that. :E

Clive SFC

37 418 on 1701 last night and 0743 x Rhymney this morning .. many different rumours re finish .. driver told me 1701 tonight should be ok .. after that who knows?

Jamesrob637

Established Member
A mate of mine is currently down in Cardiff and apparently the 17:01 to Rhymney is cancelled as the 37 has broken down!

Down North

According to TFW journeycheck tonight would’ve been the last trip..

Attachments

• EDF80A88-378B-44C4-85BA-6E0E012784AA.png
    EDF80A88-378B-44C4-85BA-6E0E012784AA.png
    306.5 KB · Views: 126

Bikeman78

Established Member
A mate of mine is currently down in Cardiff and apparently the 17:01 to Rhymney is cancelled as the 37 has broken down!
Indeed. Some said it was a fitting end to the operation. Lots of unhappy cranks including several with cars in Rhymney.

Status
Not open for further replies.