• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

TfW to operate Class 37s on the Rhymney Line

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris217

It was funny to me
As I remember many years ago going for the 37 on the North Wales coast on the overnight down to Birmingham,waiting at Llandudno Jcn for it to arrive and it turned up with a 150+142 !
I thought,ah! a 142 to Birmingham! That will be a first!
But no!,they took it off at Chester and the single 150 went forward!
Anyway fast forward to your post as I like Pacers. Had you said a 150,then this reply wouldn't have been written.
I little inadverted sense of humour here paid off thanks to your original reply to which I thank you lol.

My later reply regarding them only being ETH 37s that everyone has cleared for a thousand was my attempt of giving a humorous reply,although I suspect the train will still have bashers on it to add an extra 16miles to their totals.

By the way Cardiff123,I originate from Cardiff. Wish I still lived there tbh.
I have only developed a bad sense of humour since I moved to Liverpool lol.
Thanks for making my day though

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

anthony263

Established Member
Colas have a depot at Cardiff canton as well where as drs are at crewe which may have also been a factor

Chris217

Ha,one of the Colas 37s
is named Cardiff Canton.
Doubt that will operate it
being a non ETH one.
Not that we need ETH during
the summer months.

Dai Corner

Established Member
You do if you want the air-conditioning! ;)

You might get away without it for the morning down services, but not going back up in the evening after the stock has been sat in the sun all day. Still, that gives Colas the day to get a 37/4 working!

hexagon789

Veteran Member
You might get away without it for the morning down services, but not going back up in the evening after the stock has been sat in the sun all day. Still, that gives Colas the day to get a 37/4 working!

I'd have thought it would've been a requirement to having it working all the time?

Dai Corner

Established Member
I'd have thought it would've been a requirement to having it working all the time?

What do you do if it's found that the ETH on one of the locos has failed before departure from Rhymney one morning? Run empty and leave people behind with severe overcrowding on following services or run loaded but a bit stuffy?

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
What do you do if it's found that the ETH on one of the locos has failed before departure from Rhymney one morning? Run empty and leave people behind with severe overcrowding on following services or run loaded but a bit stuffy?

They would still be cold in all probability if they were left on the platform.

cactustwirly

Established Member

It would have to be cancelled wouldn't it?
Surely safety features such as CDL are dependent on ETH?

hexagon789

Veteran Member

I suppose not, but are they allowed to enter service without air-con working?

I assume ETH stands for E......... Train Heating?

Electric Train Heating, generally referred to as ETS - Electric Train Supply seeing as it's typically not purely for heating since the advent of air-conditioning on coaching stock.

matt

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
ETH = Electric Train Heating. Provides power for aircon and central door locking

cactustwirly

Established Member
Surely the trains will be TnT (Top and Tailed), therefore it's very unlikely that ETH will be broken on both units

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Surely the trains will be TnT (Top and Tailed), therefore it's very unlikely that ETH will be broken on both units

Two locos and two sets of coaches, I'm not sure if T&T is the plan or not as I'm sure read that there are going to be two seperate diagrams eventually.

Cardiff123

Established Member
Two locos and two sets of coaches, I'm not sure if T&T is the plan or not as I'm sure read that there are going to be two seperate diagrams eventually.
0724 & 0742 down Rhymney - Cardiff and 1701 and 1731 up Cardiff - Rhymney.
So no top and tailing.

I wonder how passengers will react come January when for 7.5 months they will have had spacious, air conditioned trains for their commute, but in January presumably they'll be getting 769s without air con and cramped 3+2 seating.
The 769s will be seen as a step down compared to the Mk2 coaches

cactustwirly

Established Member
So no top and tailing.

I wonder how passengers will react come January when for 7.5 months they will have had spacious, air conditioned trains for their commute, but in January presumably they'll be getting 769s without air con and cramped 3+2 seating.
The 769s will be seen as a step down compared to the Mk2 coaches

How will the LHCS services change direction then?

PHILIPE

Veteran Member

The locos would run round at each end as before. If they are only using 2 locos and possibly a spare at the outset, there wouldn't be enough for Top and Tail

Quakkerillo

Cardiff has obvious shunting locations, and if you look on openstreetmap, you'll see there is space with the track continuing just beyond Rhymney for the locomotives to run round, and then via the same track into the 'yard' that is beside the station, ready for the next day (for which it'll do two short reverse-headed shunting moves), I assume.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
So no top and tailing

The locos would run round at each end as before. If they are only using 2 locos and possibly a spare at the outset, there wouldn't be enough for Top and Tail

I thought that must be the case from the use of only 2 locos with 2 rakes of coaches bit conventional loco-haulage is quite unusual these days, push-pull or T&T generally seem to be preferred.

Dai Corner

Established Member
I thought that must be the case from the use of only 2 locos with 2 rakes of coaches bit conventional loco-haulage is quite unusual these days, push-pull or T&T generally seem to be preferred.

They'll have all day or all night to run round so the extra complications of push-pull or expense of top-n-tail wouldn't bring any real advantages.

matt

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Yes they can run round at Rhymney where the 37s used to run round. As they sit there all night there is plenty of time. Same at Cardiff Canton.

anamyd

On Moderation
Ha,one of the Colas 37s
is named Cardiff Canton.
Doubt that will operate it
being a non ETH one.
Not that we need ETH during
the summer months.
I watched a video only recently of that naming taking place at the depot its named after, in 2003 I think it was!

Railperf

Established Member
Top and tailing is glorious - as I discovered in East Anglia

Status
Not open for further replies.