• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

TfW to operate Class 37s on the Rhymney Line

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

xotGD

Established Member
Are the coaches air conditioned? Would be a nice upgrade from a 150.
Except when an NB 37 has to fill in on a sunny afternoon! At least all of the droplights will be open.

(NB = Non-Boilered, or more specifically in this case a 37/0 rather than a 37/4 so unable to operate the air conditioning)

Dai Corner

Established Member
Except when an NB 37 has to fill in on a sunny afternoon! At least all of the droplights will be open.

(NB = Non-Boilered, or more specifically in this case a 37/0 rather than a 37/4 so unable to operate the air conditioning)

Especially if they've been sat in the sun all day at Canton! Is there a shore supply there they could plug in to so at least the stock would start its journey cold?

HamworthyGoods

Established Member
From what I can gather from Facebook the extra capacity will be lost due to bashers riding them :D:D
What extra capacity? As mk2s are lower density and half the coach is a van the set will have lower capacity than the 4 car DMU it replaces.

Dai Corner

Established Member
What extra capacity? As mk2s are lower density and half the coach is a van the set will have lower capacity than the 4 car DMU it replaces.

I wonder if passengers will allowed to stand in the van? The bashers would all do that if it was behind the loco, leaving the comfy seats for the normals.

Class 170101

Established Member
Richard Clinnick on Twitter

Confirmed by @tfwrail that Class 37s will be on Valley Line trains from Monday. They will work 0724 Rhymney-Cardiff and 1701 Cardiff-Rhymney. From 24th June a second set will do 0743 Rhymney-Cardiff and 1746 Cardiff-Rhymney.

The hotels will do good business up there as its impossible to get to the morning ones without staying there overnight unless some road transport is available. Also would Rangers / Rovers be valid on the morning services - most aren't valid until 09:30ish?

Brissle Girl

Established Member

The hotels will do good business up there as its impossible to get to the morning ones without staying there overnight unless some road transport is available. Also would Rangers / Rovers be valid on the morning services - most aren't valid until 09:30ish?
Or catch an early service as far as Bargoed and pick it up there. Still get 3/4 hr on it. And I think you've answered your question re rover tickets, they aren't valid in the morning peak, and quite rightly so given the overcrowding in the rush hour.

JonathanH

Veteran Member

Or just join the 37-hauled train at Bargoed which can be reached from Cardiff in the morning.

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I wonder if passengers will allowed to stand in the van? The bashers would all do that if it was behind the loco, leaving the comfy seats for the normals.

Well this particular basher won't be standing in any van - I'll be sitting in a comfy seat with the normals thank you. :D

Richard Scott

Established Member
Sorry if I've missed something but only started to take note once 37025 was reported as being around. Is the stock through wired so that both locos power or is it proposed just the leading loco powers?

Veteran Member
Or catch an early service as far as Bargoed and pick it up there. Still get 3/4 hr on it. And I think you've answered your question re rover tickets, they aren't valid in the morning peak, and quite rightly so given the overcrowding in the rush hour.
In any case doing the run up-gradient is more entertaining (though it clashes with dinner on the Holyhead train :()

Bikeman78

Established Member
As i understand it the ORR has banned anyone from standing in the brake vans. Last time round the morning trains had loads of people standing in them.

As regards capacity, yes the hauled sets will be a reduction on a pair of 150s but the same as a pair of Pacers. Also the displaced units will reduce the number of short forms or cancellations on other routes.

Dai Corner

Established Member
Technically, no. If it should come to the point they couldn't even board that could be another issue.

Morally, perhaps someone who has caught the Rhymney train to work every day for many years is more deserving of a seat (or standing space) in the train of his choice than a basher? The all day Saturday service last time we had the 37s worked well in that the bashers could get their fix riding up and down all day without inconveniencing the commuters.

Bikeman78

Established Member

How popular is the Norwich set? On the face of it, it's rather more appealing than Rhymney because it's running for most of the day.

tomos dafis

Are normals somehow more deserving of a seat than an enthusiast who has paid a fare as well, then?
In practical terms we have a "turn-up and go" railway so anyone who pays for a valid ticket can travel. However, morally, I can also see why genuine regular commuters who board at Queen St,, the second stop, to get home might feel aggrieved if they find normally busy trains even more overcrowded because of "enthusiasts", when they have suffered overcrowding for a long time and been promised extra capacity for their daily journeys. However, are fare-paying enthusiasts any less deserving than other casual or intermittent travellers who are shopping, visiting family or just taking leisure trips alongside the regular commuters? Although maybe non-commuters are more flexible and likely to avoid these peak services because they are busy, unlike the enthusiasts who are targeting them because of the traction/rolling stock.

Honest Ross

Commuting to and from Cardiff Central is congested and fraught at the best of times - I’d be furious if I couldn’t board because a bunch of spotters are clogging up the train.

xotGD

Established Member
Commuting to and from Cardiff Central is congested and fraught at the best of times - I’d be furious if I couldn’t board because a bunch of spotters are clogging up the train.
Why would spotters be on the train? They would be on the platform at Cardiff.... spotting.

Cletus

Established Member
I happen to be in South Wales from tomorrow and on Tuesday I am going to be on the 1727 from Energlyn.

This was before the 37 services were planned. Is it likely to be full that far towards Rhymney?

Status
Not open for further replies.