• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

TfW to operate Class 37s on the Rhymney Line

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

xotGD

Established Member
I see that 37025 is now involved in the ecs workings.

FracaWicro

Here is 37421 (with 418 at the tail (barely in shot)) running 3Z36 on a training run at Pengam last week.
COoi9rL.jpg

anamyd

On Moderation
From the title, it looks lke a rehash of the posteer. ATW used up north when our loco-hauled rakes were introduced. I think a version of it still remains inside the current timetable book 4.
I'll look in it sometime today!

Bikeman78

Established Member
It's easy to forget that many of today's passengers weren't even born when slam doors were last the norm in the Valleys. Timekeeping as well as safety will be at risk if people don't know what to do.
Years ago there was a Rhymney guard on the hauled sets that gave detailed instructions about how to open the doors by lowering the window and the please slam them shut if you are the last person to exit. It worked. His trains were never late.

Dr_Paul

Established Member
Maybe I've missed it further up the thread, but has anyone explained why a large diesel loco hauling all of four carriages are being used here rather than a DMU?

tomwills98

Maybe I've missed it further up the thread, but has anyone explained why a large diesel loco hauling all of four carriages are being used here rather than a DMU?

All of the TfW's must have accessibility modifications fitted to them to meet new criteria that comes into play at the end of the year. Delays in the 769 programme have meant that they're a bit behind and trains need to be sent away to allow this to happen.

To cover the shortfall, four loco hauled trains a day (two in the morning and two in the afternoon) are being used. 37's are leased by Colas as they have a depot in Canton so it's fairly local and should be in use until the end of the year when hopefully 769's should be ready.

tomos dafis

Because a Syphon-head is in charge of things in Wales these days :D

Ignoring silly replies and to get serious and back on topic and expanding on the sensible posts 227 and 228 above, they allude to the fact that by now 5 class 769 units (with another 4 ordered later) should be running the services on the Rhymney line, but the 2 delivered so far (and 2 delivered to Northern), very late in both cases, still appear to have unspecified problems that prevent them from turning a wheel under their own power on the main line even for training/testing, let alone carrying passengers. As an undesirable (probably expensive) LAST RESORT the locos plus carriages have been drafted in to try to fulfil a promise to increase capacity on these services . Also, I believe I am right in saying that the class 230's should have started to appear by now, but have only just started revenue service on the Marston Vale line, with some initial teething troubles.
So 2 lots of cascaded stock which should now be entering service are absent, hence the pressure on existing ageing stock, with many existing units needing to be taken out of service for PRM work - the cascaded units which have not arrived on time were also supposed to provide some cover for this.

krus_aragon

Established Member
Also, I believe I am right in saying that the class 230's should have started to appear by now, but have only just started revenue service on the Marston Vale line, with some initial teething troubles.
Going from memory, the original schedule of TfW 230s was for the first unit to arrive at the Conwy Valley for testing in May, with further deliveries over the summer.

Naturally, the Conwy Valley hasn't been open to rail traffic, but the delivery timetable has slipped somewhat too. They're not as late as the 769s (yet), though: the first of those were due back in 2018!

Dr_Paul

Established Member
Ignoring silly replies and to get serious and back on topic and expanding on the sensible posts 227 and 228 above, they allude to the fact that by now 5 class 769 units (with another 4 ordered later) should be running the services on the Rhymney line, but the 2 delivered so far (and 2 delivered to Northern), very late in both cases, still appear to have unspecified problems that prevent them from turning a wheel under their own power on the main line even for training/testing, let alone carrying passengers. As an undesirable (probably expensive) LAST RESORT the locos plus carriages have been drafted in to try to fulfil a promise to increase capacity on these services . Also, I believe I am right in saying that the class 230's should have started to appear by now, but have only just started revenue service on the Marston Vale line, with some initial teething troubles. So 2 lots of cascaded stock which should now be entering service are absent, hence the pressure on existing ageing stock, with many existing units needing to be taken out of service for PRM work - the cascaded units which have not arrived on time were also supposed to provide some cover for this.

Thanks for this and other replies to my question.

FracaWicro

Thanks for this and other replies to my question.

According to a Facebook group I'm in, training on the 769s is meant to start on the Rhymney in September. I'm not 100% certain about the validity of this, or the logistics as only 002 and 008 have been delivered so far.

anthony263

Established Member
37516 looks like it's going back to southall so no idea what 37 is going to take its 0lace unless its 37025 as the spare Thunderbird 37

Status
Not open for further replies.