• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

TfW to operate Class 37s on the Rhymney Line

Status
Not open for further replies.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
I think you can get away without power doors if you have someone supervising each one.

There's the visual announcements to consider too. Perhaps a set of pre-printed notices with someone to hold up the right ones at the right times? Or even a whiteboard? :lol:

In the original IET documents, it suggested that bringing Mk3s up to regs only required an accessible toilet and compliant interior door handles. I wonder of fitting internal handles would suffice for the Mk2 sets.

A PIS could probably be fitted, but the issue with most of these things is time and cist

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

hexagon789

Veteran Member
I think you can get away without power doors if you have someone supervising each one.

There's the visual announcements to consider too. Perhaps a set of pre-printed notices with someone to hold up the right ones at the right times? Or even a whiteboard? :lol:

In a document about modernising the Mk3s, it suggested that bringing Mk3s up to regs only required an accessible toilet and compliant interior door handles. I wonder of fitting internal handles would suffice for the Mk2 sets.

A PIS could probably be fitted, but the issue with most of these things is time and cost to do it first what is likely a relatively short period of use.

krus_aragon

Established Member
You could get someone with the surname Dylan (a good Welsh name) to do it:
002725_211.jpg

Image of Bob Dylan from the video to Subterranean Homesick Blues, holding a card with the words "Look Out!" on it

Bikeman78

Established Member
I can't blame the current operator for doing that, given some recent events involving train windows.
I believe the ORR insisted on it. Also standing in the brake van is banned. Last time round there were loads of standees in the brake vans so now they have to squeeze into another part of the train.

At the risk of straying off topic, I didn't know that GTR got fined for Balham. That signal gantry has been there since the 1970s. I sometimes poked my head out of the window of 4CIGs when going round that curve and I'm still alive. The bloke on the 442 must have been leaning way out.

hwl

Established Member
I believe the ORR insisted on it. Also standing in the brake van is banned. Last time round there were loads of standees in the brake vans so now they have to squeeze into another part of the train.

At the risk of straying off topic, I didn't know that GTR got fined for Balham. That signal gantry has been there since the 1970s. I sometimes poked my head out of the window of 4CIGs when going round that curve and I'm still alive. The bloke on the 442 must have been leaning way out.
The track alignment has also moved.
442 are 23m not 20m so more centre throw...
The RAIB reckoned the clearance was just 68mm (dynamic) and had been less than zero for some vehicles between 2010 and 2013 leading to visible damage to the gantry

S-Bahn

If this train is as packed as that, and no doubt the second set will be once that starts soon as well (1746 off Cardiff) TfW will find it difficult to justify withdrawing these loco hauled services in December if the 769s are not ready to take their place in January.
There's no point promising 4 car 150s instead in January if the 769s are not ready, because we know it's far too easy to substitute with 2 cars instead of 4.

Given the current level of demand, TFW could easily find there are enough customers to fill a 6 coach rake at peak hours, as news of improved capacity would encourage more people to use the service.

Bikeman78

Established Member
The track alignment has also moved.
442 are 23m not 20m so more centre throw...
The RAIB reckoned the clearance was just 68mm (dynamic) and had been less than zero for some vehicles between 2010 and 2013 leading to visible damage to the gantry
Fair enough, interesting facts. Nevertheless fatal accidents involving train windows are very rare. You could throw money or manpower at almost anything else and save more lives. The UK hardly has any windows left that people can lean out of. Most latter BR designs have hopper windows. Most European railways retained sliding vents until air con became the norm.

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
First fall out tonight. TFW Journey Check says that 1701 Cardiff Cen to Rhymney tonight will be formed by 2 units due problems with the stock.

Broseley man

Afternoon all. I'm travelling down from Shropshire specifically to travel on this train tomorrow. Please, if anyone knows what the problem is and the chances of it being a class 37 I would be very grateful.
Thank you. Frustrated? Will be if it doesn't run.

PaulBWilliams

First fall out tonight. TFW Journey Check says that 1701 Cardiff Cen to Rhymney tonight will be formed by 2 units due problems with the stock.
Thank you Philipe. Am hanging on at Central as 37025 just went through with the empty stock training train. So hoping they might do something with that instead on the 1731 or 1746.

Last edited:

PaulBWilliams

Thank you Philipe. Am hanging on at Central as 37025 just went through with the empty stock training train. So hoping they might do something with that instead on the 1731 or 1746.
No joy. Both the 17:31 and 17:46 were units.

Last edited:

vladker

Hello all. First post on these fab forums.

The morning class 37 service was 'pacerstuted' this morning (to everyone's horror). Humorusly though, nobody told the security company that normally 'helps' with the doors - they are proving very efficient at pressing the 'open' button.

krus_aragon

Established Member

The morning class 37 service was 'pacerstuted' this morning (to everyone's horror). Humorusly though, nobody told the security company that normally 'helps' with the doors - they are proving very efficient at pressing the 'open' button.

Well that brings a smile to my face :D

I think there'd be brownie points to anyone who manages to stick their head out of a Pacer window. Either that, or a job at the circus...

PaulBWilliams

Welcome vladker

hexagon789

Veteran Member

Any idea of the issue?

Well that brings a smile to my face :D

I think there'd be brownie points to anyone who manages to stick their head out of a Pacer window. Either that, or a job at the circus...

At least they'd get the dwells down a bit! :lol:

tomwills98

Please excuse me asking again but does anyone know if the class 37 is running this evening?

Thanks.

No mention yet on the evening working but ran as two pacers this morning and issues yesterday.
Any idea of the issue?

At least they'd get the dwells down a bit! :lol:

Something to do with the coaches rather than the 37's by the looks of things, just listed as door faults. If the security stays on the train there'll be two guys per door

krus_aragon

Established Member
No mention yet on the evening working but ran as two pacers this morning and issues yesterday.
Given that the trains are maintained at Cardiff, the first working after repairs will probably be an evening run. The only issue is knowing which evening...

PaulBWilliams

37421 didn’t run the 2R20 1701 Cardiff Central to Rhymney this evening, I understand due to driver illness. It was run with a unit instead.

I have been told it should run back up to Rhymney this evening in readiness for the morning 2F10 0743 Rhymney to Cardiff Central. Would anyone have any information on the planned run back up this evening, whether it will take place?

MatthewRead

On Moderation
Are these 2 diagrams definitely staying into next year because I was told on WNXX forum that the contract has been extended to March 2020 please can somebody confirm this?

krus_aragon

Established Member
37421 didn’t run the 2R20 1701 Cardiff Central to Rhymney this evening, I understand due to driver illness. It was run with a unit instead.

I have been told it should run back up to Rhymney this evening in readiness for the morning 2F10 0743 Rhymney to Cardiff Central. Would anyone have any information on the planned run back up this evening, whether it will take place?
There's a 37 training run on RTT later this evening to Rhymney and back (left Central 1848). They might cancel the return leg of that, and leave that rake up at Rhymney for the morning.

Status
Not open for further replies.