• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

TfW to operate HSTs between Cardiff and Holyhead?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sw1ller

Established Member
Mod Note: Posts #1 - #38 originally in this thread.

Ive also heard the HST rumour. Conflicting rumours but sounds true enough. The one I’ve heard is 4x GWR sets with mk2 coaches. Holyhead have been told to expect training soon apparently. I would think other depots have too if that’s true. Can’t imagine them having more than 5 coaches though.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Brissle Girl

Established Member
Surely if HSTs are used they would use existing Mk 3 stock, especially if it is for such a short time. There would probably be some type of arrangement with GWR in terms of maintenance who would be well equipped to do so, given they already have a fleet of short HSTs which cycle to and from Cardiff.

Phil from Mon

Completely different issue.
Sorry, don’t understand. We have been told there are Mk 4s coming in December for N Wales to Cardiff services. There is now a rumour that HSTs are coming for that as well, as quoted above. So, surely it is valid to ask if they are instead of, or in addition, or maybe even just until December to allow other stock to move elsewhere?

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
Sorry, don’t understand. We have been told there are Mk 4s coming in December for N Wales to Cardiff services. There is now a rumour that HSTs are coming for that as well, as quoted above. So, surely it is valid to ask if they are instead of, or in addition, or maybe even just until December to allow other stock to move elsewhere?

The Mark 4s are long term, the short HSTs are just temporary until such time due to current shortage of DMUs

hexagon789

Veteran Member
The Mark 4s are long term, the short HSTs are just temporary until such time due to current shortage of DMUs

Are the HSTs going to replace the 67+Mk3 used on certain services out of Holyhead and Llandudno?

Ted172

Are the HSTs going to replace the 67+Mk3 used on certain services out of Holyhead and Llandudno?

The HSTs are not going to replace the 67+Mk3 sets. The HSTs would likely be a temporary measure so most of the stock gets the PRM-TSI modifications before December 2020. The 67+Mk3 sets will get Mk4 coaches from LNER, but they will still have Class 67s.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
The HSTs are not going to replace the 67+Mk3 sets. The HSTs would likely be a temporary measure so most of the stock gets the PRM-TSI modifications before December 2020. The 67+Mk3 sets will get Mk4 coaches from LNER, but they will still have Class 67s.

Not the Premier Service set, the other one.

craigybagel

Established Member
Bear in mind folks none of this has been announced officially yet, so I wouldn't make any assumptions about where the fleets are going and what they might be working.

sw1ller

Established Member
Bear in mind folks none of this has been announced officially yet, so I wouldn't make any assumptions about where the fleets are going and what they might be working.

Agreed. I wasn’t gonna say anything at all as I know very little, but someone had already got the ball rolling.

krus_aragon

Established Member
Not the Premier Service set, the other one.
It's my understanding that both 67+MkIII sets are staying until December, when the MkIVs are due to arrive. The MkIV rakes would (eventually?) be used on Holyhead-Cardiff services, with displaced 175s being used to replace the second MkIII rake on the Manchester-Llandudno/Holyhead diagram.

That's apparently what the plan was at franchise renewal. There's been a lot going on since, but nothing that would suggest the second MkIII rake needs replacing before December.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
It's my understanding that both 67+MkIII sets are staying until December, when the MkIVs are due to arrive. The MkIV rakes would (eventually?) be used on Holyhead-Cardiff services, with displaced 175s being used to replace the second MkIII rake on the Manchester-Llandudno/Holyhead diagram.

That's apparently what the plan was at franchise renewal. There's been a lot going on since, but nothing that would suggest the second MkIII rake needs replacing before December.

Okay, thanks for clarifying.

So TfW are replacing the Premier Mk3 set and other Mk3 set with three Mk4 seats all with First Class and a buffet?

krus_aragon

Established Member
Okay, thanks for clarifying.

So TfW are replacing the Premier Mk3 set and other Mk3 set with three Mk4 seats all with First Class and a buffet?
Yeup. The long term intention is for two rakes doing three Holyhead-Cardiff runs each day (for three first class services each way per day), with one rake spare.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Yeup. The long term intention is for two rakes doing three Holyhead-Cardiff runs each day (for three first class services each way per day), with one rake spare.

Ah, so there will be a spare set, wondered if they'd just substitute a unit.

158srule

Onl
Only 2 will be in traffic. Set 1 will work
0705 Cardiff - Holyhead
1132 Holyhead - Cardiff
1716 Cardiff - Holyhead

Set 2 will work
0551 Holyhead - Cardiff
1121 Cardiff - Holyhead
1650 Holyhead - Cardiff

Rake 3 will be spare.

krus_aragon

Established Member
Onl

0705 Cardiff - Holyhead
1132 Holyhead - Cardiff
1716 Cardiff - Holyhead

Set 2 will work
0551 Holyhead - Cardiff
1121 Cardiff - Holyhead
1650 Holyhead - Cardiff

Rake 3 will be spare.
Nice to see some (presumable) confirmation of which six services will be loco hauled. Thanks.

Arriva 175

The 1121 Cardiff to Holyhead service is currently all request stops across Anglesey and a busy train for schoolkids travelling home from Bangor. That will be interesting to see how a rake of Mk 4s copes with one door only operation at Llanfair PG and Valley along with keeping to time.

craigybagel

Established Member
Onl

0705 Cardiff - Holyhead
1132 Holyhead - Cardiff
1716 Cardiff - Holyhead

Set 2 will work
0551 Holyhead - Cardiff
1121 Cardiff - Holyhead
1650 Holyhead - Cardiff

Rake 3 will be spare.

Source?

Bikeman78

Established Member
The 1121 Cardiff to Holyhead service is currently all request stops across Anglesey and a busy train for schoolkids travelling home from Bangor. That will be interesting to see how a rake of Mk 4s copes with one door only operation at Llanfair PG and Valley along with keeping to time.
On the plus side it has plenty of time at Holyhead and it's a ferry connection so it is very busy west of Chester. A four car train would be ideal.

sw1ller

Established Member
If the HSTs do come, there’s an issue with space at holyhead, not a clue what it is but they can only shunt a 5 car onto fuel or something. So the HSTs will only be 3 carriages. Just something I overheard today.

krus_aragon

Established Member
If the HSTs do come, there’s an issue with space at holyhead, not a clue what it is but they can only shunt a 5 car onto fuel or something. So the HSTs will only be 3 carriages. Just something I overheard today.
Either that, or there'll be a whole lot of shunting going on to send the power cars up to the fuel point one at a time! :)

sw1ller

Established Member
Either that, or there'll be a whole lot of shunting going on to send the power cars up to the fuel point one at a time! :)

Ha, maybe that’s what this recruitment drive is for, extra staff to do all the shunts.

I don’t know the set up up there, but the WAG has 6 vehicles and I’ve just seen the loco on the back tonight. So I’m not too sure what the issue is with 5 cars.

Status
Not open for further replies.