• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

TFW Trainee Conductor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jamie Price

So I passed my medical yesterday and my contract is being sent out ready to start training in Chester on October 14th. Going to be based in Shrewsbury if I make it through the training! I'm so pleased I've been trying to get this far for ages! Is anyone else down for this training course? As it would be nice to get to know some potential work mates before the day :D

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Jamie Price

Change of plan, spoken to the lovely lady at recruitment for TFW and they have offered me a new home depot of Chester! Very excited to get started so if there is anyone on here in the same position feel free to post! Also, any Chester guards on here who could give me any advice on training, links, routes rosters, traction signed etc it would be greatly appreciated :D:D

craigybagel

Established Member
Change of plan, spoken to the lovely lady at recruitment for TFW and they have offered me a new home depot of Chester! Very excited to get started so if there is anyone on here in the same position feel free to post! Also, any Chester guards on here who could give me any advice on training, links, routes rosters, traction signed etc it would be greatly appreciated :D:D

First of all, congratulations! You've got yourself a great job and even the training part is very enjoyable, you won't regret this decision.

You'll be in the classroom for about 9 or 10 weeks, although even within that they'll try and get you out and about on trains as much as possible. You'll have a period of route and traction learning (can be around 2 months to do that at Chester, it's a very big route card) and you'll have at least 3 weeks (one in the middle of your classroom training and the other two just before you pass out) on the job training with an experienced conductor, working their shifts with them. Don't worry too much though, the trainer's will explain the process.

Chester conductors are all in one big link.

Traction at present for all Chester conductors is 150,153,158, 175. 230s should be coming by the time you pass out as well.

Routes are:
Chester - Manchester Airport (both via Chat Moss and Northwich)
Chester - Crewe,
Chester - Shrewsbury
Crewe - Shrewsbury
Shrewsbury - Birmingham International (both via Stour and via Bescot & Aston)
Crewe - Wolverhampton (via Stafford) (diversion only, no booked work)
Chester - Liverpool
Chester - Holyhead/Llandudno
Wrexham Central - Bidston

Earliest book on is about 0320, latest finish around 0100

Roster is a 4 day week, with Sundays outside. You're rostered to 1 in 3 Sundays. If you don't want to do it you can try and find someone else to do it but if you can't then you're obliged to work it. Whoever does work it will get it paid as overtime. You'll have a 5 day weekend every 3 weeks.

Jamie Price

First of all, congratulations! You've got yourself a great job and even the training part is very enjoyable, you won't regret this decision.

You'll be in the classroom for about 9 or 10 weeks, although even within that they'll try and get you out and about on trains as much as possible. You'll have a period of route and traction learning (can be around 2 months to do that at Chester, it's a very big route card) and you'll have at least 3 weeks (one in the middle of your classroom training and the other two just before you pass out) on the job training with an experienced conductor, working their shifts with them. Don't worry too much though, the trainer's will explain the process.

Traction at present for all Chester conductors is 150,153,158, 175. 230s should be coming by the time you pass out as well.

Routes are:
Chester - Crewe,
Chester - Shrewsbury
Crewe - Shrewsbury
Chester - Liverpool

Roster is a 4 day week, with Sundays outside. You're rostered to 1 in 3 Sundays. If you don't want to do it you can try and find someone else to do it but if you can't then you're obliged to work it. Whoever does work it will get it paid as overtime. You'll have a 5 day weekend every 3 weeks.
Craigybagel thanks very much that's great to know, really looking forward to getting started, I was originally going to shrewsbury but they asked if I would he happy to change due to changes in the Dec timetable, so I happily accepted rather than go into a talent pool! Where are you based mate?

GJL9916

I second what Craig says, well done and you’re gonna love it!

craigybagel

Established Member
Craigybagel thanks very much that's great to know, really looking forward to getting started, I was originally going to shrewsbury but they asked if I would he happy to change due to changes in the Dec timetable, so I happily accepted rather than go into a talent pool! Where are you based mate?

A nearby depot. Doubtless we'll work together soon enough :smile:

Jamie Price

Look forward to it, thanks for all your help regarding Shrewsbury and Chester depots, much appreciated!

Routes are:
Chester - Crewe,
Chester - Shrewsbury
Crewe - Shrewsbury
Chester - Liverpool

This is amazing info. Thanks Craig! I don't suppose you'd know the same details for a driver based at Crewe would you?

craigybagel

Established Member
This is amazing info. Thanks Craig! I don't suppose you'd know the same details for a driver based at Crewe would you?

Certainly. Am I to assume you're one of the Crewe trainees starting soon?

Drivers at Crewe are in two links. New starters go in to link B. Their traction at present is 150, 153, 158 and 175. Routes are:
Crewe - Manchester 4 ways (direct, via Styal, via Stoke, via Warrington)
Crewe - Chester - Shrewsbury
Crewe - Shrewsbury - Cardiff
Shrewsbury - Birmingham International (direct only, not via Bescot)
Crewe - Stafford - Wolverhampton (diversion only, no booked work)
Arriva Train care depot Crewe
Crewe electric depot
Shrewsbury Abbey Foregate yard.

If you ever move up to link A, you add Class 67 + DVT, and Cardiff Canton depot to the above.

The way the roster works is pretty much identical to the guards roster I mentioned above.

Earliest book on is around 0240, latest finish around 0200, plus there's 1 night job as well.

chmt

Certainly. Am I to assume you're one of the Crewe trainees starting soon?

Drivers at Crewe are in two links. New starters go in to link B. Their traction at present is 150, 153, 158 and 175. Routes are:
Crewe - Manchester 4 ways (direct, via Styal, via Stoke, via Warrington)
Crewe - Chester - Shrewsbury
Crewe - Shrewsbury - Cardiff
Shrewsbury - Birmingham International (direct only, not via Bescot)
Crewe - Stafford - Wolverhampton (diversion only, no booked work)
Arriva Train care depot Crewe
Crewe electric depot
Shrewsbury Abbey Foregate yard.

If you ever move up to link A, you add Class 67 + DVT, and Cardiff Canton depot to the above.

The way the roster works is pretty much identical to the guards roster I mentioned above.

Earliest book on is around 0240, latest finish around 0200, plus there's 1 night job as well.
I have a telephone interview coming up in Cardiff for a Trainee Driver. Will I need to know the Cardiff lines equivalent of the above? Or can you help? Thanks

Heno76

So I passed my medical yesterday and my contract is being sent out ready to start training in Chester on October 14th. Going to be based in Shrewsbury if I make it through the training! I'm so pleased I've been trying to get this far for ages! Is anyone else down for this training course? As it would be nice to get to know some potential work mates before the day :D

Congrats ! Out of interest how long did you have to wait for your medical date to come through ?

Jamie Price

Congrats ! Out of interest how long did you have to wait for your medical date to come through ?
Thank you! I had the interview on the wednesday, had a phone call on the thursday saying I'd been successful, and they would let me know soon regarding the medical, had an email on the monday with a copy of the letter for the medical, and the medical was 3 weeks after the interview. And I was subsequently offered the position formally on the same day as the medical via a phone call. Have you been waiting long?

Last edited:

Heno76

Thank you! I passed the assessment day workshop on the wednesday and I had an email on the monday with a copy of the letter for the medical. And the medical was 3 weeks after the assessment. And I was subsequently offered the position formally on the same day as the medical. Have you been waiting long?
Excellent stuff ! Bet you can't wait for the 14th now, not long to go. I applied for a CSA position and was verbally told I was successful on the 13th September and that a date will be arranged for my medical which can take a couple of weeks and if passed we can discuss start dates. Not heard anything as yet, been checking emails everyday was just wondering whether to contact them or wait it out. Was told in the interview that the next intake is middle of October so time is pushing on.

Jamie Price

Excellent stuff ! Bet you can't wait for the 14th now, not long to go. I applied for a CSA position and was verbally told I was successful on the 13th September and that a date will be arranged for my medical which can take a couple of weeks and if passed we can discuss start dates. Not heard anything as yet, been checking emails everyday was just wondering whether to contact them or wait it out. Was told in the interview that the next intake is middle of October so time is pushing on.
Maybe worth getting in contact as it's been well over 2 weeks now hasn't it, it is a notoriously drawn out long process getting a job in the industry by the seems of it, I've just been very lucky it's all been quite efficient! Where have you applied for mate? As I applied for CSA in Shrewsbury at the same time as the conductor role, and a mate of mine applied for Shrewsbury also, but it's still showing as submitted on his recruitment page? I'm totally going through the motions at work, waiting to finish next week!

Jamie Price

Congratulations by the way! Any way in is a good way in, and the money and conditions are very good for station staff so you'll be sorted then!

Heno76

Maybe worth getting in contact as it's been well over 2 weeks now hasn't it, it is a notoriously drawn out long process getting a job in the industry by the seems of it, I've just been very lucky it's all been quite efficient! Where have you applied for mate? As I applied for CSA in Shrewsbury at the same time as the conductor role, and a mate of mine applied for Shrewsbury also, but it's still showing as submitted on his recruitment page? I'm totally going through the motions at work, waiting to finish next week!
Applied for a maternity cover role in Rhyl. As my application for Chester i did back in February is still showing submitted. Went straight to interview and 2 weeks after received a call saying i'd got the job. My status online is now showing successful so it's obviously going through behind the scenes. Didn't want to seem to pushy or impatient by emailing as it's only just gone over the 2 weeks.

Heno76

Congratulations by the way! Any way in is a good way in, and the money and conditions are very good for station staff so you'll be sorted then!
Cheers mate really excited at the prospect just want to get the medical out of the way so I can get to training and start in ernest

Jamie Price

Applied for a maternity cover role in Rhyl. As my application for Chester i did back in February is still showing submitted. Went straight to interview and 2 weeks after received a call saying i'd got the job. My status online is now showing successful so it's obviously going through behind the scenes. Didn't want to seem to pushy or impatient by emailing as it's only just gone over the 2 weeks.
I emailed once as I hadn't heard out of them after my assessment workshop, and she got a little annoyed with me, so I've always held back since even if the suspense was killing me! And another thing, my online status only changed yesterday to successful, even though it's almost 3 weeks since I was offered the job, so I wouldn't worry if it says successful, you're ok, maybe they don't need to rush your medical through, depends when your predecessor goes on maternity leave? As I know there are driver training courses taking place over the next few months as well as the conductor training. It sounds like you've got nothing to worry about, but if you do feel a bit concerned email HR and I'm sure they will put you right mate. Hopefully see you out and about in the next few months!!!!

Heno76

I emailed once as I hadn't heard out of them after my assessment workshop, and she got a little annoyed with me, so I've always held back since even if the suspense was killing me! And another thing, my online status only changed yesterday to successful, even though it's almost 3 weeks since I was offered the job, so I wouldn't worry if it says successful, you're ok, maybe they don't need to rush your medical through, depends when your predecessor goes on maternity leave? As I know there are driver training courses taking place over the next few months as well as the conductor training. It sounds like you've got nothing to worry about, but if you do feel a bit concerned email HR and I'm sure they will put you right mate. Hopefully see you out and about in the next few months!!!!
Hope so bud ! If you ever find yourself in Rhyl say hi !! I emailed in the end purely as the OH has some extra work shifts coming up and I'd need to juggle child care around a bit. Hopefully they don't mind me doing so hopefully won't be too long eh ? Good luck with your training and all that

GJL9916

I wouldn’t worry too much mine still says waiting in the talent pool and I started with them 6 months ago!

Bikkushii

My application isn't even on my account anymore lol. I applied for a driver and my submission says that I didn't make it through, but my conductor one - nada.

The only way I know I am still in the pool is that I emailed for an update. Still no news on Crewe courses, according to the recruitment team :/

Jamie Price

Hope so bud ! If you ever find yourself in Rhyl say hi !! I emailed in the end purely as the OH has some extra work shifts coming up and I'd need to juggle child care around a bit. Hopefully they don't mind me doing so hopefully won't be too long eh ? Good luck with your training and all that
Sorry I didn't see this post til now! It'll be sorted mate I've just had to email recruitment and she's so lovely so I'm sure you'll get the info back that you need. I think I'll be signing Holyhead providing I get through the training so ill be looking out for you! Cheers mate bring it on :lol: you too!

Heno76

Sorry I didn't see this post til now! It'll be sorted mate I've just had to email recruitment and she's so lovely so I'm sure you'll get the info back that you need. I think I'll be signing Holyhead providing I get through the training so ill be looking out for you! Cheers mate bring it on :lol: you too!
Cheers mate ! Did you use the Erecruitment address they used to email you regarding interviews etc only email address I have for them?

Does anyone know when they'll next be recruiting for either Chester or Crewe

Jamie Price

Cheers mate ! Did you use the Erecruitment address they used to email you regarding interviews etc only email address I have for them?
No I emailed Pauline who is head of recruitment, she is lovely but she had a lot in her plate that day to be fair. It was Pauline I had all of my correspondence with.

Does anyone know when they'll next be recruiting for either Chester or Crewe
Probably in the new year now there are driver and conductor courses running through til xmas for conductors and beyond xmas for drivers at chester. Not sure about Crewe mind.

Heno76

No I emailed Pauline who is head of recruitment, she is lovely but she had a lot in her plate that day to be fair. It was Pauline I had all of my correspondence with.

Probably in the new year now there are driver and conductor courses running through til xmas for conductors and beyond xmas for drivers at chester. Not sure about Crewe mind.

Yeah Pauline was at my interview and I've spoken to her a couple of times. Haven't got a direct email for her unfortunately. Only a Cardiff number she phoned me on a few weeks back.

Status
Not open for further replies.