• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

TFW (Trainee Train Driver Cardiff and Chester_

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Plodster

Okay, know someone who is in for Cardiff but he hadn’t had an email.
Probably working through Chester first unless anyone in for Cardiff has had any mails through
Did your mate do the questionnaire yet?

jezzer34

i am in for Cardiff and have had questionnaire and the email above. email was sent about 10 days ago.

Burt807

Not a sausage, and I've also applied for a couple of more local vacancies, and despite emailing TFW, nothing, not even an acknowledgement. Hard to fathom, particularly since they're still actively posting jobs.

Railway123321

Not a sausage, and I've also applied for a couple of more local vacancies, and despite emailing TFW, nothing, not even an acknowledgement. Hard to fathom, particularly since they're still actively posting jobs.
Ahhh at least i'm not the only one! Fingers crossed we will hear the outcome soon. :)

Manda2194

Advert out for Qualified Drivers for Chester.
Closes on 24th May.

Thats a blow. Hopefully, it doesnt the number of trainee positions for us.

Thinking about it though I cannot think of too many other TOCs they can poach drivers from. Just Merseyrail perhaps?

Eccles1983

On Moderation
Thats a blow. Hopefully, it doesnt the number of trainee positions for us.

Thinking about it though I cannot think of too many other TOCs they can poach drivers from. Just Merseyrail perhaps?

Merseyrail, Northern and freight.

It will be attractive to a few qualified drivers.

At least 10 drivers applied last time they did it, and they took on 2.

irish_rail

Established Member
Merseyrail, Northern and freight.

It will be attractive to a few qualified drivers.

At least 10 drivers applied last time they did it, and they took on 2.
I'd be shocked if any driver took the risk of moving TOC at the present time. The only applicants they may get is from those who have been furloughed and have little to lose anyway.

Eccles1983

On Moderation
I'd be shocked if any driver took the risk of moving TOC at the present time. The only applicants they may get is from those who have been furloughed and have little to lose anyway.

From hull trains or GC? Bit far out to meet the 45 min travel time.

I don't know of any other toc that has furloughed anyone.

However I do expect TOC's to turn the taps off recruitment. Social distancing is going to be here for the long haul, and no training is happening, the ones already in the system are sitting at home with the sword of Damocles over them, as they are expendable with certain contractual nuisances, even route learning for qualified has been kicked in the long grass.

That with the likely fall in passenger numbers means that I wouldn't be hanging my hopes of any TOC going through with any recruitment drive in the near or medium future.

Manda2194

From hull trains or GC? Bit far out to meet the 45 min travel time.

I don't know of any other toc that has furloughed anyone.

However I do expect TOC's to turn the taps off recruitment. Social distancing is going to be here for the long haul, and no training is happening, the ones already in the system are sitting at home with the sword of Damocles over them, as they are expendable with certain contractual nuisances, even route learning for qualified has been kicked in the long grass.

That with the likely fall in passenger numbers means that I wouldn't be hanging my hopes of any TOC going through with any recruitment drive in the near or medium future.

This raises a good point actually of how training will go ahead. Obviously a massive part of training is sitting in the cab with your instructor. How will that work with social distancing?

Have all trainees been sent home so far?

Eccles1983

On Moderation
Yes.

No second person in any cab, not even managers.

I can't see how any training is going to take place, classroom training is impossible unless they go for a massively reduced number in a class.

Even if they did then what? They can't go anywhere. And the amount of staff currently underused means that they don't require any more staff. I wouldn't be surprised to see voluntary redundancy offered to people in areas never mind in increase in staff.

craigybagel

Established Member
Yes.

No second person in any cab, not even managers.

I can't see how any training is going to take place, classroom training is impossible unless they go for a massively reduced number in a class.

Even if they did then what? They can't go anywhere. And the amount of staff currently underused means that they don't require any more staff. I wouldn't be surprised to see voluntary redundancy offered to people in areas never mind in increase in staff.

I wouldn't be that down hearted on it all just yet. The latest drivers course that was due to start AFTER the lockdown came in and all existing trainees were sent home still started on schedule, with all learning being done online for now. Whilst it is true that there are a lot of drivers at various stages of their manual handling hours who are stuck in limbo, I was told the other day that this issue is being looked at at present, and hopefully some kind of solution can be found.

As for whether staff are needed - at my own depot we have 1 or 2 in on rest day work pretty much every day. With the amount off sick even with the present much reduced timetable we can't cover all the work just through ordinarily rostered drivers - and that's before services start getting increased imminently. And when restrictions do get eased eventually there is going to be a massive backlog on route learning and assessments and goodness knows whatever else for everyone to catch up on.

Eccles1983

On Moderation
Well at my depot we have at least 10 spare turns daily. I've driven a handful of trains in several weeks.

There is simply no work, and this is with cross cover work. No one except the odd night turn has been rest day work.

Chester links sign - Holyhead - Manchester Pic. Llandudno. Wrexham-Bidston. Chester-Shrewsbury via Wrexham/Crewe. Crewe/Salop local. Birmingham International, Stafford/Bescot* Manchester Airport*. Chester-Man Pic via Stockport*
Liverpool via Halton Curve.

*Link specific work.

craigybagel

Established Member
Well at my depot we have at least 10 spare turns daily. I've driven a handful of trains in several weeks.

There is simply no work, and this is with cross cover work. No one except the odd night turn has been rest day work.

Chester links sign - Holyhead - Manchester Pic. Llandudno. Wrexham-Bidston. Chester-Shrewsbury via Wrexham/Crewe. Crewe/Salop local. Birmingham International, Stafford/Bescot* Manchester Airport*. Chester-Man Pic via Stockport*

*Link specific work.

It's true it's mostly late shifts we're struggling with at our place (we also have several spare every morning) but it's definitely not a rare thing here. But then we do have several trainees stuck at home, at least two of whom should have been productive by now. I only got through in time myself by the skin of my teeth.

Manda2194

*Link specific work.

do you mind if I ask if you work for tfw yourself.

Status
Not open for further replies.